Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at this 1974 cb750 bored 836cc(unsure of who did work or kit installed, hoping wiseco?) Has pod filters, leaking carbs, pod filters, chopped exhaust. Rear subframe is chopped with no hoop. Subframe is squeezed shut behind rear shock mount. My big question is is it fucked beyond repair??? Side note, has clip ons, led headlight and miscellaneous stuff. Pics attached

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
People make band saw mills out of old motorcycles that don't have much motorcycle left in them, it's a real thing.

If the motor runs good you are buying the motor, the rest is just scrap. does it have an ownership?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it have an ownership? Like a title. Yes. Fuck it.im gonna buy it for 1000

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
omg american $ that's like 1330 canadian, way steep for a very incomplete motorcycle in mostly rust.
Have you ever rode one of these things?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rust is intentional on the tank, exhaust etc. What I'm slightly worried about is the rust on the subframe. What else is "incomplete"? I'm gonna rip most of the shit out and do a cafe racer build so. Also nope, not a 750

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
"The rust is intentional on the tank, exhaust etc" omg you didn't buy that line did you, nobody does that to steel to benefit anything.
Need to realize the bored out engine was likely done because the first one seized, the big bore kit was a, might as well go the cheaper then OEM parts repair route. The suspension components are box stock original spring holders, fork oil might have have been changed once or twice.
That bike is a freight train, (IF you get it running good) I would not want to own one with clip ons. Not enough purchase on the bars
and it doesn't even have a fairing or a front fender, which is total bs. You ever rode a bike without a front fender? It sucks.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
The brakes on that bike suck bad by today standards. Think Brakes like leather, a frame that wiggles,
and stock geometry and suspension is prone to dragging hard parts in not very fast corners.
... and that was when they were brand new in 1974
and you are paying very close to the full list original price.
Our money was worth a lot more in 1974 ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rust being intentional....dude you should see my brothers mk2 gti. We rusted the fenders and skinned the hood. It's a popular thing where I live. I was gonna tank fenders faring etc. And yeah cb550 just not a 750. Was gonna probably switch to clubman handlebars...I guess you're getting hung up on the small things. My main question is how rough do you think it will be to fix the rear subframe. I only have a 110 welder and wouldnt want to try with mine. It's fine for making seat pans/battery boxes and shit. That rear subframe just worries me

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The brakes on that bike suck bad by today standards. Think Brakes like leather, a frame that wiggles,
and stock geometry and suspension is prone to dragging hard parts in not very fast corners.
Planning on upgrading brakes, suspension etc. I'm gonna do a frame off man

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I didn't elaborate enough. I'm gonna have someone with a 220welder fix up the frame and have my powder coat guy coat it and then build it. I just didn't want to get into the engine. I can do everything else

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
"I guess you're getting hung up on the small things"
Yes, I like my motorcycles to be complete and really perform well. Kind of obsessed with it.
I fix them to ride the **** out of them. No art projects here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What frame is better for that engine? Fill me in. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Fixing moderate mechanical issues is not a problem. I could even get into the engine...I just don't want to until maybe next winter

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Honda made the CR750 for racing, it had a different frame,
Rickman made a better aftermarket frame among others, there are guys on this sit e that scratch build custom motorcycle frames.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honda made 750 for racing...what's the different frame? I'm looking ata750. I'm sure there are people out there that make frames yes. I'm also sure it's not cheap

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
CB was the street bikes, CR was their racing motorcycles.
Look for Rickman stuff for that bike, that's what cafe racer people wanted their CB to be more like back in the day when your bike was current tech.
Powder coat is not cheap, and sadly the most valuable feature of your frame is the VIN if you can plate and insure it. ,,, up here that bike would never see a license plate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh I missed the cr. I thought you said cb. I'll look for rickman. I have a friend with a powder coating business....it's not gonna be much. Why would it never see a license plate in canada? Y'all are weird for sure. We don't even have an inspection in colorado. As long as it has lights and turns and maybe mirrors I don't remember you're good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CB was the street bikes, CR was their racing motorcycles.
Look for Rickman stuff for that bike, that's what cafe racer people wanted their CB to be more like back in the day when your bike was current tech.
Powder coat is not cheap, and sadly the most valuable feature of your frame is the VIN if you can plate and insure it. ,,, up here that bike would never see a license plate.
I looked up rickman. That's nothing like what I'm shooting for. I'm going for this look but with forced rusted metal parts. Of course they will be sealed with clear coat...or I might do bare metal.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts