Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm getting ready to buy my first (second really i guess, i bought a '82 Seca but traded it away before i even got her started) bike. It's a 1978 Suzuki GS 750. I don't know much about bikes, and just discovered cafe racers recently. I was wondering what people think of these bikes and their cafe racer potential. I was also wondering if it is a good idea to try and make my first motorcycle ever into a cafe racer (would it be hard to learn to ride on?) I've never really ridden a motorcycle, but i'm fairly athletic and have decent balance and coordination, so i'm not too concerned about. My plan is to buy this bike from a kid that lived down the hall in my dorm. I'm going to check it out and make sure its roadworthy and everything. I want to keep it stock and learn to ride during the summer and then hopefully i'll come into some money, while i work over the summer and then maybe make her into a cafe racer over the winter, so its down when i wouldnt be riding anyways. I don't really know much about cafe racers so any suggestions would be great, i don't even know where i would start (assuming i buy this bike within the next couple weeks). I'm fairly mechanically inclined aswell. I've never really worked on motorcycles, but i've torn apart and rebuilt a few small engines and a small block chevy and a 2.0 from a mazda 626. so i'm not intimidated by working on the bike myself.

If anyone's curious, I live in New Hampshire. I'm 19 and go to the University of New Hampshire, i'm studying civil engineering.

thanks for any and all help,
Isagani

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The GS750 would be an excellent platform to start from. I am not sure if I would go with a classic cafe racer on it. would look to doing something like a superbike of the period. Perhaps along the lines of the Yoshimura 1000s of Wes Cooley. I would go with a set of superbike bars, 18" front wheel, double disk, quarter fairing and a 4 into one pipe. Rebuild the front forks and a fork brace. One of the oldstyle tubular ones would be cool and replace the rear shocks. Maybe cut down the seat a little and put on some good tires along with alloy rims and you would have a cool ride. An easily accomplished first project that would be a keeper.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Isagani,
Stop out to NHIS sometime and watch a bunch of the members here race their old bikes.
Next race is on Monday June 11th.
Welcome,
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i loved the gs i had for a summer. great bike.

jc

"tex, if your bikes a cheater, its not a very good one"

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have a 77 GS750 I am currently working on.I happen to like it and here is why:

- Faster than a cb750 (bore is the same as a kz900 with a much shorter stroke for those revs)
- roller bearing crank makes it nearly indestructible (most bikes use shell bearings).
- narrower and longer, much easier to throw a leg over than a chubby cb750 and more stable in a straight line (handling does suffer though)
- lots of passenger room
- disc rear brake

it has good cafe potential and there are decent mods out there. The weakness in those bikes is the charging system so be wary of any changing issues. The gs came with low bars (superbike bars) in europe and supposedly drag bars in germany and these give a pretty good riding position. YOu don't want cafe bars when learning to ride because your riding reflexes will not devlop right.

Personally I think that whatever bike you get ride it for 1 year befor you cut it up to see how your riding devlops. I have known a few guys who threw lots of cool parts on their bikes for looks and found out later that it doesn't really jive with the way they want to ride.

good resource site:

www.thegsresources.com

Edited by - geeto67 on Jun 04 2007 3:06:32 PM

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
welcome and your a born cafer you picked a good cafeable bike.all good advise given to you so far .I second them all!!

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

Edited by - LiLBull on Jun 04 2007 7:00:26 PM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts