Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna have my day in court tomorrow. Anybody have any words of wisdom for getting reduced points/fine? I was on the Bandit, slowly passing cars, in a tuck, but not ripping. The Trooper had set up a speed trap, said he got me doing 88 or something, but I don't think I was, or if I was then everybody else was doing 80+.
I figure I have to try to fight these bastards regardless. I f'ing hate speeding tickets and the cops that hand 'em out, when I'm just minding my biz and not doing stupid shit.
F*ck 'em.

FR

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
don't wear your N.W.A. vintage F.T.P. t-shirt to court.

tex

p.s.- seriously, the trooper will be there, and if he doesn't approach you, approach him. work a deal to where you'll plead guilty to a lesser charge with no points, and agree to pay the full fine.

easy-peasy right.....well maybe?!?!?!?

don't do like i always do, which is consult cop/trooper buddies of mine who advise me on which case law i should look up and enter into evidence during the hearing......i've lost both times.

good luck!

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

·
Registered
187 Posts
ahhh.... reminds of the time my dad and I got speeding tickets in N.H. on our way back from Maine. I believe we were both doing just under 100 mph. We were just happy not to get arrested. No advice, but I hope the officer doesn't show up for your sake.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tex, sounds good, I'll see if I can pick him out of the group.
I wish I had a N.W.A. T, I'd blend right in up in here.

FR

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
FR,
I never started fighting tickets until fairly recently, when I figured WTF, what's to lose? The drill in N.J. at least is when you show up in court the prosecutor will ask anybody with a ticket, (as opposed to like a murder one charge) and wants to plead it, to a side bar, and without fail he'll bust it down, at least points and with luck the fine too, and then you talk nice to the Judge. Damn, that's a dense sentence. I shouldn't have had that second Scotch. Or was it three?

Anyway, if you've never been I understand your anxiety. It's actually a real eye full in terms of what really happens on any given day. And to be incredably unPC, I never fathomed how racist and biased most courts are. Next time I see you we'll swap notes and I'll tell about the ticket I got in Princeton. But you're a white, middle class guy who can form a sentence. You'll be fine. Just don't let all the other non-white, lower income speed freak bikers the Judge is hauling off rattle you, and plead your case. As you said F*ck'em.

Aw shit- long story, short. Listen to Tex.

I'm going to bed now. Good Luck. As they say in N.H.; "Live Free or Die". Fuck em. (No offense to my N.H. friends).

Cheers- Leo

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
FR,
Work a deal with the DA. In traffic cases it is almost always the assistant da that is lowest on the shit list that gets the traffic cases. They want the esy way out. Also pay attention to the cases that the judge has to listen to before ours. They get so many stupid sob's that couldn't tell a good story if their life depended on it that the judge is bored to tears. Work a deal with the da, give the judge a good concise story and get out with minimal damage.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I just call my lawyer whenever I get a ticket. He's never failed to have it reduced to a non-moving violation. And the total price is usually less than the fine I would have payed for the speeding offense.
Soon as you hire a lawyer they know you are not an idiot and deal with the offense accordingly. They realize you know how the system works (for better or worse) and are willing to contribute your money to maintain that system of back scratching. Remember...judges and lawyers are old college buddies..... if Judges didn't reduce the charges then their buddies wouldn't get any easy income from traffic violations. And the judges get to clear the dockett and gather some easy revenue...a win/win situation in their eyes.

If you are way out of town it gets more difficult. Local lawyers have way more pull than out of towners.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
quote:
"I just call my lawyer whenever I get a ticket."

johnny,
....why you have to work those 14 hour days...
-parks

·
Registered
61 Posts
So, aside from the ticket -- how's the road surface on the Kangamangus? Did they finally get the whole thing resurfaced?

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
show, up, plead guilty with an explanation, tell the guy what you were doing, and why you were doing it. make sure to tell them you have aclean record blah blah blah. theyll probably halve the fine and youll get pbj'd. be honest.

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
A fine reduction is not what you want. Pay the fine. Just try to get rid of the points. The points are what kill you. The fine is a one time payment to make the problem go away. Your insurance company will find out about the points and jack your rates up for years.

Try to negotiate away the points.

The lawyer idea isn't a bad one, either. In the NH court system you get very little time to plead your case.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If your record is clean get a copy from the DMV and bring with you to show the judge that this is a rarity.

I had 3 speeding tickets in 2 months but no other for 4+ years. Bad luck i suppose. I rescheduled all tickets for court on different dates as close as i could get them. Since none of the 3 were on my record yet i got 2 of them reduced to failure to obey a sign. Still a moving violation, but only 1 point and smaller fine. The other ticket was reduced from 15+ to 5+. Insurance didnt even go up.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
The judge will already have a copy of his record. They always do in case your have probation and to make a call on your driving. Most of the time, if youre record is clean, youll get pbj'd and have to pay a portion of the fine. The probation drops the points off, unless you get another ticket. So the key is to keep your nose clean for a bit. Remember, they want the money. the points will destroy your insurance. so taking probation is about as god as youre going to be offered unless the cop is a no show. and they get paid to be there. so.... its not always possible to find the cop before the trial starts. They are usually drinking coffee or screwing around somewhere else. Same goes with the da.

since the cop obviously ran your record when he pulled you over he probably wrote the ticket for exceeding, and didnt go for wrecklessness. so that plays into your hand a little.

like i said, dont dick around, be honest, if you were speeding, tell them you were speeding. explain why, and re-iterate you have a clean record. if you do. and dont pleade innocent if you arent. that allows the cop to testify and he can pull out all kinds of crap then. remember, these guys are pros at this. they do it everyday. theyve seen it all.

just my opinion

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
quote: how's the road surface on the Kangamangus? Did they finally get the whole thing resurfaced?
Yes they did and it is very nice!! This past summer I was riding there and the national guard was doing low level flights with A-10's.
It was flippin AWESOME!! They were flying right over the tree tops and following the road. It was like a sceene out of a sci-fi movie.

JS

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
good luck dude,
I'd play it straight up. clean record. going with the flow plus 5, just got strafed by an oblivious suvlady on the cell, minding my own biz. Hopefully Jack Officer will be a no show.
Livin free in NH what a joke, out of state plates and you're f'ed. Thieve'n bastards. bcr

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
What's weird is...when a lawyer handles it...they just make a phone call and it get's done. No court, no nothing.

I've had the same attorney for 20+ years, his office right across from the city court. Always helps to have a "respectable" attorney, not one of the local ambulance chasers. He handles our real estate, will etc. I walk in, hand the ticket to Marge his secretary, she asks what it is, says she'll send me a bill and a plea agreement. Unless it's something crazy like wreckless driving or DUI, it's a simple matter. Typically about $200 including the fine ( and yes I often have to pay the fine for the actual infraction, not the reduction).

Got out of a seat belt ticket on the way to NH last year by writing a humorous note on the ticket when I mailed it in....they just charged me court costs, no fine.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
quote:
joe,

pbj'ed = peanut butter & jelly?

sounds kinky!

tex

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto
PBJ - prayer before judgement. You pay the fine and they "hold" the points. You fuck up within three years and you get the points being held plus whatever you earned with the new offense. Some states (NC, VA) have this, some states (NJ) do not. It's nice in that it takes a realistic view of life - everybody makes mistakes.....

Jim

1 - 20 of 38 Posts