Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is it so far. Waiting for the solo seat and bar-end mirrors to arrive, then I'll do some more detailing and paint.

Edited by - Chip on Oct 03 2007 04:22:07 AM

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nice bike buddy. What's up with the tank position? Is that intentional?

You know, there are some bikes that just beg for a glass solo cafe seat... but I just don't think this is one of them. Truly, if I were looking for a reason to spend money on this bike, that wouldn't be it. How about some shocks that aren't thirty years old and rusted beyond recognition? Tapered needle bearings? More tasteful gauges, if it's aesthetics you're after?

My .02.

A

·
Registered
687 Posts
don't listen to this guy, sell your left nut and use the money for a new seat, shocks, and tapered roller bearings just to start.

looks to me like that is a cb seat on a cl hence the gap or else it's a cb with a cl tank and pipes.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The seat that is on there is for a CB, I think. It was what was on there when I bought it. I got a solo seat for $50 so not much invested in that. I've got shocks on they way along with all the other stuff I'm waiting on. I've only had it about two weeks and the bars showed up first, so, that is what got done first.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't have to, but the riding position would be a little awkward with foward controls. I've got a set of FZR rearsets for the bike, but until I have time to fit them, I just flipped my shifter and use the passenger pegs for rearsets.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most of my time has been spent getting the carbs sorted and running right, but I've gotten the solo seat on (still need to finish upholstry), a funky taillight I had laying aroung trying to find a use for, and a set of bar-end mirrors. Still waiting for shocks to arrive. I'm kinda undecided about paint at this point.

·
Registered
77 Posts
looks awesome so far. it's inspiring me to start on my cb125. did you get the seat from glass from the past?

Edited by - mikeyshreds on Oct 03 2007 6:59:48 PM

·
Registered
148 Posts
dirty shisno.... i was the other bidder on that auction!!! well i'm glad u got a good deal... i'm not in real need of a seat yet, but that 50 dollars was in my "oh well" range. maybe i should announce that i'm gonna bid on these things!! or is that wrong???

03 rsv Tuono (STARF8R)
81 cb750f (stolen)
75 cl360 ("Chupa"thingy)

·
Registered
687 Posts
no worries, they post two every week, a black and a red. $50 is a good deal on the black. i have seen it go for as much as $120 while the red usually goes for a lot less. it would seem that people are afraid of painting so the bidding is focused on the black. it took some patience but i finally won a red one for $45.

chip, how about shooting a side profile. i want to see what you have going on in the gap between the seat and tank.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just finished painting so I was about to trow some more pics up anyway. I cut the front off an old seat to fill the gap between the tank and the seat. I'm in the process of making another seat cover so it's all one piece.

Edited by - Chip on Oct 15 2007 02:46:04 AM

Edited by - Chip on Oct 15 2007 3:19:57 PM

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just finished painting so I was about to trow some more pics up anyway. I cut the front off an old seat to fill the gap between the tank and the seat. I'm in the process of making another seat cover so it's all one piece.

Edited by - Chip on Oct 15 2007 02:46:04 AM

Edited by - Chip on Oct 15 2007 3:19:57 PM

·
Registered
77 Posts
wow, looks insane. good work chip.

what size tire do you have on the back?

I'm having a shocker finding a 3.00 17 for the back thats not an all-prpose.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Looks great Chip! I'm finishing up one of my CB200T cafe projects also with a Cosmo seat; just needs paint. What did you do for controls? Keep the stock shifter and brake setup? i couldn't tell by the pix. how about the control cables. Were the stock cables too long for those bars ?

Dreamqueen
USCRA #305

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For right now I am using the passenger pegs for rearsets and I flipped the shifter. I have a set of FZR rearsets that I'll put on soon. The cables were pretty long, but worked fine after some re-routing.

·
Registered
687 Posts
chip, your bike looks great but i'm really wondering why you painted before you filled the gap between your seat and tank. it would be a piece of cake to glass that seat another few inches to meet it. as it stands i can't imagine what you are going to do that won't look like shit. also i know you just recently bought those clubbies but you might talk to champ about his mini clubmans he has, they would probably fit your bike a lot better than the set you have now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts