Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, it's not big, it's probably not too fast, but it should be pretty light and fun to zip around on when I'm done. I ordered a Clymer manual off of ebay, but I'm definitely open to suggestions about other resources and such for learning how to do this. The guy is supposed to drop off the bike today sometime soon and I'll post pictures as soon as he does... I picked up a battery already, and some carb cleaner, and I got my tool kit set to go... so yeah. I guess it's time to just start taking things apart :-D I should give that guy another call to see what time he's coming around. Also- he recommended using Marvel Mystery Oil to get everything moving again... um- where exactly am I supposed to put that? I mean, I assume I don't just pour it in the tank? Oh well, I'll figure it out... Here's to being incompetent and not caring!

·
Registered
699 Posts
While Clymer manuals are pretty good, i suggest trying to track down the factory service manual that honda puts out. It will walk you through EVERYTHING. my experience with clymer is that sometimes they kind of generalize things that they think you should already know. Marvel mystery Oil is awesome, you could put it anywhere i suppose, put it in the tank if you dont mind some smoke. you may just want to pour some through the top end, or add some to the crank case. However, i would stay away from using it unless the bike is totally locked up. good luck with the build

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's pretty much the way of it. Though hopefully this stuff should make it unlock? The guy is dropping it off sometime in the next hour. I wonder how many days it will take to get it up and running... not too many, I hope.

·
Registered
123 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 2smokeTyler

While Clymer manuals are pretty good, i suggest trying to track down the factory service manual that honda puts out. It will walk you through EVERYTHING. my experience with clymer is that sometimes they kind of generalize things that they think you should already know. Marvel mystery Oil is awesome, you could put it anywhere i suppose, put it in the tank if you dont mind some smoke. you may just want to pour some through the top end, or add some to the crank case. However, i would stay away from using it unless the bike is totally locked up. good luck with the build
Do you have any good sources for factory service manuals? I've been meaning to look into it but.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, there's one on ebay, but the auction doesn't end for days. and there's only the one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
err, my bad. I found a site that let me download the shop manual for free... we'll just see in a few minutes if it's actually in english...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, so www.pro-bike.ro has a bunch of different manuals in PDF format, the cb175 manual appears at least to be legit: Complete and legible... as far as I can tell. Now if only my bike would show up. The guy was supposed to be here over an hour ago.

·
Registered
92 Posts
before you take everything apart, do some basics on the bike.

Clymer will tell you how to do a tune up.

sometimes that's all she'll need.

good luck, there are a few intense cb175 guys on this site that can help you go from stock to 12K RPM madness

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wheeee, that should be fun. Ok, apparently the guy's truck broke down last night so I have to go pick up the bike in my minivan? we'll see how this works... I'm not imagining it works that well, but we'll see. I'm also rather doubtful about things like me installing a new brake line. But who needs brakes anyway? Geeze.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, for all you 175 people out there... what size plug wrench do I need to get the spark plug out? the guy at the hardware store told me there were only two sizes- 5/8 or 13/16... however- obviously this is a lie as the 5/8 is too small and 13/16 is too big. And I can't find the info in the manual. Am I just being retarded?

·
Registered
569 Posts
18mm

dch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok... Well, this whole pouring MMO down the cylinders and rocking it back and forth hasn't seemed to unstick them yet. So I poured as much in as would go in (until it started leaking out the tailpipe) and I'm letting it sit while I have dinner... Any other ideas for how to unlock the cylinders?

·
Registered
105 Posts
quote:Originally posted by nixoid

Do you have any good sources for factory service manuals? I've been meaning to look into it but.....
I can email you the factory manual if you want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok... so- my brake line- is technically sort of long enough, but the plastic covering part is too long so there isn't enough of the steel cable line or whatever showing, so I either need to get a longer line, or some sort of adapter, or somehow shorten the length of the plastic part? I don't know if that's possible.

More importantly- my cylinders are stuck. all of the Marvel Mystery Oil I've poured down the right cylinder leaks out the tailpipe (???) and in the left cylinder I've put in enough MMO that any more I put in just overflows back out the spark plug hole. I've tried putting it in gear and rocking it back and forth, and I've tried jiggling the kickstarter... but it still seems to be pretty locked up. I'll leave it till the morning and see if it somehow did anything at all...

Speaking of the kick starter- I don't know if I'm making progress (I kind of doubt it) or if I'm just abusing some margin of error in the gearing or whatever, because while I can't get the kickstarter further than a certain distance in any one push, if I jiggle it I can get it past each spot where it sticks. Does this mean that the cylinders are in fact moving at least a little, or just that I've found a funny way to skip a tooth or some such thing on the gearing?

Someone I met today, who I don't know if they know what they're talking about or not, told me I had to take the head off and bang on the pistons with a block of wood to get them unstuck. I'm hesitant to do this unless absolutely necessary, is there anything anyone else can recommend to get the cylinders moving again? I know it was running a few months ago but then the guy left it outside and didn't start it for some number of months. So yeah, maybe the MMO will do the trick... I hope... Looking for other suggestions, or other ways to put force on the pistons to get them moving again that doesn't involve taking the head off the engine and having to buy a new head gasket. Not to mention new tools (I think I would need to go out and get some metric ratchet wrenches). Not that I don't love tools. I'm just broke.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
You mentioned that the guy that sold it to you said you'd need to use Marvel Mystery Oil to get it unstuck? Then the same guy told you that this bike was running a couple of months ago? But because it was left outside for a number of months the motor froze up?

Just a guess but I think it's been a lot longer than a couple of months since this has been runnning based only on the problems you're having getting the engine to turn over.

Marvel Mystery Oil should work if it's possible to save this without a complete rebuild. But it's going to take longer than a day or two of soaking the engine to get it to break free. Then there's the question of how it leaks out of one of the exhaust pipes without filling up the cylinder. I thought the 1971 CB175 was a vertical engine. I thought that the exhaust valve would be higher than the spark plug hole.

Bottom line I'd recommend putting the MMO in it and walking away for a week. Let it do it's stuff. If that doesn't work get out the big block of wood. Not what you wanted to hear I'd guess.

Good luck,
Craig

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's cool. I've never owned a motorcycle before, so I can just pretend like I don't own one now. I was just thinking it would make parking and going to work a lot easier, as parking downtown (anywhere) is always a pain in the rear. I looked at it, and the spark plug and exhaust look to be at nearly the same level, but the exhaust might be just slightly lower? or maybe it's at an incline? frankly I have no idea. Is there anything stronger than MMO that I could be using?

·
Registered
105 Posts
If worse comes to worse I've seen several goos 175 motors go on ebay for around $100 shipped. I'm going to pick up one to have just in case.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Meekle,
I am always a little leery of trying to break a stuck motor loose with the kickstarter. I worry about that much force breaking gears. Have you pulled the left engine cover and put a wrench on the alternator bolt and tried to tun the engine that way? Maybe it is the kickstarter that is the problem instead of the pistons?

Ken

·
Registered
241 Posts
Not to rain on the parade here, but from your description it's unlikely that you'll get it unstuck without disassembly, and also you're unlikely to get it unstuck easily even with disassembly. And once you do get it unstuck, you're likely going to find you need fresh pistons and a bore job.

Did it just sit out, or did it sit out with one or two spark plugs out? Or is it super humid where it sat out?

Rust is not your friend, and if the pistons are rusted in the bore the valves and valve seats are not likely to be in great shape either, and the rings are likely at least partially stuck in the ring grooves.

Now it's still possible that you'll be able to get it going and if you can great. If you can't - it's time to consider your options and your skillset - the more work you have to farm out the more expensive it gets. Even the bore job will likely run 100 bucks or so, and you'll need pistons/rings/pins/clips that'll run 50-100 bucks too. And that's before figuring gaskets, valve job (which you should do if you take the head off), and any other parts you find you need or break while taking things apart.

It's more than likely that if you are unable to easily unstick the motor and get it running that you'll be <way> money ahead to find a motor that turns over and has compression to slot in place of your stuck one. You should be able to get one like that running fairly easily with help from people here. If you do that then you'll be energized by the success and will have a really cool little bike to ride, as well as a project engine to do some learnin' on when you have time and energy.

http://jaredyates.com/pages/sl175/sl175.shtml has a whole lot of pictures and good descriptions of what you'll go through taking one of these motors apart. It's almost the exact same motor you have, without the electric starter.

If you're like the rest of us you'll end up with a half dozen bikes/motors/frames/etc in various states of disassembly that wander your direction magically when folks find out you're into 160s/175s.

And we'll be continually bugging you to build a racer and come out and join the fun racing them.

Welcome and good luck -

Michael

1 - 20 of 35 Posts