Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought this unrunning heap on ebay.

after a couple of months it runs and looks like this...

added some Uni filters and i'm still waiting on the goddamn exhaust i got on ebay to show up. its been like 30 days. the current exhaust is rusted out pretty bad. got antique tags on it and new tires, rebuilt the master and caliper, took the carbs apart to clean. no money or knowhow for new jets although it runs pretty well, wot is a little lean. so i just ride with the choke on slightly.
the seat i made from the pan on that king/queen sissy bar thing.
what do you think?

'72 cb750
'76 cb550

Edited by - pampadori on Jul 11 2007 12:42:44 PM

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
nice work. what sort of tailight is that? i need some inspiration for my cl350.

tex

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a remake of the '38-'39 ford teardrop. it is not the LED version. i thought the LED one was to "new" looking and i wanted to keep things old and unsafely dim. the bucket was way to big so i had to removed it with a sawsall and drilled two holes deeper in the light for the bulb holder. this keeps the rear tire from contacting it even with a passenger.
What do you think of the seat? i wanted to have something that would hold the lady, but still wanted it really low and short. i wish i had rounded the end more, but other then that i'm really happy.

'72 cb750
'76 cb550

·
Registered
237 Posts
You know what that looks so cool the only thing I would change is maybe bob the rear fender a little. Looks great

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for the chrome:
i started off with a fine grit steel wool. then i used never-dull on it. wipped it off, and then finished with a wax applicator and some metal polish. buffed off with a terry cloth towel. worked very very well. on the alum i used a mothers power ball and the mothers power polish. it worked very well also.

as for the handle bars:
is that a joke? you want me to say clubmans don't you. well they are. $10. their home before this bike was a ducati i am told. chop off about 2" on each end so they look and feel better. they don't touch the 550 narrow tank at full lock either. i'm going to take the clubmans of my 750 and chop off a couple inches too.

i don't know what to do about the little bolt holes and the wire holes in the fender. i don't guess they stick out that much, but what is something i could do with them?

'72 cb750
'76 cb550

Edited by - pampadori on Jul 12 2007 11:25:56 PM

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Man, that looks nice. I think the seat is cool, and I wouldn't even worry about the holes in the fender - if they bother you too much you could put some screws in them or something. I prefer bobbed fenders myself, but I'm not sure I'd even bother.

Nice bike!

My own project:
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2827

·
Registered
44 Posts
quote:
i don't know what to do about the little bolt holes and the wire holes in the fender. i don't guess they stick out that much, but what is something i could do with them?
Edited by - pampadori on Jul 12 2007 11:25:56 PM
Get your self a badge or decal thaT WILL COVER them

·
Registered
278 Posts
Squeak, you're a fucking genius.

I kind of like the old mount holes myself - truth be told, if they weren't there I think I'd tell you it looked like something was missing. Is that odd?

A

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've bought chrome plugs at the auto store and used them to plug some hole in everything from my MGA to electric guitars. They come in a varienty of sizes from 1/4 to 2 inches and just snap in.

·
Registered
194 Posts
this thing looks tight mang! the only thing i would have done different would be to chop that rear fender and gotten the tail light horizontal, but it's not my bike..

texmawbe, how about some 65 impala tail lights? i've always wanted to put one on a bike:

there is one sitting on a lot that i pass everyday on my way to work. want me to inquire about it?

CB650, FauxCatiFT500

Edited by - jb on Jul 23 2007 12:50:05 PM

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nice job!

I really like how clean this bike looks and I think you did a great job on the seat.

I think I agree with the fender being bobbed.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
quote:
i think i love this bike... especially how easy it cleaned up...
mine is such a chrome pitt machine ... so i will have most of the bike painted.

http://www.driftalliance.com
i wouldn't call it easy. it had some serious oxidation and rust. when i first got it, i was upset that i wasted my $500 on this worthless piece. i must have polished chrome and aluminum for like 10 hours. i found it easiest if i would focus on one part a day. do one wheel in one day and the points cover the next and so on and so on. that made it really managable. look at that crap in the master cyl! yeah, but now i ride it everyday so, $500 well spent.

'72 cb750
'76 cb550

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks great man, i just picked up another 550 i have to bring back from the morgue.

Have any trouble fitting the stock master cylinder on the bars after you chopped the 2" off?

-Jack

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the banjo bolt for the hose barely touches the tachometer. so bolt it on and measure how far down the grips will go and then cut off whatever is left. it looks so much better imo.

'72 cb750
'76 cb550

1 - 20 of 22 Posts