Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I used to be a regular reader of WIRED...but stopped because....almost all the authors are idiots. They used to be a great technology mag, but now their wussy agenda is so evident it colors everything they write.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:
I used to be a regular reader of WIRED...but stopped because....almost all the authors are idiots. They used to be a great technology mag, but now their wussy agenda is so evident it colors everything they write.
JohnnyB
i couldn't agree more!

"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion." -Edward Abbey

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
this was way more interesting:
http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/magazine/15-12/st_xwing

Has anybody else seen one of these exotica mv's? My local everything italian bike dealer had one in at the same time I was having my duc serviced. I want to say it is light enough for me to pick up by myself, I want to say it but I can't. It certainly looks like it though.

Short of a dry lake bed somewhere I don't know where you could even use that bike to 1/8th of it's potential.

At this point I don't know why they are making sport bikes faster...once they got into the single digit 1/4 mile times they really exceeded what was "safe" on the street. the difference between a 9 second bike and an 8 second bike is nil on the street because either way the road surface can't really hold that kind of power.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You'd think with all that carbon fibre hanging out they'ed get it under 400 pounds. Subtract 23 pounds and $116,000 and you could get a new R1. Not that I want either. If my wallet were that big (and my pecker that small) I'd rather blow my wad on some handsome vintage bikes and maybe a 1098 with the spare change. I agree with Geet and I'm pretty content with sub 100hp bikes. To a certain degree, the less horsepower I have the more fun it is. Work for your speed! Geeto, that X-wing video is great. Reminded me of when I built a rocket out of a plastic mustard bottle. Very anti-climactic.

·
Registered
149 Posts
hey i was in an issue of wired magazine... the one on drifting.. like in 2001 it was awesome and the writer was a rad dude.. who picked me up at the airport in LA .. charles graeber was his name.. i dont read the magazine though so my experience is biased..

----------------------------
http://www.driftalliance.com

·
Registered
149 Posts
hey i was in an issue of wired magazine... the one on drifting.. like in 2001 it was awesome and the writer was a rad dude.. who picked me up at the airport in LA .. charles graeber was his name.. i dont read the magazine though so my experience is biased..

----------------------------
http://www.driftalliance.com

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
why isnt it red??

jc
because red paint can't keep up with it.

Aside from the silver stripes and pinstriping, I don't think the bike is actually painted. The one I saw had a dark tint to the clearcoat that allowed the carbon weave to show through at certain angles in the light. From other angles it looked plain black. It was a really cool effect.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
why isnt it red??

jc
because red paint can't keep up with it.

Aside from the silver stripes and pinstriping, I don't think the bike is actually painted. The one I saw had a dark tint to the clearcoat that allowed the carbon weave to show through at certain angles in the light. From other angles it looked plain black. It was a really cool effect.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quote:

as far as i'm concerned, there's little more fucntionally beautiful than a GOOD, clear coated, carbon laid up. sexxy.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quote:

as far as i'm concerned, there's little more fucntionally beautiful than a GOOD, clear coated, carbon laid up. sexxy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts