Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

in the middle of my first build and wanted to share a few pics. Started out as a 1981 Honda CB900C in October and did a few improvements since. Hope to get some feedback and input on how to improve. Most of the work done are all first for me and I am learning as I go - thank god for youtube. So far I build a new seat (fiberglass), new handlebars and mirrors, moved the electric stuff under the new seat, changed the air filter for cones, new handle bars and a new paint job. Still want to paint the wheels and need to polish the engine block. May have to redo the set upholstery - its OK for my first try but the fit is not so good and it starting to bug me. Worked over Thanksgiving on the clutch - it was so stiff that the bike was not rideable, but got it now to an acceptable level by shortening the springs.
IMG_20130927_150135_877.jpg
The original look

IMG_20131028_183527_668.jpg
Building the seat

IMG_20131102_163236_411.jpg
Still the original handle bars and electric not yet moved

IMG_20131123_162038_052.jpg
Current state

IMG_20131123_162143_844.jpg

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
this is the bike of the month.

Hi,

in the middle of my first build and wanted to share a few pics. Started out as a 1981 Honda CB900C in October and did a few improvements since. Hope to get some feedback and input on how to improve. Most of the work done are all first for me and I am learning as I go - thank god for youtube. So far I build a new seat (fiberglass), new handlebars and mirrors, moved the electric stuff under the new seat, changed the air filter for cones, new handle bars and a new paint job. Still want to paint the wheels and need to polish the engine block. May have to redo the set upholstery - its OK for my first try but the fit is not so good and it starting to bug me. Worked over Thanksgiving on the clutch - it was so stiff that the bike was not rideable, but got it now to an acceptable level by shortening the springs.
View attachment 4492
The original look

View attachment 4493
Building the seat

View attachment 4494
Still the original handle bars and electric not yet moved

View attachment 4495
Current state

View attachment 4496

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
You picked a bike that is not the easiest thing to modify and make look good but you have to learn somehow. Keep at it and learn more for your next build. I would say you didn't start with much of a budget for the build - I'd sell this one and use the money for your next project. good luck..

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Pod (cones) filters will make it run worse (whether you feel it or not). The red doesn't flow with the rest of the paint scheme and the padding is too thick.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. Project started out to be a cheap first starter bike for my wife. In the meantime I realize that it is way to much bike for her but I like it for the learning experience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picked the cones because I like the looks not for any performance improvement s. Yes there is a small difference between the original air box/filter setup but its not really an issue. A short hesitation around 3000rpm. I could not agree more on the seat padding the proportions are definitely off and I will rework the seat. But I do like the red
Pod (cones) filters will make it run worse (whether you feel it or not). The red doesn't flow with the rest of the paint scheme and the padding is too thick.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Picked the cones because I like the looks not for any performance improvement s. Yes there is a small difference between the original air box/filter setup but its not really an issue. A short hesitation around 3000rpm. I could not agree more on the seat padding the proportions are definitely off and I will rework the seat. But I do like the red
you only say this because you don't have access to a dyno so you can see how much horsepower those filters are stealing from you. They don't filter anything either. There are quality parts and there are junk parts desgined to just rob people of money - those pod filters, yeah they screwed you out of money and HP.

someone put a really nice front end on that bike. It is about the only positive thing I can say.

You stuck a seat and a set of bars on a 500+lbs shaft drive crusier motorcycle. That does not make it worthy of anything with the name racer in the title.

Not every motorcycle can be a "racer". the shortcomings you have to get over are:
- extremely heavy shaft drive system
- 16" rear wheel
- chopper style frame geometry
- crusier suspension pieces in the rear

unfortunatly it will require acess to a full machine shop to overcome these shortcomings. You are better off selling the bike and buying something else. It would cost too much and your gains would be too little.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
What you don't realize about pod filters....cheap or expensive....on the dohc Hondas you are dealing with issues that can not be overcome. You have lost way more performance than you think and they are actually a fire risk. Go to Honda 1979 to 1983 DOHC CB750/900/1000 Custom and you will see what I mean. Those guys know almost everything about dohc Hondas. They may be the worst possible bike to put pods on.

I have a 900c and trust me it is not worth your time to customize it anymore. Sell it and buy an F. Or ride it as a cruiser.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I grant you that I should have called it cafe'ish. Your points are all valid and understood - I would have bought a 900F (or any other 80th standard) if I would have found one in my area for my set budget. But sometimes you settle for what's there. Anyway I understand the issues with the pods - airflow, pressure, filter quality....and don't want to challenge you on this argument (because you are right from the physics), this was purely an esthetic choice. I actually bought a new air filter and the pods. Bike ran great with the standard filter, but I wanted to see how it would do with the pods - and initially I barley got it started :). This is a form over function decision for me. By the way I appreciate this feedback better then your first one since it actually is one :). Please keep in mind this is my first build and not my first bike. All things I did to this bike (and I did not care to much because it is a custom) are first for me. I never build a fiberglass seat nor upholstered and I did this one from scratch. Do I want to eventually cut into a frame and take 50 lbs out of a bike - sure, but maybe that will be my 10th build. Please keep the critical feedback coming but maybe cut a first time "builder" some slack. You totally destroyed me here :p . PS the reason I ended up buying the bike was that the 4 pipes reminded my of my first bike - a Suzuki GT380
you only say this because you don't have access to a dyno so you can see how much horsepower those filters are stealing from you. They don't filter anything either. There are quality parts and there are junk parts desgined to just rob people of money - those pod filters, yeah they screwed you out of money and HP.

someone put a really nice front end on that bike. It is about the only positive thing I can say.

You stuck a seat and a set of bars on a 500+lbs shaft drive crusier motorcycle. That does not make it worthy of anything with the name racer in the title.

Not every motorcycle can be a "racer". the shortcomings you have to get over are:
- extremely heavy shaft drive system
- 16" rear wheel
- chopper style frame geometry
- crusier suspension pieces in the rear

unfortunatly it will require acess to a full machine shop to overcome these shortcomings. You are better off selling the bike and buying something else. It would cost too much and your gains would be too little.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Form over function is the opposite of what this site is for. You are looking for DTT. This site is about performance over looks. You will never get props for form over function here...just warning you to save some hurt feelings. This site is what it is and most of us like it. Stick around and you will learn how to make a bike function better than stock...or don't. Just don't want you thinking this site is something it's not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What do you base you're advise on - that it is not worth my time? This is a learning experience for me. I have a daily rider - my BMW R1200R. I don't even like the custom/cruiser style - these are rocking chairs with wheels. Anything I do to this bike is an improvement. It looked pretty boring and now it is controversial. It was comfortable like an old shoe and now it is hard to ride with the clubman bars - but it's different. I like cretique on what I build, but you are in no position to judge my motivation. Riding is pure fun for me - I rode all weekend (with my pods) and it was in the low 30th to mid 40th here in Indiana. I rode a 4000 mile roundtrip this summer - in 6 driving days. I am now looking for something to do when we have snow and ice on the ground.
What you don't realize about pod filters....cheap or expensive....on the dohc Hondas you are dealing with issues that can not be overcome. You have lost way more performance than you think and they are actually a fire risk. Go to Honda 1979 to 1983 DOHC CB750/900/1000 Custom and you will see what I mean. Those guys know almost everything about dohc Hondas. They may be the worst possible bike to put pods on.

I have a 900c and trust me it is not worth your time to customize it anymore. Sell it and buy an F. Or ride it as a cruiser.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you take me here a little out of context - I did not say I always choose form over function. The bike is running well and I probably lost a few HP on the pods but really - but I had it up to 90 mph and still room to go and the acelaration isn't to bad either. Don't get me wrong I like performance, I grew up in a country where cruising speed for a bike is north of 100 mph and I wish I could do it here ( legally).
Form over function is the opposite of what this site is for. You are looking for DTT. This site is about performance over looks. You will never get props for form over function here...just warning you to save some hurt feelings. This site is what it is and most of us like it. Stick around and you will learn how to make a bike function better than stock...or don't. Just don't want you thinking this site is something it's not.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I think you misunderstood me a bit. I was actually trying to be helpful. It's your bike....do what you want. I was just giving you a friendly warning that anytime someone puts form over function it is like chumming the waters on this site. Won't receive a warm reception. That's all. Other than looks there is zero benefit to running pods on a dohc Honda, and that just goes against what most of us on this site strive for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. And I like the chumming reference - it definitely felt like being pounced by a couple of hungry sharks. Anyway the build must go on even if against conventional wisdom. Will try to post a video with my functioning bike. Maybe even taking a trip to Ohio ;) . As I said in the intro; I am in the middle of my build.
I think you misunderstood me a bit. I was actually trying to be helpful. It's your bike....do what you want. I was just giving you a friendly warning that anytime someone puts form over function it is like chumming the waters on this site. Won't receive a warm reception. That's all. Other than looks there is zero benefit to running pods on a dohc Honda, and that just goes against what most of us on this site strive for.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
the simple solutions to pods on a dohc are 1) refit stock airbox or 2) fit flatslides between the head and the pods/stacks/gravel gaurds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had an even simpler solution and it cost me only a few bucks in the hardware store. But in escence it counteracts the abundance of airflow and creates enough of a negative pressure for the carbs to work. Its still running a little lean with the stock jets. But enough with this topic, it is to abrasive. Did not intended to start a shit storm, but it looks like every bike with them gets it. But thanks for overing a constructive solution.
the simple solutions to pods on a dohc are 1) refit stock airbox or 2) fit flatslides between the head and the pods/stacks/gravel gaurds.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts