Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have started my first MC projekt with this honda and i am fairly green at this with bikes.

So im in need of a bit of help with some questions and was hoping some of you could help me.

What i have started with is to tare down all of the tanks and electronics to get some feel of how it will look:

Now my problem is where to but all the tanks that was there, could i replace the coolant tank with this : Oil Catch Tank Aluminum Coolant Reservoir Catch Fuel Can Tank for Motorcycle | eBay
or am i totaly wrong here?

What do i need this for ? xD totaly lost my way when dismantling the bike and my knowledge isnt great. I am learning all the time and i have the manual but i cant find anything useful from it.

Do i need the coolant water tank? dont really know where too but it on the bike now, any ideas?

I have rooom for all the electronics under my seat when i am done with it.

My last question now is, can i but the fuelpump on its side or is that a no go ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree, that's a classic that deserves to be put back original, and just clean it up as much as possible. You will not improve it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Have you got any pics of it fully dressed? I'd like to see what condition the bodywork is in before saying whether you should keep it original or not.

As for your questions - coolant bottles can be made out of many things (I used an alloy drink bottle for my fighter). Main thing is you need to make sure the hose from the radiator goes to the bottom of the bottle or else it wont draw fluid back into the radiator when the engine cools. The one you linked doesn't do that. I clamped mine to the side of the radiator, but you could also put yours on the side of the frame. This isnt mine but you get the idea:

Any yes you can lay the fuel pump in any direction and it wont hurt it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not after to improve the preformance at all i just want to make it "my bike". Dont really care for the original look.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
well its too late already you are not interested in being a rider ,see you have already started destroying the bike
why did you not get it running and ride it for a season? answer that one question moron

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I am not after to improve the preformance at all i just want to make it "my bike". Dont really care for the original look.
It became your bike when you bought it. It sounds like you are preparing to turn it into another junk art project, a bike like everyone else is "building". You want to do something different? Make it a better bike.

·
Registered
23,288 Posts
I think he is outside the US Tom. That is a foreign market interceptor with boomerang comstar wheels. If he is an American with that interceptor in the US then the dude doesn't know what he has and is just going to absolutely butcher a really nice bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okey seems like this rude atmosphere isnt for me.
Clearly this forum is for people that think they know everything.
Thanks hillsy for being helpfull, but i am out of here.

peace.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
This is clearly a forum for some people who do know everything.

Bye

okey seems like this rude atmosphere isnt for me.
Clearly this forum is for people that think they know everything.
Thanks hillsy for being helpfull, but i am out of here.

peace.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just read this thread while looking for something else. Am I missing something here, this is a cafe racer forum no? so we get a bike and make it something else. His original pic is not available so maybe I miss the point but people quickly turned into nobs without him being provocative....you all suprise me lets see what else I find.

·
Registered
750 Posts
he had a vf750, so sort of along the lines of early perimeter-ishy style frame, and i'm guessing he had a photo of a cb750 or some other typical spine frame 70's bike that he was hoping to clone. not going to work, which he was told. there's no bullshit here.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
just read this thread while looking for something else. Am I missing something here, this is a cafe racer forum no? so we get a bike and make it something else. His original pic is not available so maybe I miss the point but people quickly turned into nobs without him being provocative....you all suprise me lets see what else I find.
Depends upon your definition of 'cafe racer'
If that is something that is actually a bobber/chopper butchered 40 year old bike in drag rolling on bullshit suspension, decked out with LED everything, powder coat paint and straight headers, then you better have thick skin to survive this place. The guys that frequent this forum actually race their race bikes. That's what you should be noticing when you are looking through old threads, it's about making them go better not look pretty, most here don't give a flying #$%^ what the thing looks like if it can out perform every other motorcycle in its class we like it. We are old and experienced at bull shit things like carburetors and we can make the shit work that young people look at in total dismay, because they are so stuck on it needing pod filters where there should be an air box. or no fenders and chain guards which is perfect if you are building an indoor motorcycle for hipsters to just look at.

Looks like good snow conditions for riding here again today! :)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Looks like good snow conditions for riding here again today! :)
Yea, how'd you like to trade your trials bike for a good sled and some cash? I imagine the temperature rising and the changing conditions through the day makes it more challenging.

Can't really complain, the warm weather has allowed me to move the projects along that have to be done in the shop area I can't heat.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Yea, how'd you like to trade your trials bike for a good sled and some cash? I imagine the temperature rising and the changing conditions through the day makes it more challenging.

Can't really complain, the warm weather has allowed me to move the projects along that have to be done in the shop area I can't heat.
lol Come riding some time! I took the money I was going to put into a new snowmobile this year and bought a third Montesa :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts