Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Not a cafe racer, but it MIGHT go pretty fast in a straight line. That can be fun, too, but it goes on a different forum.

I've got 30 or so total restorations of classic Brit and Jap bikes; cool stuff, interesting engine builds, but they don't go on this forum. Neither do my 3 ZRX salvage builds, or my basket case resurrections, or a couple of really nice chopper builds.

Plenty of forums have an "other bikes" section, that wouldn't be a BAD idea, but also might invite some REALLY serious slagging...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Not a cafe racer, but it MIGHT go pretty fast in a straight line. That can be fun, too, but it goes on a different forum.

I've got 30 or so total restorations of classic Brit and Jap bikes; cool stuff, interesting engine builds, but they don't go on this forum. Neither do my 3 ZRX salvage builds, or my basket case resurrections, or a couple of really nice chopper builds.

Plenty of forums have an "other bikes" section, that wouldn't be a BAD idea, but also might invite some REALLY serious slagging...
Actually Paul, most of us here dig other stuff too. I love old 1970's choppers, esp IH sportsters and brit and jap stuff (the big twin stuff is boring now). Love adv bikes and interesting things. I doubt you would get a slagging if you posted in the title that it is "chopper related" etc.... One nice thing about this place is we really dig interesting solutions and fab work. Not this CF crap this guy is slinging, he's like the 4th guy with the "kit" idea in the last 5 years and honestly his isn't even one of the best - but his bike choice was interesting I actually wish he was able to string together a coherent sentence so he could have told us why an ER6N.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I thought it looked okay, but I immediately hit on his "it performs better" comment, till he explained that he reduced 37kg (80 lbs). That much weight can make a SIGNIFICANT difference in handling, accelleration, top speed, stopping power, etc.

So, it all sounds legit.

Styling is a totally different subject, and is VERY subjective. If you guys really are about performance, I think his claims are reasonable. (although I have no way of knowing if the actual weight loss was 80 lbs)

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I thought it looked okay, but I immediately hit on his "it performs better" comment, till he explained that he reduced 37kg (80 lbs). That much weight can make a SIGNIFICANT difference in handling, accelleration, top speed, stopping power, etc.

So, it all sounds legit.
Until you asked him to explain how and he tells you to do the math itself and then get fucked.

I agree a significant weight reduction can make a difference, but at one point he was spouting off about things with numerical increases without any numbers to back it up.

It didn't help that he was probably NOT from the UK as claimed but an ESL thai parts mfg trying to pass himself off as an Englishman so as to seem more trustworthy. Some of the stuff coming out of Thailand is OK, most of it is utter junk. Any time you see Thailand in reference to motorcycle parts, be very skeptical. Anytime they can't back up what they say - assume bogus.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I'm still somewhat lost. His posts had the appearance of spam, but he never mentioned actually selling the kits, only that he got one, and then his friend did, too. Wouldn't a spammer give a link or pricing, or some way to generate customers that might be interested? I don't get why his fuse got so lit.

Oh and Geeto, as to why the Versys. My understanding is (at least a few years ago) it had better suspension and chassis than the 650R. Back when AMA was running a Moto-ST (Super Twins...or Sport Twins I don't recall), Scott Russell ran a Versys based machine in the class. This was after the DMG take over, but the class was short lived, and only lasted one, or two years.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Oh and Geeto, as to why the Versys. My understanding is (at least a few years ago) it had better suspension and chassis than the 650R. Back when AMA was running a Moto-ST (Super Twins...or Sport Twins I don't recall), Scott Russell ran a Versys based machine in the class. This was after the DMG take over, but the class was short lived, and only lasted one, or two years.
See that's great info. I had a rental ninja 650R in Las Vegas one year and I can't say enough nice things about that bike. Now I can look at the versys with different eyes. Too bad our OP doesn't know how to communicate this (if he knows it at all).

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
the tail isn't working so well
And what the hell do you know about CF bodywork. I don't think you should be allowed to have an opinion until you start calling people on here dirty names, pitch a fit and hold your breath until you turn blue.

Your pal,
Ken

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I say we take up a collection and fly this idiot here where he can have a go with anyone of us. I'm willing to pay a 100 for that show...

BTW - nice picture of the turbo honda...

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
He sure couldn't have asked for an easier way of staying on the top of the lists.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I say we take up a collection and fly this idiot here where he can have a go with anyone of us. I'm willing to pay a 100 for that show...

BTW - nice picture of the turbo honda...
I say that if what his "brother" says is true then life is already doing a fantastic job of kicking his ass and the best revenge is to have a great life untroubled by someone's "cafe kit".

·
Registered
808 Posts
i find this whole thing rather frustrating. specifically from a business point of view, and how not to do it.

i have no issue with the choice of bike. in fact, given that out here it's on the LAMS list (learner approved motorcycle scheme) it's a prime candidate for all the hipsters getting into riding. the LAMS thing is not to be underestimated. the capacity limit is 660cc. for this, triumph build an au/nz only street triple 660 (shorter stroke, shorter block, different inlet cam, different mapping), ducati build an m659 based on the m696 (shorter stroke, different piston, different mapping), the yamaha mt07 we get has a smaller engine than the rest of the world to make it under 660cc, we don't get a non lams one as far as i can tell. all have restricted throttle openings too. the er6n has been available here as a lams from the get go i think.

so there's probably a good market for something like this out here. to capture that market you'd get the bike on bike exif, pipeburn, etc, to get some free publicity. they look at least as well done as a lot of the stuff you see there. then you'd publish a full run down of what needs to be done, some stripped photos, list of weight saved, etc. you know, all the shit people want to hear and see before they buy something. you put all that shit in an easy to find place, so the average punter can access it. like a website or facebook page. something the kids will think be into.

you don't put it on a forum where you can get questioned and as a consequence let your inner angry fuckwit moron brother out in your replies when the feedback you want doesn't come.

and you also accept that not everyone shares your opinion and realise that this is, in fact, a very common phenomenon in the world at large.

the net is already full of half arsed badly projected ideas.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Fuck the lams laws. Arse fell out of the 250 market values overnight.

other fun things: excludes the RGV250. Sorta understandable. Doesn't state in the qld or vic lists that the rg250 first model is restricted in spite of a powercurve like a capital L turned on its back.

wanna climb on a rd350? Vic pre 1975, no worries. Qld no dates given so whats to stop you grabbing an LC or first model RD plated RZ350? Long as its not a tzr 250 hey.

pre 60 stuff and most pom stuff is not power to weight listed. Not saying a G80CS, velo thruxton, roadized 7R/manx-inter hybrid, T120R or bulk other 180 and faster km/h racey from yesteryear is going to fall into the average learners lap, but the lists are vague.

one area where they aren't vague, wanna learn to ride on an IT490? Fucken sweet bro, its on there so go your hardest.

europe still restricts by first speed and capacity with rider age, then later by hp. I'm not saying a 34 hp restricted hayabusa is a great thing for your second bike but i'd sooner see a friend learn on one of those than a aircooled RD350 wheelstand machine or the joy of a IT490 (unless i wanted to buy the bike cheap after it tries to kill them).

·
Registered
477 Posts
You couldn't pay me to run a hand laid carbon fibre tank. There is a reason people whom are serious with CF use an autoclave.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
You couldn't pay me to run a hand laid carbon fibre tank. There is a reason people whom are serious with CF use an autoclave.

Hand laid carbon/epoxy vacuum bagged, vacuum infused and or hand laid vinyl ester /glass tanks all work well if the person constructing them knows what they are doing. Autoclaved carbon tanks are only as good as the person assembling and sealing them.

Tannermatic

41 - 60 of 74 Posts