Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to show off the fruits of my labors. I've been on this SR for the last 6 months. I'll post a before and an "after" it's not officially an after yet though.
I bought it as a junker but it has title so why not revive it.

I used an old BSA tank, but I'm putting the tank badges in a frame for my office and bondoing over the tank badge dents. I'm still not sure what color to paint it yet, but I'll decide before the weekend.

The swingarm is of course sponsored by yours truly as posted in members projects.
Here's where I am today.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
very cool...... BSA tank?

I'd prefer less seat and maybe even a fitted glass pan but that bike isn't bad at all.

Really dig the wheels and swingarm too

does the swingarm ride on needles? timkens? bushings?

Like to see more details

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
very cool...... BSA tank?

I'd prefer less seat and maybe even a fitted glass pan but that bike isn't bad at all.

Really dig the wheels and swingarm too

does the swingarm ride on needles? timkens? bushings?

Like to see more details

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The swingarm rides on stock SR500 hardware (needle bearings.) yea, I know I'm a fan of solo seats as well. I have one set aside for my CB350 (in the background) It was just a design choice I made for this bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The swingarm rides on stock SR500 hardware (needle bearings.) yea, I know I'm a fan of solo seats as well. I have one set aside for my CB350 (in the background) It was just a design choice I made for this bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sweet SR! The SR500 is one of my "must-have" bikes.
You are doing some nice work; really dig the swingarm. (Any plans to produce a swingarm for the Honda CB550/750K series? I'm SURE you would sell many!!!).
There is only one Yammy thumper that I would rather have than the SR, and that is the SRX600. Drool City!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sweet SR! The SR500 is one of my "must-have" bikes.
You are doing some nice work; really dig the swingarm. (Any plans to produce a swingarm for the Honda CB550/750K series? I'm SURE you would sell many!!!).
There is only one Yammy thumper that I would rather have than the SR, and that is the SRX600. Drool City!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, for the compliment. I'd love to do some swingarms for the hondas. I have a CB350 to measure. But my first road bike and one I keep close to my heart is the CB500. I'd like to measure up both of those and a CB750 for the hondas, and a xs650 to round off the Yamahas.
I agree the SRX is a hot bike. I do however prefer the SR for the classic look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, for the compliment. I'd love to do some swingarms for the hondas. I have a CB350 to measure. But my first road bike and one I keep close to my heart is the CB500. I'd like to measure up both of those and a CB750 for the hondas, and a xs650 to round off the Yamahas.
I agree the SRX is a hot bike. I do however prefer the SR for the classic look.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Dig the exhaust. It looks like you repositioned the upper shock mounts too. What's up with that kick-start lever? (that would break off on the second kick on my engine...)

FR

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Dig the exhaust. It looks like you repositioned the upper shock mounts too. What's up with that kick-start lever? (that would break off on the second kick on my engine...)

FR

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't reposition the top shock mounts but I did have to weld on a new rear section (see picture 1) The guy before me chopped it off and welded some weird light mounting loop. I have a 90mm hi-comp piston, a Megacycle cam and R+D springs so its pretty hard to kick over! the kick starter is strong enough to take it for years. It's a stock kick lever that was just heated and bent to clear the rearsets. The apex of the starter is shorter but I've got the engine dialed in to start pretty easily - so no worries. I have like 3 extra starters should I want to re-position the rearsets and go back to the original.
The exhaust is an ebay find but came as a pure mega- no core. I got some perforated ss tube and glass packing and put the whole thing together. I think the hardest part is dealing with the rearsts. they're touching the mega when I engage the rear brake hard...and we can't have that! So i'll be looking at that problem this weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't reposition the top shock mounts but I did have to weld on a new rear section (see picture 1) The guy before me chopped it off and welded some weird light mounting loop. I have a 90mm hi-comp piston, a Megacycle cam and R+D springs so its pretty hard to kick over! the kick starter is strong enough to take it for years. It's a stock kick lever that was just heated and bent to clear the rearsets. The apex of the starter is shorter but I've got the engine dialed in to start pretty easily - so no worries. I have like 3 extra starters should I want to re-position the rearsets and go back to the original.
The exhaust is an ebay find but came as a pure mega- no core. I got some perforated ss tube and glass packing and put the whole thing together. I think the hardest part is dealing with the rearsts. they're touching the mega when I engage the rear brake hard...and we can't have that! So i'll be looking at that problem this weekend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts