Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance for any input. I'm trying to install my rearsets on a 1977 CB550 and I don't like their position when mounted in the passenger peg holes. They seem too far back for me. I got this idea to weld a tab to each side of the frame and then bolt my brackets to the tab, then I could put them where I want them. My question is....Will there be any strength issues with welding these tabs to the tubing of the frame? Is the frame material strong enough to support a rider with only a 1/4" wide contact area? I plan to put large fillet welds on either side of the 1/4" plate to disperse the pressure but I'm concerned it's not enough. Your thoughts?

Here are a couple pictures of the tabs I made up bolted to the brackets and rearsets.....

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Your tabs look super thick to me which doesn't help for anything.

I'd more use a tab like this;

It distributes the load around the tube, don't recall the proper term. Search here for the proper gusset installation thread same concept

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
The tab that Ken is showing is what I'm using on two of my race bikes. Weld a nut to the back of the tab, weld the tab to the frame and you're all set. The tabs you're showing are the right idea but a heck of a lot thicker than they need to be.

Craig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts