Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Denver Museum of Modern Art: Complete down to the links in the chain and every nut and bolt.

I thought this was cool as a polar bears toenail. As an novice wood carver, this thing blew my mind. Wish I had more than my phone camera.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I concure on the CB450.

Are you saying that sucker is carved from WOOD?? He even got the rust on the spokes. Maybe he just a real good fauxfinish painter?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Entire thing is wood even the clutch/brake cables. 15 different type if i remember correct.

And the placard did read a CB450. Must mean Cherry/Balsa this time...eh oh! (cheesy comes easy)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Wow, I just wish I had the time to carve a CB450 out of wood. That is apsolutely insane!!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Insanely Incredible!

Incredible? That's obvious.

Insane? It would be no more work, maybe, to have whittled out a Vincent, Knuckle, SS100 Alpine, WR/KR/XR, Kompressor....... you name it

and it be worth perhaps 50 times as much

perhaps the artist will prove prolific

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Prolific ? ?

Your assuming i was smart enough to photo the id plaque so we would know who made this. My foresight is not nearly as good as my hindsight, and even that is kinda fuzzy.

I have done multiple searches in the interweb and have gotten skunked. Denver Institute of Art would be a place to start if interested.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Those rear shocks are amazing..... cnc or hand carved, that spring was no easy feat

·
Registered
241 Posts
As an amateur boat builder I'll hazard a guess that the spring is wound - steam bent.

Especially with the right kind of green wood, steamed for the right amount of time in a good steam box, you can tie it in a knot. For a little while anyway, until it cools off. I steam bent all the frames in a canoe I made. 14' canoe, 20lb total weight.

Michael

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Cool, the closest I've come to that is fitting gun stocks made bendable by a stream of boiling oil.

Whatcha got in little boats?
Love buying finned aluminum run abouts for aluminum spot. :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From what I could tell, all parts were machine made, hand finished. Cant really see the joints of the multiple pieces, but they are there.

Not exactly sure how they pulled off the coils or got the tensile strength of the spokes to support the thing. The post under the stand is only there to prevent a tip over.

Crap camera phone doesnt show the subtle changes in texture and color from all the different types of wood. The inside portion of the seat was a beautiful piece of cherry.

·
Registered
241 Posts
For stuff I've built I just have the canoe (Platt Monfort design, called the Snowshoe 14), an 8' Bolger designed Nymph pram with leeboard and sail rig and a partially completed Kulzinski (sp?) designed sheet plywood (3mm mahogany ply) kayak. I built one other sheet ply kayak, but ended up giving it to a friend as it was too small for me - my legs fell asleep paddling it.

I've also got a plastic kayak - a Necky Narpa. Love it - it's indistructable. No need to take care when getting into the shallows.

Michael

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
For the love of all that's good

Pix......

How long ago was that on display? I'm not fond of the idea of having to paint you with some of that one shot force fed lsr cb350 brush.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Almost a year ago - Feb 09 - Ive also seen snaps of it from the Detroit Art Institute, so its a traveling display. Makes it somewhat difficult to nail down.

Que es " one shot force fed lsr cb350 brush " ??

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Well there is a recent example of somebody posting a single shot of such a bike they had seen at the salt flats

this isnt such an extreme case of malfeasance and negligence

but its at least a toe in the same pond

I'd like to know who did it and see more better of it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had I known then I was in the early stages of this disease, and known it would progress sooooooo quickly, I would have been more astute to the needs of the of greater good.

As it is, I have been poking around for a year or so and have had -0- luck. Ill find it eventually....

And the salt flats pic wasnt this same CB was it? There are several other wooden bikes, but NONE as detailed as this.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts