Cafe Racer Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey sorry your guys are not a fan of the bike I came across it for a trade and so basically nothing. I did my best to strip it down but despite most of you thinking it's dangerous to ride It actually feels very nice on the road. I've been riding for 13 years with over a dozen bikes most of them much faster then this one. So no cutting or geometry has been done, the only change is the seat being much thinner. Having much experience with faster bikes this one doesn't quite have it to knock me off. The front was actually lowered to try and offset the smaller seat. Problem with lowering the tank and fixing the angle is the coils located under the tank are very cramped and it's not possible to lower it anymore. For what it's worth I can corner the bike very quickly and it feels very nice the dimensions are much closer to stock then you would think.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hey I appreciate the concern the geometry is basically stock the only QUOTdiffe
Hi tell us something about yourself and the bike.
What are you trying to do?
Is it on the road yet? Do you like the looks? what advice you like?
I will tell you what I think but it's just my thoughts others here have more experience.
The angle of the seat and tank make it a bit more bobber than cafe racer to me, but that's personal taste.
The rear looks dumped and the front looks raised. Changing geometry will have a large effect on handling and may affect safety So my Suggestions are not educated because I don't know what has already been done.
It looks like it maybe better to raise 30mm in the rear and lowered 30mm in the front making it closer to stock maybe.
It will also move appearance more towards cafe racer. Main thing is handling and safety.
I have probably already said too much without background info.
What is the zip tie on the fork indicating?
Hope you get feed back that helps there is a lot of knowledge and
Is it on the road yet? Do you like the looks? what advice would you like?
I will tell you what I think but it's just my thoughts others here have more experience.
The angle of the seat and tank make it a bit more bobber than cafe racer to me, but that's personal taste.
The rear looks dumped and the front looks raised. Changing geometry will have a large effect on handling and may affect safety So my Sug
The rear looks dumped and the front looks raised. Changing geometry will have a large effect on handling and may affect safety So my Suggestions are not educated because I don't know what has already been done.
It looks like it maybe better to raise 30mm in the rear and lowered 30mm in the front making it closer to stock maybe.
It will also move appearance more towards cafe racer. Main thing is handling and safety.
Hope you get feed back that helps there is a lot of knowledge and experien
Hope you get feed back that helps there is a lot of knowledge and experience here.
The rear has not been lowered and the front actually has! The angle on these frames was pretty drastic stock and alot of people try to create clever ways to fix that. I'm really just getting feed back I think the bike looks ok it's vary hard working with a bike that doesn't have perfect bones to what everybody thinks it should look. All I did was rewire everything remove alot rebuild the motor from ground up up and just take off as much as I could the stock tank was a teardrop type and dented not much to work with so it had to be replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The bike rides very well and is not much off stock geometry the seat is much thinner giving it a drastic appearance and the front was actually lowered to try and accommodate that. Your criticism has little to no advice so I guess thanks for nothing. The bike rides very nice and that's coming from 13 years of riding almost everyday.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey I appreciate the concern the geometry is basically stock the only QUOTdiffe

The rear has not been lowered and the front actually has! The angle on these frames was pretty drastic stock and alot of people try to create clever ways to fix that. I'm really just getting feed back I think the bike looks ok it's vary hard working with a bike that doesn't have perfect bones to what everybody thinks it should look. All I did was rewire everything remove alot rebuild the motor from ground up up and just take off as much as I could the stock tank was a teardrop type and dented not much to work with so it had to be replaced.
Well I suspect it will ride well then. I to have built a bike that wouldn't normally be used as a cafe racer. Knocking weight out is a good start on a cafe racer. The main thing is you like it and its safe. Check out the net for ideas but in the mean time enjoy riding and learning

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Hey sorry your guys are not a fan of the bike
Absolutely nothing to be sorry about.

It's part of the hazing process here. It use to be way more harsh...the hazing....then the new person would typically tell us to "go fuck ourselves" and never to be seen from again but you didn't.

I have to be honest and compliment you on your attention to your build. I can see that you really put some effort into it. It's very clean...it has a unique style to it. I can see attention your to detail...and can appreciate that. But here we like our bikes to be better....better handling...faster...better braking..etc.. and not chase a certain look but subscribe to the idea that when you make improvements to the bike the look will follow. Most here are skilled craftsmen.......racers....and just true enthusiasts. Some have stuffed Maserati car motors in custom bike frames and made it work.. some have absolutely stunning vintage racers that are the real deal. There's even a clever Bosozoku CM400..for fun. Most of the modifications you did to your Honda was for a certain look....and usually when that is done function and safety suffers. And since you've ridden many bikes you of all can attest to the fact that for running to the local bike night spots your bike probably is just fine but for that high speed back roads run...your bike is not confidence inspiring at all.

Stick around and tap into the wealth of knowledge this place has. You can learn from us and I'm sure we can learn from you as well. I learn something new every day and today I learned that lifted gastanks are not just a Dyna
or a Sportster thing..... You did it to your bike and I have to admit it's kind of clever

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well
OP: "opinions please!"

So can we really offer our honest opinions? Or do we need to pretend that this thing has merit? Saying it has potential is fine, but after seeing what has been done, I'd say the bike has potential but only in the hands of another "builder".
Well I rebuilt the bike and motor from the ground up the natural angle of these bikes makes It difficult to try and make it straight to I don't know please your eye I suppose. despite the bike does ride nice and even if you don't like it yes I still "built" it. Maybe if you had any advice at all you would probably be

It's part of the hazing process here. It use to be way more harsh...the hazing....then the new person would typically tell

It's part of the hazing process here. It use to be way more harsh...the hazing....then the new person would typically tell us to "go fuck ourselves" and never to be seen from again but you didn't.

I have to be honest and compliment you on your attention to your build. I can see that you really put some effort into it. It's very clean...it has a unique style to it. I can see attention your to detail...and can appreciate that. But here we like our bikes to be better....better handling...faster...better braking..etc.. and not chase a certain look but subscribe to the idea that when you make improvements to the bike the look will follow. Most here are skilled craftsmen.......racers....and just true enthusiasts. Some have stuffed Maserati car motors in custom bike frames and made it work.. some have absolutely stunning vintage racers that are the real deal. There's even a clever Bosozoku CM400..for fun. Most of the modifications you did to your Honda was for a certain look....and usually when that is done function and safety suffers. And since you've ridden many bikes you of all can attest to the fact that for running to the local bike night spots your bike probably is just fine but for that high speed back roads run...your bike is not confidence inspiring at all.

Stick around and tap into the wealth of knowledge this place has. You can learn from us and I'm sure we can learn from you as well. I learn something new every day and today I learned that lifted gastanks are not just a Dyna
or a Sportster thing..... You did it to your bike and I have to admit it's kind of clever

The rear shocks are stock height as well is the front forks. I have a r6 that I take out if I want to properly go fast I don't try and pretend these old bikes can hold a candle to modern ones. So it really was a project for fun. I wouldn't mind lowering the front but that appears it would need new forks as you can only drop them so much if there are any options out there that would fit in very interested. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Had more potential stock... less potential now.

What it has now is an empty triangle.... and a pool slide for a seat when you accelerate
Pool slide I don't know maybe your fat or something and cant hold yourself on a bike but I have a jockey build and am not really familiar with depending on the seat to position myself.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
i prefer to post race bikes of the bikes the op’s post in their builds. not that i think the op will copy the one i posted, the hope is they will look at the pics to get ideas on some real performance mods. rather then me tell them what i think is wrong with their bike which id rather not do because 1- its their bike and 2- i dont care all that much cause i dont have to ride it.

·
Administrator
213 Posts
i prefer to post race bikes of the bikes the op’s post in their builds. not that i think the op will copy the one i posted, the hope is they will look at the pics to get ideas on some real performance mods. rather then me tell them what i think is wrong with their bike which id rather not do because 1- its their bike and 2- i dont care all that much cause i dont have to ride it.
Well said. It really is that simple...and that's a great looking bike....yours?

·
Registered
870 Posts
the front of it is so high that the clip ons would be at normal bar height relative to the seat, so i guess that's one positive.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
bike belongs to kevin rammer; who does ahrma middle weight superbike. the bikes size has been increased from 628 (?) to around 680. and he and the bike are fast (see #1 plate)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So what find a new front end that will level the bike out and get larger shocks in back what else? what sort of nonsense is all the shit talking for give some direction. Keep in mind I did not chop this bike to lower the rear end. I don't mind the hazing but it doesn't lead me to fixing the bike.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
may i make one suggestion to jshg, rearsets, dont know if fast from the past sells a kit for the 650 but i do see kits for the 550/750 8 valve. maybe check raask too, im sure between one of there kits and some hardware if needed from mcmaster an carr(?) , you could make something work, maybe go to a 650 forum and find a 650 with rearsets and ask. i dont see how the bike is rideable with the seat/clip ons/ stock peg position unless you are a pre teen gymnist. and its not a good look also. pimp on player

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You didn't address the OP's bike issues in that post.
Some guy joins. His first post is "give me your opinions" on the bike he just screwed up. You think we should politely point out the long list of errors he has made (more likely stupid decisions) and spend our time convincing them that what they have done is not good.
In reality the bike hackers are not interested in what we believe is the purpose in modifying a bike. They have seen a bunch of poorly designed crap on the internet "so it must be right".
If he had said "give me opinions on how to fix this" there would have been positive responses (he recognizes he has a problem). Instead he responds to a comment on his ridiculous seat with "you must be fat if you can't hold yourself on a bike". Having to "hold yourself on a bike" is the first sign of a design problem.
So go ahead, tell him how to fix it.
View attachment 105160 View attachment 105161 i prefer to post race bikes of the bikes the op’s post in their builds. not that i think the op will copy the one i posted, the hope is they will look at the pics to get ideas on some real performance mods. rather then me tell them what i think is wrong with their bike which id rather not do because 1- its their bike and 2- i dont care all that much cause i dont have to ride it.
I appreciate the reference picture but that is not my stock bike. That is the nighthawk not the cb650c I get what your trying to show there though thanks

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
n
I appreciate the reference picture but that is not my stock bike. That is the nighthawk not the cb650c I get what your trying to show there though thanks
i had a 650c not so long ago, i swaped the bars for some superbike bars, put on a 4-1 and also remember putting on a oil cooler. it was a nice bike. wish i still had it. also may i suggest you have one of the ads nuke the tread , and start over without all the drama

·
Administrator
280 Posts
Scary:eek: We don’t want to run people off so they stick around long enough to ban them haha!
People getting banned is on them. They know the rules and break them. Moderators have very little to do with the process.

EDIT: Let's keep this thread on topic. If you need to discuss the site or it's direction take it somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Justsomehondaguy....a couple of things.

If you like the look in style of your bike let's address a couple of things. I know you're riding on stock geometry but JCW is right… and unless you got the upper body of Yao Ming and the lower body of Miles Finch the ergonomics of that riding position look horrible.. and unsafe. Maybe I'm wrong and the picture is different.

I'm going to assume that that 30 + year old suspension is tired and worn. Remember the front Fender also acts as a fork brace to the front end. Without any kind of brace and with the tired suspension..... not a good combo. Look into rebuilding the front end and installing some kind of brace.

Make sure the rear tire doesn't bottom out on that tail loop. You can figure that out by taking one shock off and taking the Spring off the other shock and seeing if the tire bottoms out on the shock 1st or hits the tail loop 1st. That could be dangerous. New shocks may not be a bad investment and sometimes not horribly priced.

Check the 4 digit date stamp on the tires. Make sure the tires aren't old and cupping and that they're safe for riding.

I can't really do anything without a rear fender……. all a fenderless triangle look does it's throw crap all over the carburetors. I know it doesn't fit with that see through look but perhaps make some kind of carbon fiber trick looking inner fender that can be easily strapped to the frame?...and still look cool?

A couple of things I would do is if you're rebuilding the front fork sliders I would polish the shit out of those and the clutch cover. I actually like the exhaust you got with the little cone muffler. Just something I'm thinking about out loud.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
wasn't there some big flaw in the motor of the CB650 that you had to look out for? I remember Geeto mentioning it a few years ago.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts