Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

I googled... I’m sure the more knowledgeable would have known this off the top of their head.

Nice read...

JOE AND ALMA – THE FIRST AMERICAN COUPLE TO RACE THE ISLE OF MAN TT

Thanks for the history lesson!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The photo is a little blurry, need a hint to confirm,
do I spy with my little eye, something that looks like a fairly large Dell'orto carburetor?
the gt750 tread made me think of this engine. instead of reeds on a piston port engine- back around 1981? before cagiva made there own gp500 engines they would use/modify yamaha inline fours and suzuki square fours. the engine in the pic for the most part is a yamaha inline 4 (ow35/47/47r) and instead of reeds they put rotary disc valve intakes on it. what looks like a long intake trac in the middle is a horizontal plate with rotary .

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I am thinking TZ500J if that's the year that had twp forward facing cylinders and two facing rearwards, but that intake looks odd. TZs always had fairly short intakes and the frame looks wrong, so maybe it's an Italian chassis wrapped around a J motor.

But the 500J had a carb facing forward on the outer cylinder, so that's not right either. Maybe it's a set of PGM crankcases or a Nico Bakker frame or JJ Cobas.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
But the 500J had a carb facing forward on the outer cylinder, so that's not right either. Maybe it's a set of PGM crankcases or a Nico Bakker frame or JJ Cobas.
1981 cagiva frame i believe, i do believe it is a yamaha inline of some sort. just with there own design of rotary intake replacing piston port, underneath the plate that the rotarys spin in you can see the pully wheel that the belt turns ,. , dont think it made more power then the yamaha original design. wonder if it ever finished a race? it does look like the outside exhaust exits the rear, the case reworked to accept the rotary intake

1 - 14 of 14 Posts