Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I understand through forums are that the tappet adjusters "arrows" should both be pointed away from each other.

I have adjusted mine this way.

However, if I follow the manauls directions then I would have one side with the arrows pointing away from each other and the other side's with the arrows pointing towards each other. huh! Whats the deal with this?

It seems you can tighten the tappets going full left or full right, what's the differnce???

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I figured it out.

The written description is not the same as the picture/diagram in the same book I have!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I needed to tighten the valve/tappet clearance, I just made sure to always tighten pointing the arrows AWAY from each other.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
which book do you have??? neither my factory book, nor my haynes has that info. i almost always forget and have to call rick randall!

jc

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Joe,

Get a better manual. In my factory shop manual, page 34, figure 4-20, explains this.

Note: The eccentric indicator cutout "A" of the rocker arm pin must be rotated so that it it to the outside of the screwdriver slot "B" (opposite the contact points) as shown in Fig. 4-20. This setting is the same for both the right and left cylinders.

Then there's a nice drawing in figure 4-20 that shows what all of this means.

I just happened to have my manual sitting here on my desk, I didn't have that all memorized.

Craig

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe mine is the honda manual. It's a free one I found on line. It looks like it was photocopied. It just says "Shop Manual". I wish I had a better manual, probably go ahead and order one.

Yeah, If I follow one of the diagrams I'd have the arrows pointing towards each other!

The wrong diagram is on p. 147 in my manual. diagram 6-5.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts