Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ran into a guy last week with a 1972 CL350. he was cleaning out his garage and wanted it gone. it wasnt running but it was 100% complete and he had a clear title for it. I offered him $150 and he was more then glad to let me have it. over the weekend i cleaned the carbs, put new plugs in, and a new batt. went and got some gas for it today and she started right up and runs/idles awesome. so all in all i got a complete running bike for under $200.

here are some pictures of how it looks right now. (i forgot to put the side cover on, opps) it needs a good cleaning.

i will be putting it through surgery very soon so keep your eyes open for a build thread. i plan to do somthing like this but with different exhaust, paint, and i may keep the elec start.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Jeezus, a complete running desireable bike for $200? That same bike would sell here in O.C. for well over $1,000.

Listen you guys, we ought to go into business. You guys ship me bikes like Monkeysled's CL350, and I'll sell them and we'll split the profits. We'll call it the Caferacer.net Let's Make Some Fuckin' Money Co-op. Anybody in?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha this was just a lucky find. cant wait to start the build. anyone have a ballpark figure of about how much it will cost me to build similar to the one pictured above if i do all the work, paint, and buy parts on ebay or where ever else i find for a bargain?? this is my first project motorcycle so i want an idea of what im getting myself into.

and get ready to hear alot of dumb tech questions!

·
Registered
326 Posts
quote:Originally posted by MonkeySled

haha this was just a lucky find. cant wait to start the build. anyone have a ballpark figure of about how much it will cost me to build similar to the one pictured above if i do all the work, paint, and buy parts on ebay or where ever else i find for a bargain?? this is my first project motorcycle so i want an idea of what im getting myself into.

and get ready to hear alot of dumb tech questions!
Don't know on costs.
You might go to the School/project site where that bike was built and see what all was done to it. I'd say most/some of the parts on that bike was donated by sponsors. Then you can do online searches for the same parts and see what they go for.

BTW you did great on getting that bike for that price running or not WITH a title. I'd jump at the chance to buy one for that in that condition. Hondas usually won't take much to get them running,unless something very bad happened to the engine at some point.

·
Registered
699 Posts
no need for dumb tech questions...we have a search function. but to give you an idea on cost, i told myself i was going to put my RD on the street for $1400, and $2800 later i'm still having teething problems with it. money is not the issue. it is the end result. buy parts when you have the money to, take a break when you dont. or be like me and buy parts constantly and live off of ramen noodles. your choice

·
Registered
187 Posts
The costs will shock you when you are done with a project. It does not seem like much because you are only spending $60 here, $20 there but after you are done and add it all up you will cry a bit. For a bike like the one pictured you would be looking at the $2000 ballpark. Lots of stuff adds up like powdercoating, chroming, polishing, painting, fab of custom parts, engine mods, exhaust mods, carb mods and so on.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Might i ask where you found the picture of your target bike, the red & white one at the bottom? that thing is slick. any more info out there on it?

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
flips it for 1500 on ebay, then buy someones done cafe. thats would be the most cost effective. you got a sweet sweet deal

flanged wheels and tires, youre going to spend 1k on that. without polishing brakes etc.... pistons bore cam and carbs, another 1k. then you only have wheels and a motor. starting to get the idea???

jc

·
Registered
699 Posts
nisky rules...holy crap! i got paid a lot of money today to look at their builds!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Costs will shock you really. My $20.00 Hodaka Ace 100(bought for $50.00/sold unneeded parts for $30.00=$20.00)will total about $1,600-1,800 with the performance mods I want to do to it. See how this works now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts