Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally figured out how to post pics. duh! anywho, i've developed a lasting relationship with a milling machine. the result? lightweight cam gears for my T120R. the actual reason behind this is that triumph cam gears have a thread on the hub that a puller threads onto. well...once someone messes up those threads, there's no fixin' 'em. my solution was to drill out some lightening holes, then thread 3 of them so i could put a proper puller on them.
[/img]

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
You could probably drill holes inbetween those holes without causing a problem. Of course materials have changed, but modern bike with gear drive cams have gears that look like swiss cheese.
Gotta love a rotary table.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I'd not go any further if you are building a road going engine other than to magnaflux those gears, shot peen, and cryo them

I'd also relieve what appears to be some unattended to burrs on those holes

chamfer would be ok but I certainly prefer a nice radius

those gears can certainly be made too light and be rendered totally unable to absorb the shock loads of the valve train

seldom have I done a triumph case split and found worn cam bushings or journals

but I have split cases on sprint engines using alloy or seriously lighten stock cam gears and they do indeed wear out bushings, journals, tappet faces (very rapidly too) and even tappet blocks which seldom wear out with heavier wheels

FWIW

I do have a NOS set of Alloy Tech timing gears and CM pushrods for a long rod 650

I also have a very nice long rod head with welded intake spigots and very good 33mm intake ports

it has also been modified to use type three pushrod tubes

I'll never use them since I have no desire to build any more Triumph drag or sprint engines

so that stuff and quite a bit more is up for grabs

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks hacka. the pic makes it look like there are some burrs, they've all been removed, i think it's the lighting playing tricks. they've had a full run through of inspections and what not. i'm an aircraft mechanic, so going the extra mile with inspections is part of my DNA. this motor should be pretty nice in the end, lots of goodies goin' on. hell...i had dye penetrant inspections done on my wheels too! if you got any trump parts you're looking to get rid of, i might be interested. i've got a '71 T120RV that i'm going to start building when this project is finished.
rotary tables rule...even used it to make integral steering stops on the lower bearing cup. but i draw the line at 6 holes on a cam gear (3 would have been plenty, i got carried away). swiss cheese is good on rueben sandwiches, but not on vintage triumphs!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
lots of stuff including a stroker crank, cams, various tappet setups, and other odds/ends

I really don't see me needing much of any of it within the next 20 years

drop by if you are ever in my hood, bring money or some trading stock and I'll trade on just about anything

traded for an antique vacuum cleaner this week

I do have a very late spare 5 speed but will probably hang onto it for now since I have three 5 speed bikes and two are with the earlier cluster

I have plenty of spares set aside for the Triumphs I have

exception would be for my 79 parallel port head

wouldn't mind having a few spare odds and ends unique to it and that left foot shift

probably never need any though

anyhow, good luck and it is nice to see that actual motorcycle people inspect parts

has never ceased to amaze me that even a toothless hill billy whipping together a SBC will at least magnaflux all parts

but the big name engine builders of BMW, HD, and Brit just don't seem to think Zyglo and Mangaflux are needed in the least prior to assembly

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Hack,
What kind of vacuum cleaner? I'm a vacuum cleaner fan. I have an old Eureka 910 cannister that is one of my favorites.

There are whole websites devoted to vintage vacuum collectors....gotta love the interent.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I haven't even looked yet but I think it's a Hoover

stacked in the corner with a pile of other crap

funky deco looking thing with lots of sculpted chrome

blue and silver

1 - 8 of 8 Posts