Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I've always wondered if there is something special about speed that allows them to lean that far.
I mean, could I go out to the parking lot and lean 55-60 deg? I want to try...

Maybe it's the stability of the spinning gyros that makes teetering on and over the edge possible?

·
Registered
760 Posts
i'd expect it's the tyres. if they can restrain the centrifugal force trying to throw the thing off the side of the road, you can keep going faster, and to do so you need to lean it more.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
If I recall correctly, it has something to do with the way the rubber from the tire interacts with the pavement and how the assumption of a coefficient of friction doesn't accurately model what really happens.

But, it was a LONG time ago that I was having this discussion with someone who should know, so...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts

I could watch this all day...
Honda is now killing them on the straights! Combined with the superior front end and MM's skill, this may be a small victory for Ducati in an otherwise dominant Honda/MM year.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
BTW, are you watching Motoamerica? They frickin' pre empted Race 1 for boxing. But there was some high drama at the end of race 1.
full race on youtube channel...

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
No idea what tyres he was using but rim widths are shrinking (down to as 'little' as 5" from the 6.5 inch that was normal few years ago) That gives taller profile and more rubber on the road at high lean angles. Still damn impressive though

1 - 16 of 16 Posts