Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I recently acquired a 1981 BMW R100 Airhead, and am having some trouble with the suspension. I am in the process of finishing the work the previous owner started, and am turning it into a cafe racer. To follow the general guideline of a cafe racer everything must be below the tank. My bike: View attachment 85881 doesnt have the handlebars below the tank, while this bike: bmw-r80-cafe-racer-roa-motorcycles-designboom-newsletter.jpg does. I am simply wondering how to fix this.

Thanks in advance,
Harry

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just drop your forks through your triple trees by about 3 inches.
Then get some ultra low rise clip ons to lower the handle bars. Dont worry about rearsets as its not a gp racer.
Remove any shit like indicators because they are not needed.
Then remove that shitty airbox to open your triangle right up, put pods on and it will add more german horses to that ride.
Remove the speedo and tach and just use your phone with an app as currently the clocks sticking above the tank are ruining the bone line.
Finally go for the open faced helmet and waxed tash and you will be the coolest guy at the fairtrade coffee stand
Oh and if possible get an early drum brake front end because the discs clutter up the front end unlike silky smooth looking drums

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I am in the process of finishing the work the previous owner started, and am turning it into a cafe racer. To follow the general guideline of a cafe racer everything must be below the tank.
where do people get this garbage?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Please lord.... let it be just another troll. Someone has to be fucking with the natives.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Come on, he is simply wondering how to fix this.... View attachment 85905
Is it wrong that there are some elements of that bike that I want to use on my own monolever? Not the lack of fenders, lack of mirrors, the clipon bars, knobby tires, or the headlight....but I like the color, painted wheels, and the shorty mufflers.

·
Registered
292 Posts
First thing don't lower it, it will handle worse then it does now. Second keep the bars above the top triple tree, why because unless you can support your upper body by your stomach your weight will be on your hands and wrists and after 20 mins it will start to suck. But you will not listen and how do I know it's going to happen this is my BMW IMG_3440.JPG

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
They're coming out of the woodwork all of a sudden...
The One Moto show was in Portland a couple weeks ago. Wonder if that has any correlation?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Hi all,

I recently acquired a 1981 BMW R100 Airhead, and am having some trouble with the suspension. I am in the process of finishing the work the previous owner started, and am turning it into a cafe racer. To follow the general guideline of a cafe racer everything must be below the tank. My bike: View attachment 85881 doesnt have the handlebars below the tank, while this bike: View attachment 85889 does. I am simply wondering how to fix this.

Thanks in advance,
Harry
my best advice
come morning pick up a bludgening object brick,iron skillet ,framing hammer etc
start just before sunrise in the yard out front and pummel yourself in the face over and over again...with any bludgening object..until the moron goes away

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Looking at the post now, i can see that the image of my bike isnt there: here it i
Ok Sunshine, I am going to give you a freekin clue since you don't really have one.
There are no guidelines for a cafe racer. Get that straight. It is your bike and you want it to perform as well as it can given the constraints within which you have to live. You don't have unlimited, money, skill or knowledge. Those are facts.
Here is another fact; Your bike is pretty close to being a decent bike that just needs a few things finished up and then you can ride it a lot and determine what else you would like to do.
Do This:
Put on some fenders
Put the tail light back where it belongs
Put on some turn signals
Put on some mufflers
Put on some stainless brake lines
Repack/ replace the steering head bearings
Service the brakes replace pads as needed with EBC or SBS pads
Replace your tires if they are old, cracked or cheap with Avon, Bridgestone or Metzler tires. You can use Dunlop or Pirelli if you really want to, but don't use Michelin on an Airhead
Do a complete service; carbs cables valves, oil change, electrical connections, lube pivots, etc...

Now, what is wrong with your suspension that a complete service, fork seal replacement and new springs won't fix?

Since you came on here asking the questions you asked, you don't need advice, since that implies you have the knowledge to make valid choices. You don't, so I am telling you what to do. If you do it, you will have a nice bike that you can ride around and have fun on since it will be better than it was. If you don't, you will have a POS that won't run right, be reliable or be any fun. You figure it out.

I know this makes me sound like a know-it-all internet tough guy jerk, but that doesn't mean I am not right. I have plenty of credibility for those that know me. I have been racing and building bikes since 1977. I have worked as a mechanic, service manager and race mechanic for a living in the past and I know what I am talking about.
Finally, you should do what I am telling you to do because I have absolutely no vested interest in getting you to do it or not as I have no strong preference one way or the other ( Isn't that nicer than saying I don't care?).

So, I am under no delusion that you will pay any attention to the one and only true answer to your problem, but I am still right.

Have a sparkly day and good luck.

Reactions: CaTacL1sm

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Michelin were my tyre of choice back in the late 80's (ME 48/49 I think). Mainly because they were a good bit cheaper than Metzelers.
It's been at least 12 years since I've used them though.
I've read good things about Michelin Pilots recently.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Michelin were my tyre of choice back in the late 80's (ME 48/49 I think). Mainly because they were a good bit cheaper than Metzelers.
It's been at least 12 years since I've used them though.
I've read good things about Michelin Pilots recently.
I have no problem with Michelins, really. That was just nonsense for my own amusement and at the OP's expense since he hasn't a clue. Michelins work as well as any other good tire.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts