Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring a Honda S90. The title reads that it is a 1967. From what I have read and what my bike has does not add up. According to information I have found, my bike should have painted fenders, Mine has chrome. My bike has handlebars with a cross bar, from what I have learned, the S90 did not have these type of bars. My serial number is S90-674XXX. Any accurate information and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
have you joined the yahoo group yet?

remember these things are 50 years old, things got changed. also sometimes what 'should' be on there, isn't. You probably have a bike that was built from bits at some point, or crashed, or 'upgraded' because someone liked the chrome fenders better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't joined Yahoo yet. The bike has been in the family since the early 70's. And it has not been changed since then. Am I correct with the fenders and the handlebars needing to be changed to make it original?

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Obviously if your bike didn't come with chrome fenders or cross bar handles they would need to be changed to be original. Those items are the 2 easiest things to change because it may have been crashed once and bent the bars and or fenders. If the title matches numbers on the frame you can count on it being a 67. Like raven mentioned, it's a 50 year old bike and the chances of your family members remembering everything they did to it are slim.
If you Google "1967 Honda S90" and go to images you will see quite a few with chrome fenders and cross bar handlebars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen the pictures as well and they still leave me wondering just because I have read on a Honda site that chrome fenders were not put on until March of 1968. And was told the cross bars were not on the "S" models. So I don't know if Honda offered them as an option or both fenders and handlebars were changed. And my front fender has a reflector on it.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
why are you posting in the introductory section of the forum?
I didn't see an introduction. AFAIK there is no clear indication of year from the VIN - yahoo group has cross reference charts for checking on what #s other people have with confirmed years. But as stated I don't think they had clear K1, K2... year models. Changes were overlapping and the year a bike was came from the date it was sold.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Join the yahoo group. Lots of guys really know about the bikes.S90 had low bars, hard to find now. In the pictures posted here the one w the upswept exhaust is not an S90.Jack

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
So I don't know if Honda offered them as an option
For the record, until the late 1970's honda didn't offer "options" on any bike. Bikes only came one way and if they offered a different cofiguration it was a different model. They would offer accessories and parts which could be dealer installed sometimes, and dealers often took it upon themselves to outfit new bikes with honda and aftermarket accessories that their customers wanted. Remember, all these vehicles were essentially toilet paper when new, people didn't care about originality or keeping things stock, they changed as saw fit and usually threw them away when they were used up.

My advice? clean it up and keep it nice and ride it and don't care so much about originality. From a value standpoint having the "correct" pieces adds like $50 to the overall value of a bike that on it's best day is overpriced at a couple grand and will cost $500 to get the right pieces. If you have to have it for "nostalgia" purposes then maybe your feel goods about being 18 again are worth $500.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts