Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a hybrid CB350/2-stroke bike. I've got the trash pile CB350 that I posted pics of earlier in the General section. Obviously the bike is beyond hope but the frame is sound. I've read a few threads about swapping in an air cooled 2 stroke and have decided to tackle it. Looking for at least a 250cc air cooled engine as I don't want to mess with the radiators. An old KX or CR500 engine would probably be overkill but why not?

So, if anyone has a good air cooled 2 stroke they'de like to sell, let me know.

Thanks in advance and all coments, suggestions and insults are welcome.
Ryan

Gas Right, Clutch Left

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I have been thinking about the exact same project. I decided to look for an IT465 yamaha since it would have a lighting coil, heavier flywheel and milder porting. That woud be easier than trying to deal with a MX motor. I think a DT400 or TS400 would also work good. Did anybody else make a big 2 stroke air cooled enduro or dual purpose bike? I think maybe KTM had something with a big radial finned head on it, but have no idea what the model designation would be and they had those scary Motosplat ignitions on them and where would you ever find parts?

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is perfect! I may have to make a trip to St. Cloud. I knew that finding a running 2 stroke from that vintage would be hard but I didn't think it would be this hard. I looked for almost a month before I posted on the board. All I came up with was a barely running YZ490 and I wouldn't take one of those crappers if you gave it to me.

Ya Ken, I read that thread somewhere on here and it sounded like a fun project. I love a good streetgoing 2 stroke and I have a pile of parts to build with. It'll be interesting to see what takes shape.

Thanks for the heads up on those DT's Ratty.

Gas Right, Clutch Left

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Chetripley,
Go for it. Since I am getting rid of all of my CB350 spare chassis I don't know what I am going to do. I have the stock wheels and front end for my Seca 550 just sitting around now so I may just stick them on a street legal air cooled 2 stroke and go from there. That way I don't have to worry about motor mounts or stuff.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds like a much better plan Ken. I'll still probably do it just to see what I can screw up. I'll keep you posted.

Gas Right, Clutch Left

1 - 6 of 6 Posts