Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Show of hands for those that have lower back and/or sciatica issues.
(i assume almost everyone raised their hands)
My Doc told me that 1 in 10 visits are back related. Seems pretty high but having lived with this pain for 2 months now i can understand why it would bring folk out of the wood work.

Mine started out lower back maybe 2 years ago but around March this year it morphed to a leg pain. Felt like I had pulled some muscles in my hamstring and calf.
A couple of times when i didn't have pain pills it about brought me tears it was so painful!

My treatments so far have been a few trips to a chiropractor - didn't offer much relief. THen a GP family doc visit and i was setup with naproxin 500mg twice a day. Didn't really kick the pain either so i switched myself to Advil gel capsules, 200mg. I take 3 of them every 4 hours. Still limp around but at least i'm not almost at tears. So far the Advil has worked the best.

I have a follow-up with the doc on monday where i'm going to ask for something more serious. Maybe a MRI to see how bad my back is.

As i understand it, stretching causes the nerve root to be pulled and pushed and scrape against the disks as it is pulling thru or being pushed back in. Thats why it hurts bending down and then it hurts just as much standing back up.

Anyone here have surgery? How invasive was it?

·
Registered
262 Posts
sciatica is caused by the irritation/compression of the sciatic nerve that runs down the back of your leg/thigh/buttock. It starts out as little nerve roots coming out from the spinal cord (single strands of nerves) and then slowly builds into a nerve the size of a 1cm diam rope. This nerve can be compressed anywhere along its elements and produce your symptoms. when the nerves are still little they branch off the main spinal cord and run off peripherally to you legs near disks (basically bushings that can bulge and put pressure on the nerves) and then run through bony tunnels called foramina (which with age narrow due to calcium deposition and arthritis) leading to "foraminal stenosis". Also your main spinal cord can be compressed if the spinal canal (surrounded by bone) becomes narrowed due to the same calcific deposits leading to pressure.....this is called "stenosis".
for accurate diagnosis, you need certain studies...xrays first, then MRI of the spine to see discs and nerves. there are a multitude of surgical options...and the results are amazing.
look up "laminectomy" and "foraminotomy", along with "discectomy" - these are for common variants causing sciatica. Everybody is a bit different.
My father had this surgery. He couldnt walk half a block without his hams and calves pulling and his foot falling asleep. Now he and I walked for 3 miles are a classic car show. Got my dad back. Pain free.
All surgery has its risks. Your family doc should point you in the right direction and you should see a neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon. Don't go nuts with the advil, it can ulcerate your stomach if used improperly.
Internet is your friend...so is youtube.
Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
My chiropractor has done wonders for me...cheaper and less dangerous than surgery. Tho the results take longer to feel.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Mine starts at the L5 disc... I take Meloxicam for the inflamation and Cyclobenzaprine if the muscules start to spas in my lower back as they tighten to protect the spine and nerves...

I get the symptoms down the leg and it gets as bad as "drop foot" ... it's like when your entire leg is asleep and you can not use your foot.....

oh, and ice tightens the back=bad, heat inflames the disk= bad . My alignment is fine... so no chiropractor ..... disc surgery at some point is the option.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The other thing that I found that helps is Chondroitin, MGM, and Glucosamine...basically a lubricant for your joints. Again only helpful if the symptoms are caused by bad alignment or severe bulge.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll report back Monday after my appointment. Today was only about a 3 out of 10 on the pain scale. Advil every 4 hours and a couple of walks during work breaks.
Dean, how often do you have problems? or do you take the meds daily as a preventive measure?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have an "episode" that puts me on the couch for a week a few times a year. I does not have to be from lifting an engine into a frame... it can be a simple as picking up the lid for the trash bin....... when that happens , I used to take oxydodone for the pain and the cyclobenzaprine for the spasming.... the oxy really just made me tired and grumpy without helping with the pain, so now I just use the cyclobenzaprine . I take the meloxicam when I fee the onset of general sciatica... daily. I don't take a preventative scrip ...

I do take the joint suppliments anyway ..... but I'm 61 and all of my joints are starting to hurt anyway ! :p

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
The other thing that I found that helps is Chondroitin, MGM, and Glucosamine...basically a lubricant for your joints. Again only helpful if the symptoms are caused by bad alignment or severe bulge.
I'm already taking all that stuff, plus Naproxen and Gabapentin at night so I can get a couple of hours sleep.(plus vitamin B6 and D)
I have L4/L5 plus L5/S1 herniated discs and a fractured vertebra (which only took 2 years to find :mad:)
Having 2 Laminectopy (laminectopies?) plus fusion
Having surgery on the 19th, I should have had it last month but wife's company wouldn't give her time off to look after me for a couple of weeks
Surprisingly, I've found two 'ordinary' aspirin (325mg) PLUS two 500mg Aceteminophin works as well or better than manu other drugs.
Either taken on it's own doesn't do much, but, together they work well.
Because they are non prescription (and real cheap) no research as to why it works is being done

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I have flare ups now and then, usually just annoying pain but some times I can barely move.

