Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Im back guys & heres my build so far , Im stoked its finally going back together , i just started the rebuild this week!!

Well I figured Ide start a Rebuild thread also of my progress.Short story on the bike. First off I have wanted to build one of these for years now but I usually have cars I'm working on preferably camaros in my garage & just no room. Well this year I have a empty garage So the search was on. I ended up searching the local www.craigslist.com here in town & ran across this bike. He was asking $500.00 OBO so I emailed him explaining what I wanted to do me & my oldest son & offered him $100.00 he said come pick it up its yours. The bike did run but I never started it. I just tore into the bike for a full rebuild. He also threw in the Headers the 4 into 1 that should sound awesome, I cant remember what kind he said they were.The bike has 17,000 miles onit, Its again a 73 which is the same year I was born so that's cool to me, The plan is a basic Cafe racer with a few of my own touches. Im going with all black & Champagne pearl gold on the rims & hubs with black spokes also a Champagne Checker flag down the center of the bike & the gauge bezels that should be just enough gold I don't want to over due it.The color is what you see on the Chrysler LHS`s & 300`s very suttle gold nothing drastic, Anyway keep checking back for new pics I do something to it just about everyday I'm hoping to have it down in the next few months & ready for Spring.I will also be making a full video montage of the rebuild as Carpy does I really like that idea. Anyway if I need some help Ill hit ya guys up for sure seeing how this is my first total rebuild.I usually only work on & rebuild Newer Sport bikes Ive built 4 of them.

Heres a couple videos also !!

Video 1 the way I bought it

http://www.dropshots.com/thesmiths24#albums/my 73 Honda CB750 rebuild/2007-09-23/18:41:00

Video 2 half way through the tear down

http://www.dropshots.com/thesmiths24#albums/my 73 Honda CB750 rebuild/2007-09-24/01:42:18

Well thats about it for now I will add more as I move along.

Well I was going to just chop it in half & make it a bobber fender but everyone does that so I decided to go custom & make it stand out a little & flame the rear fender. Heres some pics. I also got my cafe club bars & my rebuild kits for the carbs today , Piece by peice. Also got all the spokes painted black but they came out like crap & I may have to re do them that should be fun!!.

NEW PICS ADDED BELOW 4/7/08

Well the warm weather got me out & got everything painted wooo hoooo . I have evicted Christie out of my garage & now setting the Cafe Table up in the middle so I can start the rebuild , IM hoping in the next few weeks to have her back together as long as I don't run into very many problems. Here's a couple pics I ended up going with a Urethane flat satin black on everything then I will have the Gold Checker flag down the front fender over the tank & down the rear seat cowl , also the Rims will be gold with the Hubs & black spokes, & the head on the engine & the handle bars will also be gold, should look pretty slick when I'm done. Here's a couple pics of the paint job.

Mixing up the paint

This is a fresh coat of Epoxy primer

Have to get it all

Here's the finished Product 3 coats of very HARD urethane I was going to go base clear but I couldn't get the Flat look I wanted I want that old school Style flat Cafe

More to come I promise IM hoping to be riding it in the next month or 2 .

Heres some more pics Its going back together finally,Swing arm is on , center stand, kick stand, upper & lower tripple trees batterey box & tool tray . I also dropped off the rims to be respoked & trued , also new tires & tubes all mounted up should look awesome when I get them back!!

New pics 4/8/08 few more things done , ALso got alot of parts cleaned & ready to go on the bike, waiting on my fork seals to put the front forks on!! Wheels should be done by the weekend Im hoping.

Well The Rims are done & mounted wooo hoooo 4/11/08 pics added, Rims & Tires are awesome, also put the front forks on & a few other odds & ends. heres the pics.

More pics Today just a couple 4/12/08 took the bike off the table , ordered my piston ring set I need to get that motor buttoned back up, Painted the spedo & tach bezels gold to match the rims , painted a few other odds & ends I will put all those on tomorrow. More pics to come tomorrow.

More done today 4/13/08 Got the bars mounted , Rear brakes all hooked up front brakes almost all done, I set the old tank on & the seat pan just to get a look, Also messing around with some rear tail light ideas , slowley but surly!

Well finally got the engine all painted & ready to get put back in the bike wooo hooo.

I started painting the low gloss black & said OOPS i need to paint the head first, LOL

I also started working on the headlight bezel got it painted & cleared, started working on the side covers had a couple small cracks to fix & the orgional emblems I got them ready to repaint .

Ok the wife Helped me put the motor in today SHE ROCKS!!! THANK YOU wifey. Started putting on some more parts, the oil tank, shifter, brake pedal & switch all the engine mounts, Chain is on & adjusted, were getting there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More to come over the next couple weeks, MY rims & tires should be done in a week Im hoping I cant wait , after the fork seals come in Ill have a rolling chassis.

JOSH

·
Registered
216 Posts
Good job! I'm not really into the flames, but thats why your bike is gonna be sweet, it'll be yours. Keep it up, I can't wait to see more pics and commentary.

·
Registered
699 Posts
hey man, you are going through the EXACT same type of build i am going through. down to the cases and back up!! looks really good. i went with powder on my frame and swing arm, but you have professional painting tools and i had a spray can. i love the finish on your bike! keep up the good work and take it from me, i almost have my bike done, and just don't get in a hurry. those saturday's where it seemed like i got nothing done because i was cleaning a part or sanding out a run, those days are paying off now that it is going together. keep us updated!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Ya that rear flame fender Im not using I was going to but I really like the no rear fender look better. I may just ebay it someone will buy it on there LOL. Im in no hurry Tyler still ordering different parts here & there ya know. PLus I have a 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 that I ride whenever I get the itch. Heres a pic of my 675.

·
Registered
699 Posts
my next bike will be the 675 street triple...i LOVE That daytona. that thing is incredible. i have never heard a bad then about them!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've been drooling over the 675 since they came out. My girlfriend wants a sportbike/trackbike and a 675 is what she wants to get...

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Whiteboy -
Nice build you have going, I'm building a 69 cb750 myself and just got my frame blasted and painted yesterday, so I'm about at the same stage as you at the moment. I'm not sure about the flame rear fender, looks like it could spear a neighborhood cat if they got too close. I also have a picture diary going, I'm not sure if I have the time to post it here - but - keep your build pictures coming.

cb750's rule

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just added some new pics my Rims got done today so I mounted them up wooo hoo , They look awesome. now just need to get the brakes all mounted up & stuff like that , Im still in need of a piston ring but I have no idea which one to get I broke one when I was trying to put the head back on. Dont know what size theres like 3 sizes. Anyone know I dont have anything to mic the piston.

P.S Ive also decided as of right now NO fenders at all !!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just added more pics MAn Its getting so close but yet so far away, LOL!!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Glad to see you got the clubmans turned around! Looks like a thorough build, nice work.

FR

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL FR & me & my kid were screwing around with the bars I told him this is the way you have to ride it, LOL they were just sitting ion ther in the other pics there mounted now. Man that would suck if they were the other way ,LMAO!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I just added a few new pics. I just got the engine all painted & ready to go in the bike I cant wait!!! Also started on a few other parts have to keep this build moving!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts