Cafe Racer Forum banner

Needed: 1975 CB 200 Cafe Racer Advice and Ideas

19K views 82 replies 18 participants last post by  CB Racer 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, below is the current state of my 1975 CB200. I plan to convert it to a cafe racer, but I will need your help, advice, and ideas on the best ways to accomplish my goals! My ideas so far are:

1. Replace the air filters with Foam unifilters.

2. (Maybe) Upgrade the carbs.

3. Chop the exhaust, then add a new and shorter tip and virtually straight pipe it.

4. Find a half or full fairing that will fit my bike and think of a color/design for it.

5. Modify (reshape) my seat.

6. Upgrade the front brakes (CB200 brakes aren't very good.)

7. (Maybe) Put on rear sets.

I'll take whatever advice or recommendations you people have about what to do/buy for my bike. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
quote:7. (Maybe) Put on rear sets.
Not Maybe, just put them on!

Try to find some rearsets of a modern-day supersports-bike and adapt them on your bike.

I'm going to fit some GSX-R 750 '91 rearsets to my GT. I only have to make three braces. As long as you haven't got two left hands it'll be easy to make something fit.

Maybe you should change your bar for clip-ons;)

#3 ·
Even if you don't have much knowledge about welding, almost any muffler or radiator repair shop can weld something together for you. It might cost you a hundered bucks, but atleast it will get done. Depends on how much you want it. I've seen many universal rearsets on eBay. Check them out. Or like Streetfighter89 said, adapt a set from a newer bike. They have cheap ones on eBay or even Craigslist.

#4 ·
You might just put a set of billet pegs on your rear peg mounts and fab up a shifter and brake pedel to fit, I've found that to be a cheep and fairly simple solution. I've also fit '90's rear sets to the older hondas with good results,It's most important to have it comfortable ,and safe, to ride. You can ride your bike,now, and test the rear pegs for rideing position and comfort, also you dont have to wory about ground clearence issues.To upgrade the frontend, just fit a complete front of a newer(90's) Honda, they are lighter, have beter suspention and brakes, and there are lots on e-bay.

#5 ·
While the seat is being reshaped, it has given me time to think about and research my next steps. I haven't been able to find any front ends or rear sets off of other bikes, but I'll keep looking. If anyone finds something, please let me know!

I have been really researching carburetors and camshaft regrinds, but I just don't know enough about either one to know what is best for my bike (Help please!?) I want speed (100 MPH max) but I also want something that will comfortably cruise at maybe 70 MPH and lower.

As always, I'd appreciate any advice!

#6 ·
Ok, so during my research for a front end, I realized that I should replace/upgrade both my wheels while I am at it. I started with a 2005 kawi ninja 250 rear wheel that really SEEMS like it will fit after a lil' bit of encouragement, and pending its fitting, I will soon be buying the front end to match! Pics coming a later!

Due to popular demand, I bought some cheap-used rearsets off a CBR 600 as well and will be fitting them as soon as time permits. On a different note, I am still researching fairings... I think I am going to go with a carbon fiber half fairing from www.tga.co.uk . I am not sure about carbs... mikuni vm 20 or 22 seem like good upgrades, but I can only find carb's for the left side. I am in the process of researching carbs off a Honda sl 350 or just making the jets on my stock carbs bigger... we'll see what happens there.

Lastly, I am curious as to whether Ninja 250 mufflers will fit in place of my stock mufflers.

Oh yeah, the rims come black, but I don't like black for this application... I was thinking chrome for a more original look or yellow to match the tank as I will not be putting the side covers back on... any ideas? Thanks!

p.s. I am rebuilding/cleaning the engine now...

#8 ·
Drilling jets is almost allways a bad deal, I've never heard anything but horror stories about it!!Buy a jet kit, you'll be glad you did.bigger carbs is more of a 2-stroke deal, you said you want to cruise comfortably, a lot of radical emgine mods will make your motor peekish and narrow power band. My 450 is working pretty hard to cruise at 70 most of the time, your 200 is going to be working harder. If your going to open it up to do the cam, then bore it bigger and maby port it some also. If you can find a better exaust system too, these will give you the best power gains. Hondas are also heavy, anything you can do to reduce weight is a free power boost and probably the best "bang for buck". The stock exaust is usualy a heavy item, the cemterstand and tailight, grabrail,buddypegs can all go or be replaced with smaller lighter stuff. some steel brackets can be replaced with aluminum if you're handy. Deleteing the starter ( if you don't mind kickstarting only) also allows a smaller battery and less wireing, a big weight saveings. It is a real power boost, try doing 70 with a rider, then single, if you can shave 50 or 60 lbs it will be a noticable gain. You can alway put it back. Nice looking bike!

#10 ·
I'm pretty sure Chicagoland is supposed to be one word, not Chicago land...

And:

quote:... mikuni vm 20 or 22 seem like good upgrades, but I can only find carb's</u> for the left side...

This use of the possessive is incorrect. You're not talking about something which belongs to that carb. I suspect you intended to use the plural "carbs"... no apostrophe.

No wonder one cannot ever read their doctor's handwriting... Doctors are trying to disguise their deficient English. Good luck in school.

#11 ·
Oh... Ninja mufflers will fit your bike. Any mufflers will fit your bike, if you're willing to put the work into making them fit. I have Ninja 250 mufflers on my cb350:

Pipe diameters are exactly the same, so they don't just slip right on. I used an exhaust joint from Murray's Auto. I don't know diameter of 250 pipes, but suspect the situation will be similar for you. Also, the bends in the Ninja inlet pipes cause interference with my rearsets. It's rideable, but I really need to reposition the pipes, or straighten out the bends, or lengthen the pipes, or something... The way it's set up now, my boot heels rest on the hot mufflers.

I have absolutely no idea how they affect the performance of my bike, being designed for a smaller, more modern engine.

#12 ·
quote:Originally posted by CB Racer

Hey everyone, below is the current state of my 1975 CB200. I plan to convert it to a cafe racer, but I will need your help, advice, and ideas on the best ways to accomplish my goals!
My thoughts:

Forget the carbon fiber fairing. Forget the cast wheels. Forget the engine mods for now.

You've started out with a nice base for a vintage styled project. It seems like you're trying to make it look/perform like a modern bike. Why?

Carbon fiber has no place on this bike. Carbon fiber is the sportbiker's answer to chrome. It's overpriced/overused/misused and doesn't belong on a vintage bike to begin with.

Ditto on the cast wheels. They won't look right. If you have to upgrade the wheels, buy alloy rims. Why is the Ninja rear wheel an improvement over what you already have?

Straight pipes SUCK on street vehicles. They aren't cool, they are annoying, and from what I'm guessing you haven't got the resources to make them work right anyway.

Heed the advice you've been given on engine mods. Small engines modified for max power are peaky little bastards that aren't that fun to ride on the street IMHO. (But then I prefer large bore V-twins so I may be biased).

When thinking about the mods you are making, keep in mind how they will effect the practicality of the bike and how that will effect your enjoyment of it. I've got a bike or two that are nice to look at, track days are cool, but day to day usage pretty much sucks. A peaky little 200 that makes zero power down low isn't going to be much fun around town.

All in all, seeing your goals and the bike you've started with remind me of the story where I guy stops and asks a farmer for directions. The farmer says "If I was trying to get there, I wouldn't start from here..."

#13 ·
Wow... whatever I did to get your attention, I like it. Ok, let me go down the list of responses and give thanks and clarification where needed:

streetfighter89: Thanks for your two cents about the seat, I will have to look into that. As for the rims, this whole thing is really just an experiment in style; I would like to keep an "original" look, but with a modern twist, hence, I thought if I chromed the ninja 250 rims, I might keep the original spoked look.

oldhondacafe: It's always a pleasure to get advice from you. Thanks for the tidbit about carb jets. It is exactly my plan to strip every little piece possible off this bike to reduce the weight. I am already ahead of you in regards to the exhaust, which is why I was checking out ninja 250 exhausts. And lastly, I would love to strip the starter off and go kickstart only (kickstarters are one of the reasons why I love old bikes!)

texmawby: You've been reading my bio. A charity race is where people pay to race and the proceeds go to a charity (a little bit could go to the winner.) I really wouldn't want to go hardcore with racing (too much time and money), but charity races are always fun and I think it's an awesome way to raise funds for certain charities.

Judeyramone: Are you a grammar teacher or something? You should know that while English Composition was not my favorite subject by far, the ability to use the English language well is a requirement for all doctors, and for most part, I think I am quite good at it. My excuse for the last post is that I was typing pretty fast and my mental grammer check system was down due to the few beers I finished off earlier that evening. But thanks for the corrections, you are correct. Oh, and thanks for the pic of your bike with the ninja exhausts. I kind of figured that there would be interference with the rearsets.

And lastly, desmodog: Thanks for the input. Like I said earlier, this whole project is really just an experiment is style. I disagree with you, though, about the fairing. I have seen many good looking cafe racers with half fairings. And I feel that the modern wheels, being wider, would enhance turning, and while I haven't checked yet, may even be lighter. You would be happy to know, however, that I have abandoned the straight pipe idea and will most likely be going with a ninja 250 exhaust. As for everything else, I would like to say that practicality is at the top of my list (next to fun), but again this whole project is an experiment and learning experience for me. And as for the joke, the whole point is to see just what could be achieved out this little 35 year old twin, and if I don't achieve what I am looking for, well, then at least I know I tried.

Thanks everyone! Keep up the advice/criticism!

#17 ·
quote:You've been reading my bio.
Tex reads everyone's bio.

quote: Are you a grammar teacher or something?
Unemployed truck driver/crane operator/college dropout...
English is your tongue, fella. Take some pride in using it correctly.

If this is your only bike, keep it stock, make it run correctly and finish the degree... establish a practice, make lots of money & then begin a project to make the rest of us envious of your stupendous income.

That bike looks pretty good as is. If it runs, use it for a commuter. If not, make it do so.

#20 ·
CB200 brakes aren't very good? I see a disk brake on there. You've got a 200lb bike and you're a young dude so you probably are really skinny. How much do you weigh? You're not going to be doing the IOM TT on this thing - I don't see why that brake isn't very good unless it's all glazed and the pads are shot to hell.

Anyway, if you must make this cool little tiddler into a cafe, just hop up the motor as much as you can, including the ignition and exhaust, add new brake components where needed, install rear sets, leave the tank alone except for a different color, make a bump seat for it and get good tires on it. Air filters? . . . . you'll be running new carby's with stacks and screens. Bodywork? Fairing? what for?

#21 ·
i like the way this thread is turning...as it gives me another opportunity for a shameless plug.

christopher, if you want to keep your CB200 as is.....i do have some Suzuki T500 Titans that i'm trying to sell. $1500 takes both. you're 12 hours from me (philly), however i could get them to Akron, Ohio for you....and leave them at Crooked River Ducati/MV or with the famous Stan Lipert at the Lipert Engineering Skunkwerks!

wanna come over to the darkside (2stroke awesometown)? hell the one T500 already has clubmans on it!

let me know.

tex

#22 ·
There you go, Christopher. Do some research on the T500 Zook - They would make an outstanding project, check out the Sundial Racing Vintage Suzuki site and just see how many of these guys hot rod T500's - very viable project "Sundial Racing vintage Suzuki 2-stroke forum" - you'll need to Google, sorry.

Be warned though, a 2 stroke bomber like a Suzuki, Bultaco, Kawasaki or Yamaha is for men with hair on their chests. :) You'll be fine as long as you can hold on!

#24 ·
quote:Originally posted by trepanned23

Care to weigh in, kenessex?
I'll weigh in although I am not sure I understand the question.
First Chris mentioned in his first post that he wanted to accomplish his goals. He never stated his goals, just an ill advised list of things he was planning on doing to that poor CB200T. So I don't know what he wants. Do you? I wonder if he does?

So, since I don't know where he wants to go I'll throw out all kinds of free advice.
Chris,
1. Leave that poor little CB200T alone. It didn't do anything to you so stop picking on it. It is what it is. If you have to do something to it then just put on some better shocks, put new seals and oi in the front forks, put on good tires ( Bridgestone BT 45), tune it up and enjoy it.

2. If you want a good cafe project, get the T-500s from Tex. They have way more potential and will be useful bikes when you are done. They are in fact 2 stroke works of the devil, but are easy to work on and fun to ride when you are done. They will have some real performance. If it were me, I would take the street legal T 500 and ride it while I build the motor and fit up parts to the other frame. Then I would just transfer all the cool stuff to the titled frame and miss minimal down time. That way you will be able to set realistic goals and still be riding.

Ken

#25 ·
Well, I rarely see an old 200 in such good condition. Look at that seat. That is the overriding reason why it should, IMHO, remain just like it is - except for the paint color - M.O. again. I'd paint it blue with the sparkly stuff in it. Pearl Blue and White.

The natural progression of any cafe racer enthusiast is to eventually go racing. This is what I firmly believe so I naturally assume that Chris will at some point very soon want to "grid up" somewhere.

The T500 is the bike for that, This 200 is for showing off in the neighborhood.

#26 ·
Sparkly blue? Seriously? I agree, the yellow sucks. Should find some nice clean parts for it in the original pea soup green. Now that would be cool.

I'm not sure "showing off" is quite what one would do with this (very cool indeed) little bike. Not gonna impress a lot of people in Chicago with it. To big a scene there. Could show it off here, of course.

Ken, you make me laugh.

So it's decided... NOS sparkly green paint (we need to keep the pad on the top of that tank... extra cool). Otherwise, we keep it pretty much as is. Tune-up & cleaning, and commute to med school. Cafe project T500 after college. Everyone agreed?

Glad we got that settled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.