Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got some new smaller indicators for my 78 CB400t. Im not sure if this has been discussed yet however, I can't figure out how to mount these things. The stock indicators on the front are mounted on extentions holding the headlight in place so I was thinking of chopping the extentions and threading the newly cut piece.

The rears are mounted on to the sissy bar and... well I dont know really what to do there. I dont want to get in to some serious mods if I dont have to so if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
pics of your new signals would help. when i put aftermarket blinkers on my bike, they had threaded "stalks" with lock washers and nuts. i attached them to the holes on the headlight mounting ears, pretty straight foward. on the rear, i was going to hang them in a hole in the subframe that was made to hold a luggage rack, but my R1 tail light had turn signals built into it, so there was no need for that

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I think we are talking about the same indicators cause there are threaded stalks and nuts and washer for each. Im trying to find a picture on the net cause im not at home but im not having any luck. But in any event... I should be able to get both the head light secured and the lights on with the stalks on the new indicators?

Honestly I have to look in to the rears cause I didnt spend too much time on them. It could be easier that I thought.

·
Registered
699 Posts
yeah man, your signals will work just like a bolt with a nut, just the bolt head is a turn signal instead of a hex or allen head. you need to be careful with them, if you get them too tight, you will seperate the rubber from the light (it is vulcanized on ther) so just watch when it starts to get snug and if you see it starting to twist and seperate, you have them tight enough. click on the thread in my signature and scroll till you see the signals i have on my bike, that might give you an idea of what i am talking about

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Ok - ditch old stock signals. Ditch the stock headlight ears if you want also. Remove the headlight bolts, and use the signal stalks to mount the headlight to the ears. viola, clean and tidy.

For the rear, when you remove the signals from the sissy bar there should be a plate with a hole in it. Just use the hole to mount your new signals. If you want to ditch the sissy bar (which I think is a pretty good idea), find the end of the frame rails in the back of the bike, there is usually a hole where a bolt goes to mount the rear fender. Remove the bolt and use that hole to mount your signals.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by 2smokeTyler

yeah man, your signals will work just like a bolt with a nut, just the bolt head is a turn signal instead of a hex or allen head. you need to be careful with them, if you get them too tight, you will seperate the rubber from the light (it is vulcanized on ther) so just watch when it starts to get snug and if you see it starting to twist and seperate, you have them tight enough. click on the thread in my signature and scroll till you see the signals i have on my bike, that might give you an idea of what i am talking about
That's your bike?!?... nice to speak with you finally. I was looking at that thread last week with my lady and admiring the work. Im surprised I didnt put the two together yet.

Thanks for the advise man.

·
Registered
699 Posts
hey no problem at all. i actually have a spare set of those lights that are on my bike. i was going to use a set for the rear, but my R1 tail light has integrated tail lights in the brake light. let me know if you want what i have. thanks for the compliments on my bike!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by 2smokeTyler

hey no problem at all. i actually have a spare set of those lights that are on my bike. i was going to use a set for the rear, but my R1 tail light has integrated tail lights in the brake light. let me know if you want what i have. thanks for the compliments on my bike!
when you get a moment... check out this thread of what I did last night.

http://www.caferacer.net/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7599

·
Registered
699 Posts
good luck with that...wiring is not fun, especially when you get snipper happy. you'll get it. i think at this point, your best bet is a wiring diagram

1 - 9 of 9 Posts