Cafe Racer Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hand laid carbon/epoxy vacuum bagged, vacuum infused and or hand laid vinyl ester /glass tanks all work well if the person constructing them knows what they are doing. Autoclaved carbon tanks are only as good as the person assembling and sealing them.

Tannermatic
It is incredibly difficult to get all of the air out when hand laying carbon. Not to mention get the proper ratio of resin to material.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Question: We know that the correct ratio of resin to substrate is lightest and strongest, but does excess resin harm strength significantly? Obviously it's heavier, but is it much less strong? My guess is that most of us amateurs use too many layers of cloth/chopped strand (FRP) and even more resin as we err on the side of too much is never enough.

And do we know if those guys are vacuum bagging to pull out excess resin?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Question: We know that the correct ratio of resin to substrate is lightest and strongest, but does excess resin harm strength significantly? Obviously it's heavier, but is it much less strong? My guess is that most of us amateurs use too many layers of cloth/chopped strand (FRP) and even more resin as we err on the side of too much is never enough.

This is discussed frequently on boat and boat building forums. I'm not an expert on this at that level but I've read that vacuum bagging reduces the amount of resin used and also increases penentration of the resin into the fabic and distributes it evenly.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Is there a setting that will ping my phone if the OP ever comes back? Really enjoying this.

+1

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, that was a fun thread. If I had known beforehand, I would have had some popcorn handy. Please come back , pleeeeaaaseeeee

·
Registered
477 Posts

It makes it more brittle. For a seat pan, probably not going to be much an issue. Car body, much more of an issue. Vacuum bagging allows close to the proper mix of glass to resin, gives you better penetration, and removes all the air.

The best, most efficient, and of course most expensive way to do it, is pre-preg.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
the tail isn't working so well
this whole thing feels eerily familiar to me, about a year ago, i got an email asking about a discount on the worlds fucking cheapest cafe seat, to which i replied basically fuck off you fuckity fuck, then the brother of the cheapskate emailed me from the same address asking for the same seat without discount, apologizing for his brothers behavior. so as far as the seat, it was probably just a copy of a cheap seat they found, no reason to waste effort actually building a proper plug that fits and looks right

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
also, monkey, how do you figure out resin ratio? do you weigh the resin catch tank as you're pulling vacuum or do you just have a vacuum level you stick to based on the epoxy and setup? doesn't really apply to my production stuff, but it would be fun to play with for some of my personal projects

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Most of my figure of how much resin to use is based on experience. As far as the resin to cloth ratio.... ideal is 50% resin to 50% cloth.... in the real world... there is usually a higher percentage of resin. You can test this by doing a burn test... essentially weigh a cured sample, then burn the resin out go the sample using a torch... then weigh the sample after the resin has been completely burned out. The fiberglass is not flammable. I could go on and on... but I am not going to bore you.

You can always spot a rookie... they are the ones who catalyze 1 gallon of resin for a part the size of a tail section

When infusing.... I make an educated guess on the size of the item I am infusing.

Tannermatic

·
Registered
585 Posts
hello yes I'm from u.k born and bred but dyslexic
How come people who can't spell, try and claim to be dyslexic even when they're typing into a computer. Ever heard of 'spell check'?
There's no shame in being a bit thick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm new I'm chris i have just made this new carbon fibre cafe racer bike its a full bolt on kit for the er6n
witch is a great bike but ugly
now she's gone from beast to beauty and rides much better too and a real head turner
lost a lot of kg so performance is so much better a real corner caving weapon and better of the mark too top speed is up and its very comfortable too you can buy er6n cheap and the motors are great good torque and hp and easy bikes to live with it made sense to me because i can have the cafe racer looks with modern electric's and performance and their just like the cafe bikes of yester year but in modern form
its a full kit with nothing else to buy as extras a really complete kit lights ect mounts, seat, list goes on ,,, all i did was tell them what i wanted they did it ,, decals i mean the lot ,,
they even spray it for me
i was impressed with the book matched carbon too as its mirror imaged left and right side
my friend saw it on my phone then went out and built 1 too mines the 59 bike his is 79

please read and leave comments for me as i want and welcome your ideas and opinions if any body wants to ask I'm happy to reply to all of u ,,,,,:) ride safe new friends :)
are you selling these itens?

61 - 74 of 74 Posts