Advil helps, and once I can get up it helps to walk with BIG steps.

My problem is a protruding disc, have had it for years. Comes and goes.

Hope you get feeling better soon.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have felt your pain. Stretching seems to help sometimes. I had the disk at L4-L5 fixed 15 years ago. Took about 5-6 weeks to heal up. Things are faster now. I hope thing work out for you. Back pain is a bitch.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
BTW, just noticed, I had 3 MRI's which didn't show fracture, x-ray laying on left side, bend forward, second x-ray 'leaning back' showed about 1/4" movement on a vertebra (forget which, I'll ask i I can get copy)
That's when surgeon told me I was a candidate for surgery (after signing me off as MMI)
Strange thing is, I can ride 'cafe racer' or my Katana just fine, cruiser pushes my back the 'wrong' direction

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
broke a L4 in 2010 ( 3 mri's. 2 cort inj therapy's. 105 visits to PT.)now I only have- 1 hern disc, 3 bulging. all my L's are off 5-10%. plus both my SI joints are bad. and my left leg is about 3/4" shorter now. I walk listing to the left. but boy does feel good to be alive. I walk like shit , hobble when I have to run,but I can still ride my M/C's and my bicycles. and Ive got a mountain bike race this sunday.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Why even consider a surgery without any additional information? I had this problem a couple of months ago. I visited my physiotherapist who proceeded to treat the area on my lower back with ultra sound and an infra red machine of some kind. Before my 3 visits I could not even walk. After my visits a week later I am feeling great!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Why even consider a surgery without any additional information? I had this problem a couple of months ago. I visited my physiotherapist who proceeded to treat the area on my lower back with ultra sound and an infra red machine of some kind. Before my 3 visits I could not even walk. After my visits a week later I am feeling great!
Because this is America! The land of apple pie, real football, and over prescription! :) jk...im sure every case is different. The US is beginning to embrace less traditional options.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
This is so reassuring to read. I injured my back a year ago March. Workman's comp was anything but beneficial to me (unlike my then employer) and I've lived with a somewhat debilitating condition that has not only kept me of motorized bikes, but pedal bikes also. I carry a commercial Drivers license and as such pain meds are limited to the Ibu-napro-tylenol selections.

When I gave up on my employers insurance companies designated "doctor", I went to my chiro. The guy has scraped me up off the floor and glued me back together for over 20 years. It failed this time. Two courses of prednisone and I could almost feel my toes, all the time. I don't have much in the line of pain anymore, but the numbness sucks and is really interfering with my quality of life.

Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i've almost started to delete this thread twice (today and yesterday) because the title looks like one that the spammers would use to sell you Nike shoes or Ray Ban sunglasses.

play on.....LOL!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Already had 3 hydrocortizone injections, multiple rounds of PT, ultrasound, infra red, hydrocodone pills, etc
The sleeping less than 3 hrs without meds is getting to me as it's been over 2 yrs since accident
What pisses me off more than anything else though, I was doing a demonstration for student, 40+ yrs riding, racing, crashing, and never had serious accident, had much worse in 11-1/2 yrs teaching at MMI (who laid me off almost 2 yrs ago)

·
Registered
585 Posts
this is America! The land of apple pie, real football, and over prescription! :) jk...im sure every case is different. The US is beginning to embrace less traditional options.[/QUOTE]

I also suffer from this condition, probably from spending 12 hours a day leaning over a lathe and/or using clubmans and stock pegs when I was younger, WTF. I can stand some things in life but claiming American football as the real thing is certainly not one of them...it's rugby with PPE FFS!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Ten-twelve years ago I had sciatica in my left leg. I'd leave our shop to go eat lunch at my folks' and in four miles my leg would be asleep, drop foot asleep. Then it got to where my nuts and whatnot were also going numb and I got worried. I also had terrible back spasms, like drop me on the spot spasms. So I switch chiropractors, started riding dirt bikes again, and just generally did things that were good for my core. My chiropractor tells me other than crashing riding a dirt bike is the best thing I can do for my back, for real. I haven't been to the guy in close to five years so I believe this to be true.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts