Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a dilemma. I'm moving back to Madison, WI and I'm going to need a space to work on bikes. I need to live close to (or in) downtown, and garages are hard to come by there. How have you northerners in close spaces dealt with this problem? Do you work out of storage units? Rent space at motorcycle repair shops?

Hell, I'm even looking around for 1st floor places, thinking maybe I could devote a bedroom to the purpose. Does make oil changes rather harrowing, of course, and painting's a bit complicated.

Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Incidentally, if anyone in the Madison area's looking for some tinkering company, I'm always happy to lend a hand, brain or tool.

Alex

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
try joining the Milwaukee VinMoto list, there may be some madison stragglers on there who could help.

Try to find some locals to share a shop space with... posting on craigslist or the AHRMA forum? maybe the vintage roadrace mailing list?

I share my space with a bunch of folks, it's the only way to manage in a city.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Alex,
How close to the square do you need to be? You might want to consider the Williamson street area. It is a little odd on that side of town, but there may be some garages or work areas there. Having to compete with college students for housing makes it expensive on the other sides of the square.
I'll be back in WI in April and in and around Madison visiting my sister all summer.
When are you going to be moving back? Are you going to be at Road America in June?

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
quote:
Got a dilemma. I'm moving back to Madison, WI and I'm going to need a space to work on bikes. I need to live close to (or in) downtown, and garages are hard to come by there. How have you northerners in close spaces dealt with this problem? Do you work out of storage units? Rent space at motorcycle repair shops?

Hell, I'm even looking around for 1st floor places, thinking maybe I could devote a bedroom to the purpose. Does make oil changes rather harrowing, of course, and painting's a bit complicated.

Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Incidentally, if anyone in the Madison area's looking for some tinkering company, I'm always happy to lend a hand, brain or tool.

Alex
I sure do miss Madtown. 20 square miles surrounded by reality!

Yeller'
---
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs”

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
quote:
or to share heat.....

nyc is cold, i can only imagine what madison is like!

good luck.

tex

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto
As a true/red and white cheesehead tex, who spent over half of his life in Wisconsin, five years of that in Madison, let me tell you, there is really no other place on earth like that City. Austin is close. Go Bucky!

Yeller'
---
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs”

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the good advice guys. Might have it worked out... just found a place right downtown that comes with a private unfinished basement... sounds like a workshop to me.

Funny, I've lived in both Madison and Austin TX. IMHO Austin's better, but mostly that's just because I'm sick of being cold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts