Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, this is my first post. I just recently bought a 1974 yamaha tx500 as a cafe racer project. Once i brought the bike home i unfortunately realized three of the exhaust valves were stuck open so im in the middle of that currently. But, the bike did not come with any exhaust system. My questions to you all are is are there any aftermarket pipes i can use? maybe off a honda cl or something. Do i attempt to fabricate my own pipes? :confused:thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
found several on fleabay...you bought a non running bike? Do you have mechanical skills and a buttload of cash to make it run?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Do you have any pics of your yamaha?

What are you attempting to convert it to?

Just a little pic I had from google. The bike pictured by dirkchecken has one of my personal favorite wheels from that time period.

Screenshot_2016-01-12-14-59-04.png

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey, i didnt know the bike had three stuck valves when i bought it, im waiting on the engine gasket set to come in then its all going back together. FullSizeRender.jpg the rootbeer bike is mine, and the blue one is what im going for. tx500 cr.jpg lastly, does anyone else know of any headers that might fit on other than stock?

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
Great,,,,,,

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
If that blue bike is your goal this isn't the site for you. Its an awful unusable bike with pointless ill informed cliche mods done to it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I just rebuilt one of those engines with an XS head (you want it trust me). It had the common issue of dropping valve seat which is pretty bad. Oh. Good luck finding a cam chain link. I think there are literally 3 left for sale at the moment and they're around $100 each. I can't tell you enough how problematic these things can be if they want to be.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
hey, i didnt know the bike had three stuck valves when i bought it, im waiting on the engine gasket set to come in then its all going back together. View attachment 17733 the rootbeer bike is mine, and the blue one is what im going for. View attachment 17734 lastly, does anyone else know of any headers that might fit on other than stock?
I like how the pipe wrap, seat, grips and chain are the same color. Big tires will get plenty of looks also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
These were unloved for the most part in their day. They did have some useful parts for us RD guys. The fuel tanks were of larger capacity than our RD350s but more importantly the had two petcocks, one for each of our carbs and we could eliminate the pesky balance tube that dumped fuel all over everything everytime you needed to remove the tank. Just required a palm sized dimple on each side in the front to clear your clipped. Also both fork legs had caliper mounting ears to facilitate the dual discs we all thought we needed at the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts