Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 360 clutch has started to slip a little. so i need another. I've looked around, and can't find one other than used ones on ebay.
I want an upgrade from stock. Anyone have any good leads?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, That's perfect. they also have an e-ignition, though it is very expensive.
Do you know how well that clutch drives on the street? I'm getting it anyway, but I would like to know before I install.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I'm sorry but I have no idea on the street. I just got the Barnett clutch from Bore-Tech for my CB350 race bike about a month ago based on advice from other racers. It seems to work fine on that so I'd imagine it'd work fine on a street bike.

Craig

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Why do you need an upgrade from stock? I use stock clutches in my race bikes with heavy springs. The key is proper setup and adjustment. I have found stock Honda clutches to be over engineered for mostly stock motors.

Ken

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I usually upgrade when I replace things like this. OEM has to make concessions. They have to make a generic version to appeal to the masses. Some guys hate riding around on a stiff suspension and an aggressive clutch. Yes the stock clutches are okay. But aluminum impregnated cork material isn't as god as the new friction materials they have today. In every car I have i have upgraded the clutch. this gives me less slip and more control. This clutch has worn out with less than 10K on the clock. I've had tires last longer. I ride this bike pretty aggressively and expect it to work every time. The only way I can expect that is to build it for my needs. The clutch is one of the first things I do to every vehicle. If an upgraded clutch only costs me $100 and will get me the reliability I need, then it is worth it.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I have raced with stock Honda clutches since 1977. If the clutch is worn out in 10K then it has not been adjusted properly and/or has been abused. Comparing stock motorcycle clutches to stock car clutches is not a reasonable comparison. They are entirely different animals. If a stock clutch will do everything that is asked of it then how can anything be an "improvement"? Stock Honda motorcycle clutches are very over engineered. Springs on the other hand do need replacement. On the CB350 or 360, I use Barrnett or Vesrah springs for the CB550/750. As far as I know, the slip and control of the clutch is controlled by my left hand, not the material in the plates. But, if the clutch is worn out, then you might as well replace it with Barnett plates the only stick and grab a little more than stock. BTW, how worn are the stock friction plates? how are the stock steel plates? Glazed? Warped? Blued? How much too short are the springs?

Ken

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I've always found Honda clutches to be fine as is, the springs however are pretty weak and last about 18 months~2 yrs.
Personally I would just fit heavy duty springs.
I have heard Barnett clutches are a bit 'grabby' for general use although for racing its an advantage?
PJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts