Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there arent many of you that read The Horse. They printed an article about my BSA chopper in the current issue.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Nardi- congrats on the press. I had a 650 thunderbolt at one point and its fair to say it didn't look like that, aesthetics aside, the craft and attention to detail are obvious. No spool front hub? blasphemy! (again). cheers to a sweet build and some industry recognition. bcr

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Congrats and +1 with Hoof

details too because you know I'm not going to buy a copy and both Geno D and Alan M stopped sending me comps sometime after the Maddog worlds longest chopper thing

I think Alan sent me some of those because I put him on that and rounded up several for his Chopper book

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Chris, do you recall back around 2000 or 2001 when I showed pix of hand blown glass fitted to the tanks of my fat tire trident?

What is funny what that most said it was tasteless and now I see all manners of tanks with some form of visual level indicators.

Cool was BL's friend, Billy Velvet(maybe goes by Dee Dee Venom now) made them up for me and when BL saw them, he cussed because he didn't come up with it first.

Just curious, cannot recall if you were into that online scene back then or not.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hack around that time I was just getting into it. I was getting sick of the sport bike scene and I was going broke playing with airplanes. Your site/board was one of the first I started hanging out on.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
well Go, I'm not going to plunk down for the mag but holding out for a very shy and overly modest seeming Nardi to post up many more pix. You should check out his site, he's done some really cool builds.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Ok - I want to hear this, what do you have to do to get your MC in a magazine??? Approach them or buzz their office until they give in???? (my pipes are REALLL LOOOUUUUDDD)...

jez kidding..

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by bmartin

Ok - I want to hear this, what do you have to do to get your MC in a magazine??? Approach them or buzz their office until they give in???? (my pipes are REALLL LOOOUUUUDDD)...

jez kidding..
The easiest way to get your bike in a mag is to do something interesting with it. Most motorcycle mags get tons of features but are starved for riding pieces. That is how my cb750 ended up in jan/feb 2007 issue of M/C.

In the case of the horse, they have feature writers but take a decent amount of reader submissions. There is a specific way you have to approach it but the instructions are on their website.

If you don't want to write it yourself, then you just have to be at an event where someone who writes for the mags is and he or she has to like your bike enough to want to feature it. Sometimes they find it through the internet but that is rare.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
what do you mean do something interesting with it? like deliver pizzas with it or something? or make it stand out by have everything custom on it?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I mean:

- take a road trip with it on your fvorite roads
- set an iron butt record with it
- ride it to an event like mid-ohio or pebble beach

you know use your bike for some interesting activity and write about it. I did say travel piece immediatly before I said do something interesting.

if you are just going to wait around for somebody to do a feature on your bike you might be waiting a long time. You kind of have to be active about this stuff if you are serious about getting in a zine.

the new ironhorse is strapped for writers and content and they occasionally publish cafe racer features. If all you want is a feature on the bike this is probably your best bet but you will need to know how to write and take pictures.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Which one of these stories would you folks want to read about????

Iron butt ride - I rode one of my bikes from San Diego to Caribou Maine (with one day was a 1,000 mile day).

How to import your own bike from Japan...

How the world speed record on Treasure Island in California was set with the cops in chase and no ticket was issued...

Or I could write about the time a cop almost ran me off the road and I wrote him a ticket with his own ticket book...

Or the time I got pulled over for speeding and the cop pulled a gun on me....

Or the time in the salt flats some ya-hoos put a rattle snake on my bike and took of with my helmet and I when to jump on the bike to chase them down...

So I guess what your saying is - write your own story and submit it for publishing... That could be done..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had a good friend write the article and another take the pics. I followed along with the guidelines on the website and just submitted the article. Iron Horse has already contacted me and asked if they could publish my Triton when I get it done. Todd from IH seems to be into cafe bikes so thats probably your best bet.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
bmartin,

They would probably be interested in the how to import your bike from japan over at motorcycle classics.

IF you just want a straight up feature +1 on IH. I don't know how far up from NYC you are but I could shoot it and help you with the write up. E-mail me off forum and we'll work something out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts