Cafe Racer Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
The key to riding on hardtop is soft rubber. Even a full knobby tire slides predictably if the rubber is soft enough and the surface is not wet steel. Just don't hit a manhole cover at full lean or you will end up on somebody's front lawn and then the lady will come out of the house and yell at you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I appreciate the constructive criticism. I guess I just didn't expect it, considering the positivity I get elsewhere. I've had it for a couple years and the tires still have the new tabs on them. It was never intended to be a daily driver. It sits in a garage on display till I decide to take it out. Or feel it needs to be ridden to keep carbs clean. It's a conversation piece that does that, starts conversations.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I appreciate the constructive criticism. I guess I just didn't expect it, considering the positivity I get elsewhere. I've had it for a couple years and the tires still have the new tabs on them. It was never intended to be a daily driver. It sits in a garage on display till I decide to take it out. Or feel it needs to be ridden to keep carbs clean. It's a conversation piece that does that, starts conversations.
your flying to close to the sun on wings of provolone

Reactions: Bzboardco

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Yeah. We tend to be a “function over form” type of crowd.

Maybe “crowd” isn’t as accurate anymore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yeah. We tend to be a “function over form” type of crowd.

Maybe “crowd” isn’t as accurate anymore.
I definitely get that. This comment makes all the others make more sense. I don't feel this forum is my place to be. I have no intentions of competing in the Café Racer Cup. It's just something I found enjoyment in. I've ran into the purest builders...I should have looked around first.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
There needs to be at least one forum dedicated to real Cafe Racers, and I think this one is it. Regulars here tend to ride the motorcycles more then just looking at them, that's the only reason I post here for more then a decade. If it was just a solid steam of the same old chopper bobber modifications that would make it one of those other sites.

Go to one of those chopper-bobber centric sites and ask a technical engine or suspension question and you won't get very far.

·
見る
557 Posts
I definitely get that. This comment makes all the others make more sense. I don't feel this forum is my place to be. I have no intentions of competing in the Café Racer Cup. It's just something I found enjoyment in. I've ran into the purest builders...I should have looked around first.
From my understanding this forum was formed many years ago by a couple of guys who built and raced cafe racers. The original guys pretty much knew each other personally. Over time it grew and more members came onboard, and it became a much larger public forum.

A few years ago it was sold to a company that owns over 1200 forums, so it lost a lot of members, and some of it's 'personality.' It had already been losing members because cafe racers fell out of fashion and members of forums just tend to move on.

A lot of diehard members have stuck around because they like the original intent of the forum and there were not a lot of blow-ins to bother them. They also have a general consensus that a good cafe racer is one that is primarily safe and practical for everyday riding, or even casual riding. The 'look' comes in second place.

Cafe racers have had a resurgence in the last few years, and with that a few other forums have started up. From what I have seen, they are pretty much like FB where people post pics of their CR for likes/thumbs ups and not a lot of serious mechanical discussion occurs. More like mutual admiration forums, and I guess that there is nothing wrong with that.

Here, you have some long term members who have decades of knowledge and hands on experience about bikes and the mechanical aspects of building motorcycles, which they will share if you have an open mind. They may not say things delicately or tactfully, but generally they will usually only comment on the practical aspects of your bike, and where aesthetics outweigh safety/practicality, they will always go for safety/practicality.

It's up to you if you take any, all, or none of it onboard.

I have been riding and working on all my motorcycles for the past 50 years, and I still learn things here.

So, in the final analysis, you have to think about why you came here in the first place, and if this forum is one that you'd like to stick around on.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
From my understanding this forum was formed many years ago by a couple of guys who built and raced cafe racers. The original guys pretty much knew each other personally. Over time it grew and more members came onboard, and it became a much larger public forum.

A few years ago it was sold to a company that owns over 1200 forums, so it lost a lot of members, and some of it's 'personality.' It had already been losing members because cafe racers fell out of fashion and members of forums just tend to move on.

A lot of diehard members have stuck around because they like the original intent of the forum and there were not a lot of blow-ins to bother them. They also have a general consensus that a good cafe racer is one that is primarily safe and practical for everyday riding, or even casual riding. The 'look' comes in second place.

Cafe racers have had a resurgence in the last few years, and with that a few other forums have started up. From what I have seen, they are pretty much like FB where people post pics of their CR for likes/thumbs ups and not a lot of serious mechanical discussion occurs. More like mutual admiration forums, and I guess that there is nothing wrong with that.

Here, you have some long term members who have decades of knowledge and hands on experience about bikes and the mechanical aspects of building motorcycles, which they will share if you have an open mind. They may not say things delicately or tactfully, but generally they will usually only comment on the practical aspects of your bike, and where aesthetics outweigh safety/practicality, they will always go for safety/practicality.

It's up to you if you take any, all, or none of it onboard.

I have been riding and working on all my motorcycles for the past 50 years, and I still learn things here.

So, in the final analysis, you have to think about why you came here in the first place, and if this forum is one that you'd like to stick around on.
Save this one and you can just paste when necessary.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts