Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the forums all the time but seldom post. I thought I would snap a few pics of my build and share with the community.

Here is how the project has been so far:

When I bought it the previous owner did not tighten down the centrifical oil filter bolt and I lost all oil pressure to the top end.....burned up the cam. With the help of a kind fellow on another forum, I rebuilt it.

Here is what I have done
honed cylinders
new rings
NOS cam and cam bearings
new gaskets
carb rebuild
new oil filter and end cap (old one had been grinded down)
GALLONS or carb cleaner and engine degreaser

ran great but currently it's running on one cylinder...grrrrr

Most of the work has been cleaning it up....she was a dirty girl

The exhaust and handle bars are not permanent, and will be changed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
very nice. thats how my little CB125S was alot of cleaning. BUt i went into the engine and made alot fo changes. but diffrent piston from another 125cc honda. 1mm over to give me 128CC. i had a powroll 145cc kit but then changed my mind wanted to do it old school. only use OEM honda parts for more performance. swapped out the head changed the intake and carb. now its down to the tranny. swapping gears from two toehr machines to get the ratios that I need to pull my finial gearing
rebuilt the forks trim here and there to save wt. changed the suspension around for better handling. so far this machine is going to be one fast little single cylinder cafe bike.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Man,I wish I had your wheels and engine!LOL

I don't know what I'm going to get into with my CB200 when I start in on it this Summer.

My bike is very rough,but these little Honda twins and singles(and yes even some of the fours) have so much Cafe style potential it's not even funny!

It PAINS me to say that as I am a devout KZ lover,but a lot of the 70's Hondas just have that built-in vintage racer look just waiting for a few little tweaks here and there to make them awesome looking.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
half the front spokes are rusted up so don't be too envious of the rims. You can have a clean engine too, lots of carb cleaner/engine degreaser and it helps to pull the engine as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here is how the bike sits now. obviously not all the parts are where they belong, but it's coming together...............

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
that's cool! good job, man! where'd those rearsets originate from?

kinda diggin' that seat too!

a proper motorcycle!

·
Registered
123 Posts
quote:Originally posted by cb175guy

rear sets are from a yamaha R-1 or R-6, can't remember. Thanks for the support.
Are yours at all "Buzzy" I put a set of aftermarket rearsets on mine and I have a ton of vibration through my feet. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here are some updated pics

rear brake light...hard to see, but i used 2 stock blinkers with three way bulbs hooked up with red lenses

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
keep in mind this bike is SMALL, with a rider on it....even the seat looks small.

Plus I wanted a sleek break light, and my battery is under there as well.

I wanted a different seat.....not a standard bubble style rivit seat like the one showing. I still have to add a pad.....

The seat was made for this frame (glass from the past).....styled after early Harley D./aermacchi racers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
take a look a the lines of this seat....I personally think they flow with the stock tank better than any other seat I've seen.

I will not sleep until I convince you that my seat is bad ass.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The shape is cool, but it seems too big. It's almost the same size as the tank. What's done is done, but it would be really cool if it were about 50% of it's current size.

These are just my opinions here.

--Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great job on your bike having said that I'd have to agree that seat looks big on that bike with that tank. I love the shape of your seat and the fact you have your battery and brake light setup (cool too by the way) under there. A bigger tank would definitely make a difference to the look, more balanced. Maybe (or maybe not) an older tank from a 70-71 would look better with it as it is a rounder shape.

This is the tank I mean (my cb175 in progress)

This is your style tank

Just a thought as it will fit straight on. Just my 2cents
By the way what clip-ons are those and where did you get them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for the reference on the earlier style tanks. I did not know that they were a taller tank. I'll try to score one for cheap and see if I like that one better with the seat. I really like the way your bike is shaping up. Are you planning on racing it, or is a street bike? I love seeing other 175 fanatics out there.

here is the contact info on the clip ons.

[email protected]

Rick Perreault

Perreault Performance Products

(206) 369-6217

GREAT GUY, he specializes in bigger modern sport bikes, but he is an honest seller. When I bought them he was extremely busy, but made time for me and got me the bars QUICK. perfect fit, awesome quality,
reasonable pricing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts