Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
i am new here but would like to share my Honda VF project with you.

Project goals
- Modify Tank
- Make custom Cafe beckend
- Modify Seat / og create one
- Convert farring to naket bike , with new headlight
- Instrument cluster remake.
- Paint

Future
- CBR600 F2 wheel conversion

First up removal of the orginal tail , and create new fiber glass end
12.JPG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no no i am striping the bike of all waight
converting it to a nacket bike...

stripping the waight and changing the look makes it a Cafe Racer(Cafe Fighter if you will, maby the bike is to new to be a CafeRacer)

So far i am down 20kg
by removing the battery(changing to a Lipo)
removing fuel pump converting to gravety fed
all plastic has to go !
including all the metal holding the ferring and headlamp, mounting the new headlamp to the Front forck insted.

But thanks for setting me stright ;)

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
The unending ignorance is astounding.

This will never be a cafe racer just a bastardized sport bike it is the wrong era of motorcycle.

That 750 is just hot! The 500 was the bike that made me become obsessed with motorcycles as a young teen.

·
Registered
23,288 Posts
You aren't stripping the bike of all weight, you are just removing a few plastic panels.

It's clear you don't know what a cafe racer is, because you think its a naked bike with a rounded bump stop seat. It isn't. What it really is is a street legal road racer, a race bike you could ride on the street..in your case that would mean a refugee from the superbike era of racing. If you follow your plan you won't have anything more than a restyled stock interceptor, which if you think about it you are just following the chopper ethos. So you'll just have a differently shaped chopper.

Personally i don't care, if you want to make an iconic interceptor uglier by trying to make it look like a 50's British bike that's your business, I don't have to ride the thing you do. However, this is way cooler than anything you have going on:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am so sorry if i oddended some one by trying to make my own touch on a Cool bike... (dont get me wrong but the VF500 i started with had a long way to get back to beeing a Cool VF500f)
so i desided to try an go a different way... inspiret by the Classic Cafe racer (stipping as much waight as possibal, making a singel seet) compleatly naket

i am aware that this is not a Cafe Racer in the traditionel sens (the age is wrong)

if you dont like sorry....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no mention of performance upgrades ?(other than a wheel upgade in the future) so where changing just the look? i got $20 that says it wont look any better than a stock 500 .
Most ppl sayed that performence upgrading a VF500f would be a bad idea , it comes with ok power....
so for me, stripping some waight and making com custom Cafe inspired mods to it will do the trick(i didt nok like the 80´s look og the stock VF500f)
and comming from a VFR750 to the VF500f i dont seem to miss the little more power the VFR had as it seems the Power / waight are close.... and the VF is much more "fun" to drive... much more easy to tilt and eat coners with, the VFR felt more heavy

and remember looks are an question of taste... if i am guilty of having none in the end of my project so be it ;) as loong as i had fun duing it... :)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Looks at the sake of performance is NOT a matter of taste. Outside of that do what you want but performance doesnt always mean motor...you could upgrade the rear shock, rebuild the fronts, better braking system, better electrical system, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Joep7
Looks at the sake of performance is NOT a matter of taste.
I dont se what you meen ?

Outside of that do what you want but performance doesnt always mean motor
you could upgrade the rear shock, rebuild the fronts, better braking system, better electrical system, etc.
Shure... i have plans to change/upgrade the brackes, The handle bars will be lowered but i will keep the orginal "ClipOn´s"
i have found a tank that is a bit lowe profile, but i will need to make a new ait box and intake, think i wil try to se if i can make it so it draws the air in further away , maby from under the seat.

The side covers will be removed, and everything behind will be taken off, The oweflow tank til be replased with a alu side mounted on the side of the radiator, the battery will be replased with a Lipo bettery, and fuel pump will be pulled of as i plan to run it with a gravity feed insted.

leeving the space behind the back tyre exposed so the rear end suspention is exposed(maby i will swap that for a CBR600 unit, but it takes som cenverting to fit)

·
Registered
23,288 Posts
Hey Joep7

I dont se what you meen ?
Unless you are building a chopper, modifications to your bike should serve a functional purpose. If you were racing in an endurance race production class that banned engine modifications, think about the changes you would make to the bike for it to be competetive. Brakes? yes. Suspension? Yes. Riding position? yes but for comfort as well as sport. bodywork? maybe. would you focus on trying to make it look old? no you wouldn't.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
"First up removal of the orginal tail , and create new fiber glass end".

Why does this seem to be the first thing done on many cafe mods ?
a. Because it looks easy to do ?
b. Because I don't have mechanical skills or tools?
c. Because I'm going to create my own look ?
d. Yup, all of the above.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts