Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
When you wrap an exhaust header do you start wrapping at the head or the muffler?
hint ... if you look at the scales on a fish or snake, the layers over-lap so as to not collect under the scales.
Always start from the exhaust end and wrap towards the heads, it works better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are those trailwing tires? What do you think of them, are they any good for anywhere or marginal everywhere?
I have Midas on the front and Duro on the rear. I kept stock wheels so it was a headache trying to find a matching set. I originally ordered the kenda big block but the rear tire wouldn't fit my swing arm. To answer your question though the tires I have I really do like. I only ride bike in town or to work. It's pretty a straight road. So I haven't rode them on a trip, but for riding I do they work great.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
If they are anything like full knobby tires, the only thing to really watch out for is steel manhole covers, streetcar tracks, and cheese grater steel mesh bridge surfaces even worse when wet.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
I'm a fair weather rider. Luckily I've never got caught in the rain. I don't have rear fender and my front is cut down. So I'm sure I'd be soaked in lightest of rain showers. Lol
(y) definitely need some fender with studded tires, it's a little like falling on a chainsaw without them. Not riding in rain does not compute, that would be too much of the time & riding in rain can be fun and challenging.

... you should wear gloves, they help, almost impossible to ride as good without them, and if you never crashed, you are going to put your palms out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't imagine wanting to ride knobbies on pavement, I don't even like them on our gravel roads.

Have you ridden it with a decent pair of street tires? That would make the curved roads fun as well.
I have no problems with them. I have a wife and kids so it's rare I go anywhere by myself. It's only for short errand runs and work. I think it looks good with them. That's why I built it for the thumbs ups at red lights. If I had plans to go on trips I definitely would have considered the Firestone tires.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Firestones also known as clown shoes only belong on museum pieces that will never be ridden.

Full on knobbies however are the bees knees if you like getting a bike sideways in the dry and laying down in the wet and with clipons or low bars they make crashing an almost certainty. Downtown Melbourne years ago on a borrowed Ossa with knobbies i managed to slide through an intersection at a crazy angle and some weird physics kept everything upright.

There is a place for semi off-road tires but on a bike that's a pose mobile, it's all cosplay. But then so is header wrap which serves no useful purpose. Interestingly enough I haven't seen so much of that rust creator recently.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
And that is what we build them for - ourselves. If anyone else likes them it's a bonus but not necessary. I have built so many custom bikes over the years and some people claim I desecrated some sort of sacred idol or they tell me it's the wrong color or wrong shape or whatever and quite frankly my dear I don't give a damn.

If you like it great and if you can learn why others don't like it, that's all good in my book. We change. We evolve. We learn.

·
見る
557 Posts
Lol well damn I guess I built a piece of shit that only I love..🤣
Teaser is on the money, IMO. ^^^

You didn't build a piece of shit, you built just what you wanted.

The thing is, if you post up on here, everyone is going to comment - some positive, some negative.

Just go with it - it's social media after all.

Also, some of what may appear to be negative comments, actually can contain some solid/valid advice worth thinking about.

I think that's what Teaser is saying with, "if you can learn why others don't like it."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts