Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trolling Craigslist can pay off. Saw a 1978 CB 125S pop up yesterday in Huntington, VT. No photos. Previous owner claimed that it would start and idle but not run well in higher gears.

Drove out after work and gladly handed over the money. It's not perfect but might make a great little cafe racer (for less than it costs to gas up my car a couple of times). Documented fuel economy on this beast is 90-100 mpg.

Pics are before any cleaning, etc. I got her home tonight and did the obvious... Drained the old gas, cleaned the air filter (mouse nest, no surprise there), changed the oil, threaded in a new plug...

And she turned over on the 4th or 5th kick! Just got back from a drive down the dirt road across from my house.... :shredder:

I've cleaned the carb, adjusted the timing, checked the valves, adjusted the cam chain and found that she still has a gremlin. She will idle and run nicely for a few minutes but dies as soon as she gets warm.

I know for a fact that the previous owner ran her without a battery so I'm wondering what he fried along the way. I'm going to start by replacing the recified this evening. Then... onto the coil?

The following three photos show a nicely restored 125. I think I'll use them as inspiration. Stay tuned for a build thread this coming winter?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some intial questions I have (for mikey or anyone else that knows?). Is it possible to relocate a smaller battery into the cafe seat? I'd love to get it out of there to open up the middle of the bike.

You mentioned your seat is from "Glass from the past"? It's perfect. May I ask which model it is so I know which one to order? It bolts right on?

Anyone know if it's possible to use a pod filter directly off of the carb? Or is it frowned upon to draw the hot engine air up and in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Bret from GFTP is a member and he should be able to tell you what seat that is.

Yes you can relocate your battery anywhere you want - you will need to make a hold down and new battery cables and perhaps switch to a smaller sized battery with the same amp output.

·
Registered
699 Posts
off topic question...what did you use to post those pics? most hosting sites are blocked on the internet at work, but i can see your pics! let me know what you used so i can start posting stuff from work!! thanks

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Tyler,

The cafe 125 pics are posted through photobucket (I checked the photo properties). I have good luck getting through the "smart filter" here at work with walagata.com and villagephotos.com. I think it depends on how they are blocking photo sites.......

Jim

·
Registered
216 Posts
So my grandfather has a bunch of SL125s under his house that have been sitting there forever. One is the bike I learned to ride on when I was 12 which I want to get running just to keep for nostalgic reasons, but there are a few others under there. Would an SL make a good little project cafe? I know they are the "dual sport" of the day, but just wondering. I'd like to bring one down as a project here in Klamath next year during the winter if it would be something do-able.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tyler, the first pics were hosted on a private website I own. The silver bike pics are hosted on photobucket (which you can use for free to host your pics!). Your work probably blocks specific sites but doesn't know about either of these.

·
Registered
699 Posts
yeah i use imageshack and its blocked and so is photobucket....since i have my own website, i suppose i could host through it...didnt even cross my mind! Thanks, ok guys...BACK TO TOPIC!! That bike would make an extremely cool little cafe bike i think. you got one in very good condition to top it off too!

·
Registered
699 Posts
wait...i just noticed that is a kentucky plate...where you from in KY? im in paducah!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, how are you able to see the photos of the silver CB125 then? They are hosted on photobucket!

I'm actually from Vermont. I guess the previous owner had family in Kentucky and one of them brought it up to him. So it lives here now!

Hey I think an RD400 tank would look great on my bike. Wanna trade tanks!?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Tyler one question about your project, what kind of paint are you using? It looks like you're doing the painting yourself? I want to do that.

·
Registered
699 Posts
no, i cant see the silver bike, just the red one. I dont have a spare RD tank that i want to part with either. as for the paint, i am using Dupli-Color spray bomb of various types. I used caliper paint on the calipers and high temp paint on the chambers, cylinders and heads. the rest is just dupli-color black enamel. If the surface i'm painting is metal, i am using their self etching primer (army green) as a base, and if it is plastic i am using their sealing primer (gray). The tanks, side panel and seat will all be standox colors and be painted professionally by a good friend of mine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts