Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired, built in early/mid 70's.
riding, sorting rear disk brake, repairing front fender.
glass tank and fenders. shelby(?) mags. CL450 frame. CB500T power

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like! Very cool 450 hybrid.
Welcome aboard duck!
Jim

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
those look like shelby dowd mags. No relation to Shelby the car guy as near as I can tell.

Really cool bike. I love 1970s retro finishes, which means if you repaint that I may have to personally come to your house and stab you. Multiple times if you repaint it flat black. Just kidding.......or am I? Chances are that is a laquer finish which means with proper care she will shine up good as new. I am kinda curious what the pattern is in the center stripe? Is that a lace paint job?

I really dig that bike. It is a shame you don't see more of those xr flat track style seat cowls, everybody is so bubble back minded you think they were putting something in the water. That tail has a super sleek shape and I dig it.

I really dig the homemade rearsets. simple and effective.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for compliments. I'll try to get some photos of the tank top(nothing special) and brake setup this weekend. It's crude, bleed nipple down, have to take caliper off to bleed. No, I'm not gonna paint black. Might be hard matching the front fender once the hole is repaired but we'll try. Rear set needs some tweaking but works OK. I fell in love with bike a year ago and traded for her about 2 months back. AFAIK Shelby Dowd is Carrol Shelby. At least that's what all the on line biographies say. Factory was in the Central African Republic. She's fun to ride and geared for high speed but gets real twitchy around 60mph. Some work on the fork will fix that.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I stand corrected.

you might want to put a fork brace on the front end there. Honda steel front fenders have one incorproated into the mount and the front ends get kinda flexy without them. It is usually a problem on the bigger bikes but I could see it being an issue on the 450/500.

still a sweet bike.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Pretty cool in a Mad Max retro sort of way.
In period slang...That's pretty far out...you know...like..I dig it man!

I would just clean it up make it safe to ride with new rubber(vintage/period look?)and enjoy it just as it is.

I find when I drive or ride a older vehicle from a different time period I kinda get a sense of the thought processes/mindset at the time,and a better understanding of why things/machines where build or modified the way they were. It's a neat history lesson that you can actually experience and at least get a little taste of!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, I'm liking that bike myself. I'm with Geeto on that tracker seat, it IS a cool shape and not used as often as the regular cafe seat. Also, think it would be a good idea to have a fork brace too.

Take care, Bill;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts