Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this site rules!

Now that I got that off my chest, I can start.

I have never had a motorcycle, and only been on friends bikes just down the street and back, so if I look like i have no clue what I'm doing, its because I dont.

I stumbled across this site a couple of months ago by accident and ever since I have wanted to build a cafe racer , so when a neighbor to my autoshop was selling his CM400T, I jumped on it. Wife wasnt to thrilled, but such is life.

I've gotten some good inspiration from pavel and tex, so hopefully I can put my own twist on it and come out with a winner.

Here is the bike:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright, so after being a total retard and finding the post on how to post pictures, here is the bike:

When I first got it, it had some major electrical issues. No lights, no starter, no signals, no gauges, it would run but only after a kick or two. Some previous owner clearly had no business working on this thing, wires everywhere. wires piggy backing off of others, and some cut and exposed for no reason. So after a few days chasing the gremlins out, and a new ignition switch, it lit up like a christmas tree and started with a quick hit of the button. Fires right up!

The list of to-dos:
fix electrical - check
new ignition switch - check
oil change - check
new handlebars
shorten cables - thanks pavel for the tut!
relocate wiring/battery
new seat
new paint
new chain
rearsets - maybe, gotta see how my 6'4 frame sits on this thing. might just have to suck it up
new/ fix hi/low switch - damn tiny spring keeps frying - more gremlins
relocate headlight
remove airbox
rejet/clean carb - woohoo
new gauges - digital?
once I have the bike the way I want it, its all coming apart, every nut and bolt, to be painted, polished, overhauled....

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright, so after being a total retard and finding the post on how to post pictures, here is the bike:

When I first got it, it had some major electrical issues. No lights, no starter, no signals, no gauges, it would run but only after a kick or two. Some previous owner clearly had no business working on this thing, wires everywhere. wires piggy backing off of others, and some cut and exposed for no reason. So after a few days chasing the gremlins out, and a new ignition switch, it lit up like a christmas tree and started with a quick hit of the button. Fires right up!

The list of to-dos:
fix electrical - check
new ignition switch - check
oil change - check
new handlebars
shorten cables - thanks pavel for the tut!
relocate wiring/battery
new seat
new paint
new chain
rearsets - maybe, gotta see how my 6'4 frame sits on this thing. might just have to suck it up
new/ fix hi/low switch - damn tiny spring keeps frying - more gremlins
relocate headlight
remove airbox
rejet/clean carb - woohoo
new gauges - digital?
once I have the bike the way I want it, its all coming apart, every nut and bolt, to be painted, polished, overhauled....

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having so much fun it should be illegal! I have restored classic cars, but nothing like a motorcycle. You cant really make a major change on a car and then go out and see how it feels all in the same day. Plus I have never, ever, worked on a motorcycle. So it is a learning experience for me. A car I can do in my sleep, I couldnt begin to tell you how to remove the triple tree on a bike.

This posting thing is new to me as well, but I will put up as many pics and details as I can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having so much fun it should be illegal! I have restored classic cars, but nothing like a motorcycle. You cant really make a major change on a car and then go out and see how it feels all in the same day. Plus I have never, ever, worked on a motorcycle. So it is a learning experience for me. A car I can do in my sleep, I couldnt begin to tell you how to remove the triple tree on a bike.

This posting thing is new to me as well, but I will put up as many pics and details as I can.

·
Registered
888 Posts
on that bike, loosen the two lower bolts on the botten triple, two top, center chrome nut and yer done. have fun with the carbs. i suggest getting mikunis. and keep the paint on the tank... it looks good. maybe sell that tank and buy another with shitty paint you can redo?

·
Registered
888 Posts
on that bike, loosen the two lower bolts on the botten triple, two top, center chrome nut and yer done. have fun with the carbs. i suggest getting mikunis. and keep the paint on the tank... it looks good. maybe sell that tank and buy another with shitty paint you can redo?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Allright, a nice little update, and some work done

I was bored at work the other day, so I drew (or attempted to draw anyway) a mock up of my ideas. Hard to see pencil!

here is a photo of some of the wiring mess. It looks WAY worse then I can get in the pic

Some awesome clip ons i picked up from a junk yard for $15. Aside from some paint chips, they are mint. Just needs a good polishing. I had to make some custom inserts because they are larger then my fork tubes. Took some old steel chain link fence post and made an insert the same shape as the fork clamp and put it between the clamp and fork. Works perfect! Had all my weight on one handle and no movement. Ill get some pics of the inserts tomorrow.

cut up the headlight brackets to fit the clip ons. probably goin to flip them upside down, not sure yet. need to see if it fits the lines Im goin for. gotta fix the dent on the left one, tips?

new (used, but new) hi/low switch. Gotta love junk yards, they threw it in for free with the clip ons

Ouch, check out the handle bar clamps! good thing I got rid of those. The grooves are all but gone and the old handle bar would swing forward no matter how tight you got those bolts!

Thanks Tex, now I can tackle that triple. Yeah, the paint looks pretty good for a 30yo bike, but Im not a fan of the maroon/purply color. Not sure what Im gonna do about that though, paint will be the LAST thing, but Im taking suggestions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Allright, a nice little update, and some work done

I was bored at work the other day, so I drew (or attempted to draw anyway) a mock up of my ideas. Hard to see pencil!

here is a photo of some of the wiring mess. It looks WAY worse then I can get in the pic

Some awesome clip ons i picked up from a junk yard for $15. Aside from some paint chips, they are mint. Just needs a good polishing. I had to make some custom inserts because they are larger then my fork tubes. Took some old steel chain link fence post and made an insert the same shape as the fork clamp and put it between the clamp and fork. Works perfect! Had all my weight on one handle and no movement. Ill get some pics of the inserts tomorrow.

cut up the headlight brackets to fit the clip ons. probably goin to flip them upside down, not sure yet. need to see if it fits the lines Im goin for. gotta fix the dent on the left one, tips?

new (used, but new) hi/low switch. Gotta love junk yards, they threw it in for free with the clip ons

Ouch, check out the handle bar clamps! good thing I got rid of those. The grooves are all but gone and the old handle bar would swing forward no matter how tight you got those bolts!

Thanks Tex, now I can tackle that triple. Yeah, the paint looks pretty good for a 30yo bike, but Im not a fan of the maroon/purply color. Not sure what Im gonna do about that though, paint will be the LAST thing, but Im taking suggestions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts