Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked this up on sunday. 72 CB500 Dunstall. Unfortunately it doesn't have the original exhaust or footpegs and levers. But overall it's in good shape. It needs a little wiring and a master cylinder to be back on the road. Just thought I'd share.

JD

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
You and your bike is gay.

Can I work with you on this where its not 100% dunstall and make my own mods.

I have some changes for your seat and some other things I'd like to change.

Aaron

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Congrads dude, nice score.

those rearsets look like dunstall cb500 units to me (at least the backing plates do). Dunstalls would have used the original hand levers from honda. You can tell dunstall rearsets because they look really heavy and crude. I am not sure what the cb500/550 dunstall pipe would look like but the 750 one is much different.

Is that a dunstall kit bike or an assmebled by dunstall? I have a dunstall kitted 750 where the original owner cheaped out on the bodywork (it has every dunstall part but the tank and tail and fairing). Most of the dunstall bikes in america were kit bikes, but there are a few with their own dunstall vin number. I don't know of any documented dunstall factory built cb500s or if they even offered the cb500 as a built bike (the 750s they did).

Edited by - Geeto67 on Apr 12 2006 03:39:51 AM

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Cool! Glad to see someone here picked that up. Looks like a decent bike for the money.
I agree with Aaron though... that seat would go into storage, cause it's gay in a cowboy way.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't believe it's a true Dunstall built bike but it's got most of the pieces. Some info on the web states that in 73 they built a 500. The rearset mounting plates are dunstall but the pegs and foot levers/linkage are not (didn't mean the clutch/brake). My least favorite part of the kit is the seat.

JD

·
Registered
838 Posts
JD,
If you don't have one, Gustafsson makes the windscreen for that fairing. If you like he can even make one with a lower profile than the original. Leif made me a screen for a CB750 Dunstall project of mine that was about 2/3 as tall as the original. In my opinion the Dunstall screens were too tall and bulky looking and remind me of a Cafe Windjammer.
Is it just the photos, or is the front fender installed backwards?
Bret @ Glass from the Past

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:
JD,
If you don't have one, Gustafsson makes the windscreen for that fairing. If you like he can even make one with a lower profile than the original. Leif made me a screen for a CB750 Dunstall project of mine that was about 2/3 as tall as the original. In my opinion the Dunstall screens were too tall and bulky looking and remind me of a Cafe Windjammer.
Is it just the photos, or is the front fender installed backwards?
Bret @ Glass from the Past
Bret, thanks. The previous owner gave me a brand new one from Gustafsson that he had him cut down. You're right about the original.

The fender could be, I haven't looked closely at it. I just knew it was leaning forward for some reason.

JD

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:
is that one of the bikes that was for sale in Portland recently?
Yes. I saw the XS650 he has for sale too. It's in really good shape but the motor is stuck. He doesn't know why. Real nice guy. Probably give someone a good deal on it.

JD

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
If the vin is a honda vin , it doesn't rule it out as a dunstall built bike as I'd say about half of the dunstall built hondas kept their honda vins.

Dunstall offered a big bore kit on a lot of bikes including the 500 and 550. I think the max bore was 595ccs. If you ever get into tearing the engine down look for it since it was an expensive option and one that is highly coveted.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Don't know if these will help, or if you may be aware, but here's a Dunstall link

The Dunstall Owners' Register
Website:http://www.meertech.demon.co.uk/dunstall/index.html

If tomorrow really is the first day of the rest of my life....does that mean all the shit I do today can't be held against me?

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got it roadworthy and took it for a ride this weekend. It goes as well as expected with only 20k miles on her. Still needs new rubber but there were no surprises. I only wish I had a partner for my big gay seat.

Holy shit, are those big enough? I'll resize them later.

JD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts