Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a service manual for my Yamaha XS400. I've found a few on ebay, but I'm not sure what exactly I need. They all have letters after them, like J/RJ, H/HS, J-K, things like that. My bike has electic start and rear disk. Could anything tell me what category it falls under so I can get the right service manual?

Also, are Haynes manuals for old bikes worth getting?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Personally, I like to have a few different manuals for any particular bike that I have. Sometimes a Clymer won't have the info that a Haynes has (Chilton, etc,and vise versa) and with different takes on the same repair, you get a clearer picture on how any particular repair is done. A factory manual is a good one to have also.
I like to find the older manuals with the high performance section in the back. Mostly Chiltons, but the other ones sometimes have the Hi-Po section. The manuals with the Hi-po section usually has "secrets from top tuners"/"Hi-Po Tuning" on the top of the front cover.
The repair manuals that I have usually cover the complete model line from one year to another year. They would usually have all the model variants (J/RJ,etc) as the differences from one model to the next are usually small and it is easier to make 1 manual for all the models instead of 4 manuals for 1 model and its variants.
DG

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
hey dogfister,
i'm with you on the manuals...many points of view usually show the way best,
-parks
ps. simmons has more hot chicks eating out of his hand than most of us even dream of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts