Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so last weekend i picked up a 1982 (maybe 83, i forget) yamaha rx50. it's a pretty rare bike, as they were never sold to the public, but only given to dealerships in promotion for the newly introduced virago.

so yeah, its a mini-chopper and ugly as hell, but its got a 2-stroke 50cc screamer of an engine (exactly the same engine as in the ysr50 race bikes!) this is awesome because i live about an hour from one of the biggest ysr50 performance shops in the country (team calamari racing)!

most people won't see the cafe potential in this bike, but i can see it, i know it's there....

anyway, here is the bike stock...

and here is the bike with my cb125 front end, rear wheel, and 12" shock...(just for mock up purposes and to check for clearance on the 18" rear wheel)...my friend sat the cb160 tank on it (its for my cb125)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dude...that bike is going to be hot hot hot.

Can you ditch the oil tank and run premix?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I have had three of them and yes they are rare!

I'll buy the stock tank if you'll consider selling it.

Condition doesn't matter so much.

Good luck and I think I have some bits laying about for one if you need anything for it, including a nearly complete bike with good engine....... maybe I should hang onto that and get busy with it, it already has drag bars on it.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Middle TN............ you? I'll update my profile and website. I just walked out to the semi I last recall seeing it in, it's still there but I now recall I snagged the new drag bars off it to make it easier to stash. I made a rigid out of one several years ago and this one has been earmarked for a little racer.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey hackA,

that's awesome that you have the same bike! ...you can have the tank for whatever it costs me to ship it, as i've got no use for it...i asked my friend with a '66 sportster and a 71 bsa lightning, both hardtailed, and he didn't want it, so it's yours. want the seat too? haha.

I'm currently on the hunt for a 24mm Mikuni flat slide, and a pair of narrow(1.4-1.6) 18" 36spoke aluminum rims... anybody got any laying around?

my next paycheck is going toward an oil pump plug (to convert to premix), and an aluminum top clamp (the original top clamp is a POS..its not even really a clamp!)

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
heck, I've more stuff than I can say grace over........ ring me up if you are ever thru this way

I don't get too awfully excited about doing forward air for nickles and dimes since I only have a station wagon for such chores and it's a 110 mile round trip for me

now if you want me to load some G's worth of stuff....... I'll get on it.

I'm not emotionally attached to it although it wouldn't bother me to drag it out and tart the lil hootchie up a bit.

I have a low shouldered WM1 19 with a small (say 4inch) half hub laced to it

looks like it would clean up very well and the hub is commonly referred to as a "chopper stopper"

but this one is actually a german hub off a small race bike

it has a speedo drive which means it isn't an American chopper aftermarket piece and the alloy rim is by the same company that makes those for Zundapp

ever seen a pair of Zundapp Sport wheels with 9 inch drums?

I'll look and see what else I have, it's possible I have something

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I have HS124 spigot mount Dellorto, square body flat slide, in need of a good cleaning and a kit. It's a bit rough but I think it can be recuperated. Be glad to cover shipping of the tank and send you this carb too.

Looked for the narrow 18 alloy rims, no gots.

Here is this 50 I have here, uglier than I recall and it accidentally got in the way of something else and really needs to leave before I get afflicted with it or have to put it back in my way, bfd, tell me how this can happen.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
mea culpa

the Dellorto flat slide is a SH2/24

I'll post a pic of it when it comes out of the ultrasonic

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Hackasaw
I don't see anyway to help you right now. If it's time sensitive or you need the space then do what you need to. At some point I'll be through the area but not soon.
sorry

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
no biggie, I just hate the idea of breaking it down and boxing it to ship or having to spend better than half a day forward airing it

got a case of anal glucoma with that

just don't see my ass doing it

maybe I'll see if I have a tank that suits it

I'm sure I have enough glass laying about to make a seat for it

just too many other irons in the fire

Mud, got the Dellorto broken down and it's getting a bath

I had never been into one of those and it sure looks like a very refined metering device, especially for a flat slide

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I have this front end and to have come off such a heavy bike, the forks are really wimpy

I think they would be really classy on the lil 50, and just about the right size

really incredible sheetmetal and beautifully cast trees

and then I have a ton of front ends off lil old Zundapps, NSU's, DKW's, Puchs

neat stuff

I think I like the bread loaf tank you have on it now too ;)

what is that from? some mid sixties yamaha? suzuki? riverside?

I know I should know what that tank is

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey HackA,

sounds like a good trade...send me your addy via e-mail and i'll try to ship out the tank by friday...

the tank shown is actually a cb160 tank stripped of it's side panels..i think it looks kinda sexy that way...

but for this bike I'm going to try to fabricate an aluminum tank/seat combo like this:

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Looks cool, are you going to do glass or alloy body bits?

well I was thinking I should know what it was!

Heck I have one of those 160's that look like a dream and it still has a tank on it

Cool, I look forward to seeing yours progress and try not to do it too good or I'll get bent and have to pull off other projects I have going and try to keep up with the Mudmonkey Jones's

The carb came out nice

I'll dry it off when I am back in the shop

shoot if apart and then zip it back together

maybe you'll be able to use it and for sure it's not something you'll see fitted to a yamamha very often

I am thinking I took it off an Aermachii..... maybe a HD Sprint

I'll tag you with a paypal and addy stuff when I've had coffee in the am

done for the day with anything that smells like work

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
scuse my camera, sometimes it takes goofy pix and I didn't even check

note, don't have the fuel thing but it is a common dellorto piece

not sure what's up with the cold start enrichener but I didn't force anything when I took it apart

the jets look pretty clean on the insides now

just did a quick easy on it and at least now it's clean enough to clean it some more

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
change of plans.....this weekend i rescued another rare 50cc bike from a neighbor's bushes...

its a 1990 honda ns50f (aka-barbie bike)...its got lots of things i love on bikes...matched wheels, monoshock, good frame geometry, 12volt, and its water cooled! hot damn!

some bummers though....fork tubes are toast, hubs are rusted to shit...but hey it was free!

sunday i stripped and cleaned it....no less than 10 different kinds of spiders living in this little guy!

ps- hey hackA, im gonna pass on the carb, but i'll get that tank out to you tomorrow if you'll e-mail your address (don't worry about the paypal, i'll probably be bugging you for little bits and pieces sometime down the road!)

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
hey cool, I've got a couple nice sets of Puch/Allstate wheels

be kinda neat to have interchangeable front and rear hubs

and they are clean looking

looks to me like those tubes could be untoasted with a set of v blocks and a press

can't see that they are kinked

now you have me thinking, there is a MB5? honda just down the road, red one with the factory bikini fairing on it and mag wheels

My shipping addy

201 Broadway
Hartsville Tn 37074

and it really isn't the least bit of a problem for me to shoot you over a paypal

I just snagged another cool old small dellorto off ebay

old funky one with the remote float bowl

and if you want a round slide mikuni in the 24mm range

I am pretty sure I have either 24's or 26's

maybe both

just let me know

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sweet,I like the tiny bikes too hence my Hodaka 100.

I have a old moped sitting out back that's locked up tighter than a drum I may have to get out and tinker with this Spring. That is if Spring ever decides to grace us with it's presence.

I'm sure you could find some Honda dirt bike fork tubes to fit that bike.
Maybe a whole front end? Looks like that one has leading axle stanchions.

Good luck on those projects.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts