Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am stuck with which bike to go with for a cafe project. I know most of you don't like the cb125 because it's over priced but I just want a cafe project I can use to putt around town. Here is the first bike that's in mint condition I know it's listed high but if I can get if for around $900 I'll be happy https://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/4992093617.html and the second bike isn't in the best condition but comes with a couple extra frames and a parts engine. I talked the guy down to $500. What do you guys think would be better? I'm trying to save as much money as possible but I also want a reliable bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like how it's smaller engine looks really good when everything is tucked. Also I can't find a decent bike within that price range that has low miles these bikes only have 3000.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
That bike seems O.K., including the price.

It's too small for a café racer style bike, even for city use. Riding around town on a tiny bike with clipons, is all pain for no gain. Clipons are really only any use on a bike if you are riding around over 70MPH everywhere. Under that they are pretty useless.

Buy it, maintain it well, and ride it how it is.

Danger, is my business."

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
View attachment 14669
I really like the look of this bike imagine it with the battery hidden
That bike is an unridable joke.

Stop gazing all the day away looking at junk " build " bikes on your cell phone.

That bike would steer and ride like total crap.

That bike is not a dream bike, it's actually a slow - as nightmare bike. If you hit a bump, it would likely lock up the front wheel and throw you onto your head. Like dead.

Go buy an Evolution Harley - Davidson Sportster.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I was just saying his café racer inspiration couldn't be ridden.
I personally like the 160 and 175 twins a lot more, but hipsters and racers alike have depleted the market
and they aren't cheap and easy to find anymore.
As for paying $500 for a rideable one, that's not too bad. Even if it doesn't look good, it wouldn't cost much to clean it up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which bike seems ok? There is 2. Also I'm going to build it into a cafe that's the reason I'm getting a bike. I want to build something unique. I'm not too worried about it going over 70 this will just be to put around town as in 2000 people in my town lol you could say it's small. I mostly just interested in what you guys thinks a better deal. If you think a 125 is too small post a link of a bike in my area under $1000 in good shape

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Get the 1980 Honda 125 CB on CL.

Service it using the factory manual, and just ride it as it is.

Your first bike is not a café fashion accessory, it's tool of learning how to survive on the road, and cheap transport.

Go book an MSF course today.

It's going to cost you hundreds for safety gear, have you factored that in?

Forget the fat wheeled bike, it's just crap sonny. Honestly :rolleyes:

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just looked up a picture to show as reference lol . I'm saving my money to build my car which is what I'm passionate about but also want a bike to putt around town/take to shows while I'm working on my car. No need to be rude . This also isn't my "dream bike" just something I car ride/build this summer then sell it and either get a bigger cb or build a bike from scratch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have rode dirtbikes all my life,I've had my motorcycle lincense for some time and recently sold a street bike I had since I was 16. I am capable of riding and have safety gear. I'm not really looking for safety advice just wanted a second opinion on the two bikes I posted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also don't want a stock bike that's no fun that's not the reason I want a bike I like building things up like I do with cars just bike are a lot cheaper and would be a fun side project

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I just looked up a picture to show as reference lol . I'm saving my money to build my car which is what I'm passionate about but also want a bike to putt around town/take to shows while I'm working on my car. No need to be rude . This also isn't my "dream bike" just something I car ride/build this summer then sell it and either get a bigger cb or build a bike from scratch.
It's not rude, it's reality.

If you can't afford to build a car, how do you plan to have any money left over to buy and maintain a bike? That's reality too.

Save your pennies, and get a bigger bike later.

Forget the " putt around town, take it to shows, and " the building experience ". It really is wallet and soul destroying nonsense for a noob.

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/5056789686.html :This bike just seems neglected and in need of work and needs bucks thrown at it, I'd avoid it. Only think of paying for bikes that run good when you go and look at them. If it doesn't start in three or four kicks from dead cold, just walk away.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can afford to build my car trust me I am pushing over 450hp to the rear wheels. I'm saving up for an engine swap that is $10000 to complete I'd rather spend $1000 on a bike do all the fab work in my shop for nothing and have a bike I can ride and take to shows while I am building my car.

- - - Updated - - -

I swear every og forum member just tries to rip people who just join a new one lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought forums were about giving advice, showing off your builds and asking technical questions not getting roasted for asking a simple question. I'm not looking for financial advice if i have to put money into it so be it I'm not really worried about it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's the way you work. I'm sure there is people on this forum who are not here just to put people down (maybe it makes you feel better about your self) and act like just because someone has a budget means that they can't afford a better bike. I honestly would rather buy an engine to swap in my car than buy a bike. If I spent $3000 on a bike I couldn't justify that to myself because that could be a new set of wheels of my car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts