Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of my best friends just picked up a used sportster about a month ago and learned to ride on the street. he is pulling the RUB lifestyle already, buying the chrome, the loud pipes, and the rest of the "me too" stuff. When he bought the bike, me and the rest of my friends convinced him to buy a safe, full faced helmet. 2 weeks later, he's got his drag pipes roaring and is helmetless. Man, we have all tried everything to get him to wear a helmet. i told him about how many times i would have been dead right now without a helmet (hell, ive had 4 concussions with one on!!) me and my friends have been commenting on his pictures on myspace and facebook about how he needs to wear one, and now he just has rude comebacks for all of us. he's a smart kid, just did a 20 month long stint in iraq, survived 2 convoy attacks, and is getting married in a couple of months, just got his first "real" job, bought a nice house, i mean the kid has something to live for. but man i'm at wits end at what i can do or say. i already know that when i get my bike back together, i am not going to ride with him as long as he's helmetless and i'm going to encourage my friends to do the same, but i dont think that will help either. he has some rub buddies from what i hear that even do the whole bandana around the face thing. if you guys have any advice at all let me know because i am starting to get pretty upset about it. i always make fun of guys who don't wear a helmet, or ride in flip flops, and my friends listen to me because they know i've crashed while racing so many times...i am the most experience crasher in the group!! but i can't get sean to listen to me. thanks for the advice

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Maybe you can invite him to ride your bike (with a helmet) so that he can get a sense of what the rest of the motorcycle world feels like.

I don't know, it's like a disease with some people but after having gone through his recent military experience maybe this is his therapy....

FR

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I don't know if personal stories are going to wake this guy up - more than likely not. With him being a new rider, it's not if he will have an incident it's only a matter of time before something will happen.

Me personally; since the beginning of this riding season, I've had two cars pull out in front of me, several animals jump out and cross my path and just last night while leaned into a corner, I hit some loose sand in the road (that I did not see or expect) and did a two wheel slide through the corner. If it wasn't for my extensive riding and my racing experience, I would have been run over twice or in the weeds several times (especially last night). It happens that quick and very unexpectedly.

Since he is Iraq Vet (thanks for his service btw) ask him how many times he went into combat without his helmet and why??? Better yet - ask him what the kill rate is for a newbie in combat - guess what this is combat and he is a newbie...

You can still look cool and protect yourself.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
tyler,

there seems to be something about riding a h-d helmetless and no facial expression. it appears helmet less riding makes you to cool riding a h-d. I don't get it!! I refuse to go riding with out a helmet. hope you can convince him. heck even one of those half skid lids are better than nothing.

good luck and thanks for being concerned.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's not riding my bike...one, because it is blow up right now, and two, because he can't handle it. it has 30 year old brakes, and you have to be hanging on when it comes on the pipes! HAHAHAHA! but man, we have tried the combat helmet thing and he just shrugged it off and refused to make the connection. i really don't think he has had a close call yet on the bike (which is surprising) but hopefully he'll have a close call before he has a crash that will wake him up. at first he said he was going to get a skid lid because he didnt like his full face, but i guess he decided that $80 was too much to spend on his head. i'm going to try the refuse to ride bit...maybe it will work, but he has met a bunch of new RUB buddies, so i guess he'll just ride with them instead. hopefully something works sooner rather than later, thanks for the ideas guys!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
i can't help but think that his experiences in iraq might play some role in what might well be an impression of immortality or invincibility. i hope fates got simiilar intentions for his motorcycling endeavors. i hate to think of the idea of a returning vet, who saw active combat, getting taken out by some half dead 120 year old q-tip turning an escalade left into an international house of pancakes parking lot.

...keep on him.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Hey, our new IHOP is open now!

There's two kinds of riders: Those who have crashed, and those who are going to.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Hell, bugs hurt at 75mph through my leathers. So does rain. I can't imagine getting hit in the face by a junebug on the highway. Or getting a rock kicked up....

Most rubs barely ride, just sticking to the highway, so he probably won't experience anything negative about not wearing a helmet before his first crash.

Its his choice. Sounds like hes the type where the more you push, the more he resists.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The best thing you can do is buy a dark suit and a black tie and wait. He isn't going to listen to you. You've done what you can. Its his life to lose. Keep at him about helmet wearing. Maybe he'll see sense before its too late.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Tyler,

I have been riding since I could walk and when I was younger it was cool to not wear a helmet. The thing that got me comfortable with wearing a helmet was being forced to, depending on his age a mother can strike the fear of god into a son. I am in my mid 20’s and still say that the only thing that scares me is my mother. As far as the combat helmet, in the army they tell you that the helmet makes sure you can have an open casket funeral. A shot from an AK47 has the force to snap you neck. Worst case let him know he doesn’t have to wear the big and bulky helmet here is a link to a site I found today with some real slim line helmets. You're doing the right thing man, keep on him.

http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/noveltyhelmets.htm

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah man, i mean this is one of my best friends. i prayed every night for him to get back from iraq safe, even bought a webcam so we could chat (got to see free scorpion fights too!!) and i have lost 3 friends of mine in the last 5 years, one to a bike crash and i just don't want to go through it all again. he is about to get married, adopt his fiance's daughter, i mean, his whole life ahead of him and i just wish he'd get his head (and helmet) screwed on straight before something happens. i can only hope that alienating him will make him wear one, but there are enough rubs around here that he will probably fit in. i wonder how he'll feel when the other 6 of us take off for the dragon and leave him behind?? oh yeah...today was ride to work day today...and of you guys participate? i sort of did, my blown motor is in my front seat of my truck.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:Originally posted by oneworden
big and bulky helmet here is a link to a site I found today with some real slim line helmets. You're doing the right thing man, keep on him.

Those aren't helmets, those are hats. Helmets absorb impact. Those won't.

" In the event you get into an accident, motorized or non-motorized, and sustain any kind of injury while wearing one of our Novelty Motorcycle Helmets. Advanced Carbon Composites Inc and Head Trip Helmets is not responsible and assumes no liability."

Unless you were joking. Then HAHA.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote:got to see free scorpion fights too!!
I remember those from my Army days in TX. Two scorpions in a .50 cal ammo can never fails to entertain.

I participated in Ride to work day, as I did yesterday and Monday. My F-250 costs too much to use as a commuter these days.

·
Registered
854 Posts
quote:Originally posted by UngaWunga

quote:Originally posted by oneworden
big and bulky helmet here is a link to a site I found today with some real slim line helmets. You're doing the right thing man, keep on him.

Those aren't helmets, those are hats. Helmets absorb impact. Those won't.

" In the event you get into an accident, motorized or non-motorized, and sustain any kind of injury while wearing one of our Novelty Motorcycle Helmets. Advanced Carbon Composites Inc and Head Trip Helmets is not responsible and assumes no liability."

Unless you were joking. Then HAHA.
oops sorry about that, i have been looking at the Novelty helmets, i meant to pass along the link to the DOT helmets. i know that they are slimmer that the HJC half shells. i have a big head and get a complex wearing a big helmet.

http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/dothelmets.htm

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Even those aren't helmets. Being made of carbon fiber doesn't mean anything other than the helmet will be a little lighter. Its the padding inside the helmet that protects your skull and, more importantly, your brain. That padding is all your brain has to decelerate it from its vertical speed to zero. The thinner it is, the worse off you are. Period. The shell is just there to protect the inner padding and hold a pretty paint job.

BTW, DOT helmets are hair protectors. All you need to do to get a DOT sticker is say that your in compliance with their rules. There's no testing. Which is why they're so cheap.

Buy yourself a good helmet. This has been covered before. SNELL 2005 or one of the European testing standards is what you should look for. Yes, yes... the Motorcyclist magazine article said SNELL might be too firm, but its much better than 90% of the DOT crap being peddled as protective gear. Or buy a Aria or Shoei with whatever the Euro standard is.

Get a pretty paint job or design on it if you're worried about looks.

But this is coming from someone who dresses like this:
http://www.clarity.net/~paul/images/bike/rat_patrol/rp2k/P8040014.jpg
http://www.clarity.net/~paul/images/bike/rat_patrol/rp2k/P8050024.jpg

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have an HJCac-12 carbon....I get more compliments with that on than people telling me how good looking I am.

In all seriousness though, take your buddy to visit someone who has had a sever motorcycle accident. might scare him straight. Or take him dirt biking and after he has fallen for the dozen-th time he might get it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts