Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, I love the guy. But starting with no riding experience and buying an exotic sportbike 100 miles away that you have to ride home?

Hope he got home safe, he was supposed to go and get it by now. Haven't heard from him yet.

It's a 2006 MV Agusta Brutale 910

The eBay listing of his bike: http://tinyurl.com/5r35793

Stock photo:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
hopefully he doesnt do what this guy does at 1:41.... also aparently his first bike...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Nice bike, but why didn’t you go and pick it up for him? Did he even ask you? It only makes sense, unless you’re not tight like that.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I would be more worried about him pushing it alongside a busy highway after it broke down than I would him binning it on his first ride.

Presumably, if he grew up in your family he has been around a fast-ish car or bike at some point in his life and is not "intimidated" by them. If that is the case it is more the inexpirence of what to do when a dozy cage operator "doesn't see him" than physically operating the bike. Hopefully he is fearful of the bike's power enough to not screw around 100 miles from home on his only transport.

All the guys I know with brutales are dumping them for one issue or another. A lot of complaints about the computer specifically the engine stalling at idle, and also about the countershaft bearing/seal. Heard of a couple of trannies grenading as well.

For a new rider the stalling issue would be the most problematic. It affects 100% of the bikes since it is a defect with the actual fuel map.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Ah Ha! I see why it went so cheap, it's missing the passenger pegs

...when/if he makes it find out what the deal is with integrated rear turn signals, I doubt they would pass certification here but it sounds interesting.

Surely he has at least ridden a minibike or something, to hop on a 136 horsepower machine like that without even knowing which way the throttle turns, that's totally @#&%ed

Haven't heard of all the issues Geeto listed, but I read if you use a powerwasher on the rear hub it's a death sentence for the rear wheel bearings, advise him to keep a very close eye on the rear hub for freeplay or metal shavings and do Not over tighten the chain and the chain adjuster pinch bolts.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I watched my brother crash his new SECA II on a highway off-ramp, in a similar fashion... just didn't lean it into the turn enough, wandered onto the gravel shoulder & down he went. Luckily, damage was minimal, and he was unhurt. Fortunately, my brother was too poor to buy an obscenely overpowered bike for his first ride, and after riding the Seca for a couple yrs, bought a really nice GB500. Good luck to your brother.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Did he make it home okay? I assume so as there hasn't been an update about a crash. Curious to hear his thoughts on that bike, as his first bike, and first long ride.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Did he make it home okay? I assume so as there hasn't been an update about a crash. Curious to hear his thoughts on that bike, as his first bike, and first long ride.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts