Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
most everything i ride leaks oil
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've decided to build the ultimate cafe racer, and so i'm asking for advice in making the parts work. i don't have a lot of money, and i don't have a lot of experience, but i bought an angle grinder from harbor freight and it's really easy to use. i know how to use bondo too, because i had a volkswagen once with lots of dents so i think i'm all set to tackle whatever i'll come across here. first things first, i have a great machine to start with, this 1982 KZ750 twin. a friend of mine had one back when they were new and he told me that the magazines all said it handled better than a ducati 900, so that's good enough for me.

it's got some motor issues that make it leak oil all over the place, but that doesn't matter really, because i'll just park it in different places whenever i stop. it's a genuine classic machine that turned heads when it was new, and it'll be a real hot bike once i've finished with it.

first things first,i tried out the angle grinder on some water pipe and so i know how to use it now and i'll be able to shorten the seat rails. i have a great old thruxton seat to put on it, the ultimate seat for the ultimate cafe build, but it will take a bit of fiddling. i read the other day about how to attach a fibreglas seat using rubber insulators and hose clamps, so i'll see if i can find it again

this one has a tear in the seat vinyl, but when you sit on it it doesn't show. i'll need to dye it brown.

i don't know much about the engine except that it has two cylinders, but i have some cool open pipes i can use. don't know what size they are but i think they'll fit

no mufflers but it's a cafe build so i don't need them. i can get some exhaust wrap too to put on, brown to match the seat so everything is color coordinated. i'll have to pain t the tank but i don't know what color yet

i think this might be a bit long but i can shorten it i'm pretty sure. i bought two packs of JB Weld the other day and i think that might be enough

the rear wheel on the kawasaki is a 16 inch. i know that won't work on a cafe build because its too small, so i have an 18 inch that i got that already came with a tire, too, so i'm all set.

the last thing i'll need is front forks. i 've noticed that everybody who ever builds an ultimate cafe racer always changes the front forks, so i'll do that too. i really like the retro look as well, so i went looking and found just what i need

i'm not sure about the damping , but i think i read somewhere that it's not hard to swap the hydraulics out of a ZX14 to other bikes, so i it shoulldn't be hard to find a video on youtube that will help me out here.

i don't know what else i might have to change. i've been looking through instagram to see what else i might to change on this classic and i all i could find was that lots of really serious cafe builds use a quarter fairing, one of those that mounts on the handlebars. i don't have th emoney to buy a new one but i found one that might work for a while

wait, i forgot about clip ons and rear sets. clip ons are really expensive, so until i can get some money saved up i'll just turn the handlebars upside down, they're sort of buckhorn-shaped, but that just means they'll be really low and cool looking. i'll have to wait on the rear sets, though, it doesn't seem that eBay carries any for this particular model, but not to worry, the riding position will be okay for now..

so what do you think? am i on the right track?

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
ultimate cafe racer
:cool: the ultimate as in final? is this your last one?

You picked the worst bike imaginable to restore, do you know how many chains there are inside that engine?
and CV carbs

the springer front end is perfect.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Oooooo! You gotta figure out how to mount the front forks upside down! I heard that’s what the cool coffee racers do!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't know what the problem would be with CV carbs. i can buy pod filters on eBay that should solve stuff likethat. i can even get different colors to match the overall theme

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dunno about that? i like the colour but it doesn't have quite the visual impact i think i'm looking for. what about something more like this?

i don't like the tail lights at all, but i think the rest is doable if i can find some mounts on eBay

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts