Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
306 Posts
I would never have seen that bike in the stock version Coopster. Well done Sir. You have a good eye.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I was skeptical but I, for the most part, I think I like it better than KTM's version. AND it is really nicely done.

Looking at the side shot. I am not crazy about the light and number plate, it just abruptly ends the nice shape you have through the rest of the bike. You have captured the curvature of the tank in the tail cap. Too me it would finish it by incorporating that same shape into the headlight bucket (more a cup than a bucket).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was skeptical but I, for the most part, I think I like it better than KTM's version. AND it is really nicely done.

Looking at the side shot. I am not crazy about the light and number plate, it just abruptly ends the nice shape you have through the rest of the bike. You have captured the curvature of the tank in the tail cap. Too me it would finish it by incorporating that same shape into the headlight bucket (more a cup than a bucket).
Thanks for the interesting points, and I agree, there is definitely an opera unity to revise this design, To explain where I ended up I should add some context, A few years back a customer asked me to acquire parts to street track his Harley XLR and I chose the early ktm super duke tail light as a starting point. He eventually changed his plan and I ended up with that light in stock. There is 2 raised rib lines on that tail light, which formed the basis of my sheet metal design plan. I had initially intended to make a different front race plate, but that changed to accommodate the factory headlight shell casing, and as with much of my work, it takes on its own life form. But I am keen to explore your concept, I might try and draw something up.

·
Administrator
243 Posts
Check out the link below for the build thread.
I'm surprised that you got it registered in QLD with the rear indicators. Years ago a cop slapped an unroadworthy on my Harley because the rear indicators weren't 12" (30cm) apart.

I had to replace them and present the bike to a police roadworthy inspection centre in Brissy.

Which I did, and immediately replaced them with my preferred ones once I 'passed' the inspection.

Very nice build, btw. (y)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think the “old” 12 inch rule is a thing of the past. I remember my son had problems in Tassie with the rear blinkers on a ZZR250 because they were too close, but there are loads of bikes on the road nowadays with blinkers well under 12” separation.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm surprised that you got it registered in QLD with the rear indicators. Years ago a cop slapped an unroadworthy on my Harley because the rear indicators weren't 12" (30cm) apart.

I had to replace them and present the bike to a police roadworthy inspection centre in Brissy.

Which I did, and immediately replaced them with my preferred ones once I 'passed' the inspection.

Very nice build, btw. (y)
Thanks for the praise, I have been building harleys for over 35 years, and I hear ya regarding the indicator thing, fortunately many of the old rules got updated when bikes like the softail deluxe came out with a narrower light bar. There was a big crackdown a few years back, and yes it does not meet adr completely, but as it was already registered I don’t mind stretching the rules a little. The only rule it does not meet is surface area requirement. And no rear reflector. I think they will be more concerned about the noise from the open pipe LOL.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the “old” 12 inch rule is a thing of the past. I remember my son had problems in Tassie with the rear blinkers on a ZZR250 because they were too close, but there are loads of bikes on the road nowadays with blinkers well under 12” separation.
Yes if I remember correctly it’s now 240mm

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think they measure centre to centre so if e marked, all's good.
I find the front rules more confusing, the min distance between is different but then elsewhere in the regs also says as wide as the widest part of the frame and height same front and rear and min distance from the head light.
The more you read the more rules you find and many production machines are questionable.

·
Administrator
243 Posts
And no rear reflector.
Got caught in an operation on the Aprilia Falco at Mt Glorious around the same time as the Hog (had both - one for Saturday - one for Sunday ;) ).

The copper was pretty good. Couldn't fault the bike other than the reflector and the rolled rego holder. The rego holder he let go as I was displaying the year and month.

He had seen me at the Mt Glorious Cafe a few times and we had actually chatted.

I bought a 10c bicycle reflector and put it on the end of a piece of aluminium...all good.

I think now (and possibly then) the reflector has to be a certain height from the ground.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 14 of 14 Posts