Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
That's the way you work. I'm sure there is people on this forum who are not here just to put people down (maybe it makes you feel better about your self) and act like just because someone has a budget means that they can't afford a better bike. I honestly would rather buy an engine to swap in my car than buy a bike. If I spent $3000 on a bike I couldn't justify that to myself because that could be a new set of wheels of my car.
You are looking for a cheap bike to customise. Cheap custom bikes don't really exist, even 125's. Even your time is not for free. Any good bike costs real money.

Spend your money on your car: your wallet, your heart and your head is not really into a custom motorcycle. "I honestly would rather buy an engine to swap in my car than buy a bike." , I see.

Your car sounds like a quick trip to poverty: spend there.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Actually I like the small cb125. Is a nice little put around bike. My son always liked the big wheeled bikes people are doing........even though he knows how unpractical they are. A couple of things....

The cafe, big wheeled cb is not rideable. The rear tire would chew up the tail section from a crack in the road. It's too low. With the big Firestones and the heavy rotating mass it makes the cb125....not into a cafe racer but a cafe slower. I mean nice to look at but not very practical.

Custom cafe projects can be expensive and time consuming.....more than you might think. Yea you could get away with clip ons and a cheap tail section for not that much money.....but to anyone who knows bikes knows its crap. Most folks here know about bikes and looks at big wheeled cafes knowing.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I just looked up a picture to show as reference lol . I'm saving my money to build my car which is what I'm passionate about but also want a bike to putt around town/take to shows while I'm working on my car. No need to be rude . This also isn't my "dream bike" just something I car ride/build this summer then sell it and either get a bigger cb or build a bike from scratch.
Focus on your car if that is where your money/time/energy is going to be primarily focused. You seem to think that building a "cafe racer" or even working on a semi project bike is some small, simple thing you just do in a weekend and it's just not the case. It takes real thought, real engineering, and real work. If you are going to juggle 2 projects at a time all you are going to do is steal from peter to pay paul and vice versa. Focus on one thing at a time.

If you want a bike to just putt around on, by the nicest stock bike you can afford and if you have to save up for it then do so. Then just ride it around and enjoy the vintage experience. All of the cheap bikes you have picked in my mind need $500 -$800 of just boring service items, not seats and low bars but cables, tires, brakes, battery, fluids, fuses, suspension service....etc. And keep in mind that at the end of the day you have a $900 bike you invested $2000 into (incl. purchase price) that could be blown into the weeds by a hotted up moped and will give you no ROI. Lesson 1 you need to learn: You buy the previous owners newly added parts at a 75% discount and all their labor for free. Let the previous lose his shirt.

It seems like you are tying to do this for an under $1000 budget. While it is not impossible, the learning curve is almost Everest like with your current expectations and knowledge base. Here are some inevitable facts about your first old motorcycle you need to get right with:

- No matter what you do you are going to lose money. Accept this. I don't care if you are the world's best car flipper, you just don't know this market at all. If you did you wouldn't be buying a project cb125

- Everything you buy will cost you 3x the money. Why? Gear for one. You can drive a car naked and while you risk all sorts of legal action and possible leather/vinyl seat burns you're pretty much ok. But a bike, you need a real helmet, real gloves. real boots, a real jacket, and yes even pants. If you want those things to be stylish, double your gear budget right now. All those people you see riding in distressed jeans, t-shirts, bell 500s, and vans? yeah those dudes are morons. don't be a moron.

- Owning an Old (insert vehicle here) is work. Why? it's fucking old and you can't fight entropy and win, the best you can do is slow it down. shit is just worn out and you are going to have to replace it.

- what ever your budget is for this endavor - triple it. Old shit nickles and dimes you to death. If owning old crap was a good value, regular non-gear head, non-hipster people would do it. There are enough cheap bastards who could care less about the romanticism of 70's industrial made Japanese bikes churned out like toasters but would still chase a bargain.

Now once you re-adjust your thinking, do you still want to do it? because we can make suggestions.

Also, learn to spot the difference between a good bike and a bad bike. The Inspiration picture you posted indicates to people you have unrealistic expectations and are driven by the wrong motivation. once you understand the difference - a lot more will click into place for you.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
one other final thing: Low mileage is a red herring in the bike world. If you think a 3000 mile "barn find" is going to be better than a 30,000 mile daily rider - it ain't. Throw the car thinking out the window right now - it's dumb and impractical for what you want to do.

while "low mileage" barn finds might still apply to brit bikes - remember that most brit stuff in the 70's needed a rebuild back when it was new and needs one more than ever now.

A bike someone rides regularly will be serviced, people will have spent money on it to replace worn out items, it will work. Will it still need things? of course, it's old and they are all just one step away from another part wearing out. But the 3000mile barn find? yeah that shit needs everything right away to even be useable.

Starting in the mid 1970's any japanese bike that is not abused and regularly services (and not a two stroke) is probably good for 50,000 miles. In that context, 20K doesn't seem so bad.

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
Just stop this bullshit already.

If the OP is a troll, this is an old gag.

If for real google "do the ton" join that forum.
Either way, leave.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Buy the cheaper bike and fix it. It's not the cheapest way to go in the long run, but you'll learn a little bit, and you can
Concentrate on the necessary stuff to get it running right, then put your little style goodies on it.
They even make stuff to get more power outof these little motors, but it's not really worth it.
I don't really care to give you crap about how the thing looks, just keep in mind that you need a tire and suspension setup so you don't get hurt. It's not and won't be café racer, but neither are any of my bikes. This is just a moped that happens to be more fun because you get to shift gears. Take it for that, and take the advice here however you want.
But avoid modification that actually makes the bike worse as a means of transportation. You won't enjoy it if it's not comfortable and you wreck your taint on a shitty fiberglass seat every time you hit bump because the suspension is bottomed out.
But yeah, get the cheap one, it's a honda, and if it's not locked up, making it run won't be hard to do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I can do all custom metal/fab work in house and I'm willing to put hours into a bike I have a drift car which is a 1990 240sx with a 2jz swap with 450hp to the rear and a street car that is a 2013 frs with 300hp on a stock engine that I'm looking to do the same swap in this car that I did to my drift car. I have proper safety gear but this is a putt around town/show bike I'm not looking to go fast and Idc if a moped beats me in a race I stick with my car when it comes to racing. So with this build it would be form over function i would look into a faster bike if I was trying to race. $1000 is just a price I put for the bike to run not new bars, powder coat, detab, and the gas tank I plan on building from scratch. Just a something in good mechanical condition I want it to cost under $1000

·
Registered
10,485 Posts
This ain't the place for you.
Try DTT or a chopper board.

play dress up with a stupid budget some place else.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
The "I'm going to reinvent wheels of a little Honda and be the envy of all my friends" notion, is self abuse.

It's a waste of cash, the little you have. It's soul destroying because anything you build will ride like crap. How do I know this, you ask? Because of your dumb assumptions, and dumb questions that don't take any reality, or good advice into account.

What on Earth inspired you?

Stick to cars, there is far more carrying capacity for fat chicks and pure BS.

Buy an old Harley - Davidson Sportster Ironhead , they only come in XL size, and come with BS preinstalled. It doesn't even matter if its in boxes, or will never run again! It's all about " The BUILD, bro. " :)

Want proof? : The International Portal for Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Enthusiasts - The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum

There was a guy called Honda, who made really good little motorcycles, from a good little country. Buy a good one and just ride the sucker.

Danger, is my business."

21 - 32 of 32 Posts