Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you guys might like to see more of the XS I was bitching about in the other thread.

Left sidecover is off for me to polish it. I figure, if it doesn't run it might as well look good.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This one's for Geeto :)

I have four excuses for the clubmans:
1. They came with the bike
2. They're Tommaselli and very nice quality
3. I like the way they put my weight over the tank where it belongs. The XS has a really high and far back head tube combined with a short tank. So the best riding position for handling and comfort is on top of the tank.
4. I am working on designing rearsets.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the brakes. It's easy to stop a bike that only runs on one cylinder though.

Gauges are from some other Yamaha, maybe Seca? They're a little smaller but very similar to late XS650. I also mounted them under the triple clamp to lower the profile a little. It required some creative re-wiring to get everything to play together but I think they look good. Subtle but good.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another one of the gauges, tank and bars.

If it's not obvious, I've been spending a lot of time looking at Japanese SR500 magazines and the Bratstyle website. I love the cutdown Tokyo chopper/cafe look. My idea for this bike was to mix a little Jap-style chopper (stock tank, turn signals, brake upgrade, pleated seat, black paint), a little british-bike style (tail light, chrome fenders) and a little US Cafe Racer (clubmans and chrome gauges).

The end result is supposed to be a two-up cafe/commuter that I can ride to work and take weekend trips with since it will be more reliable (more stock) and more civilized (softer suspension, better brakes, turn signals, long seat) than my CB450.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another one:

What a goofy fender. My friend told me that SR500 fenders bolt up and have a rounded front instead of the weird squared-off shape of the XS. I'm trying to find one right now.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To do:

1. Get the fucker running right (new manifolds, poss. pull and clean carbs AGAIN, elec. ign.)
2. polish engine side covers
3. pack mufflers with baffling (LOUD now)
4. replace swingarm bushings, paint swingarm
5. paint & install chain guard
6. dual front disc conversion
7. rearsets
8. better front fender

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
those repop Hellas are very frail

good luck with them

looks like it could be a neat bike if you aren't afraid to get it naked

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

good luck with them

Thanks - I don't really plan to strip this one down much. I kinda like it all put together. The CB450 is for terrorizing the neighbors. THis one is for commuting in style. I might even put chrome superbike bars on it (horror of horrors!).

The Hella lights do seem wimpy. I didn't pay much for them though. If they break I'll probably do front and rear mini signals, Japanese style.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think the bike looks really good. Hell I don't have anything bad to say about it. I wouldn't mind trying to shoehorn a 650 engine into my XS400 frame if I could find a good engine cheap enough. Where there's a welder, there's a way....and plenty of discs for my cutoff wheel.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

good luck with them

Prophetic quote - I swapped bars around to get rid of the Geetobars and one of the fuckers broke.

Their outside diameter is huge compared to any quality handlebars I have around here. The must only fit inside similarly cheap & nasty Taiwanese bars.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

good luck with them

Prophetic quote - I swapped bars around to get rid of the Geetobars and one of the fuckers broke.

Their outside diameter is huge compared to any quality handlebars I have around here. The must only fit inside similarly cheap & nasty Taiwanese bars.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Progress:

quote:Originally posted by robertob

1. Get the fucker running right (new manifolds, poss. pull and clean carbs AGAIN, elec. ign.)99% there - tiny jetting tweaks now. I had to replace the cracked left manifold and convert to electronic ign. to get it running well
2. polish engine side covers left side done
3. pack mufflers with baffling (LOUD now) done - new baffles & packing
7. rearsets
8. better front fender
Still working on the rest. Standby for pics.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Progress:

quote:Originally posted by robertob

1. Get the fucker running right (new manifolds, poss. pull and clean carbs AGAIN, elec. ign.)99% there - tiny jetting tweaks now. I had to replace the cracked left manifold and convert to electronic ign. to get it running well
2. polish engine side covers left side done
3. pack mufflers with baffling (LOUD now) done - new baffles & packing
7. rearsets
8. better front fender
Still working on the rest. Standby for pics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts