Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my neighbor made me a deal I couldn't refuse. Has this 04 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1500. He bought it 5 years ago for $4k, put only 4k miles on it, totalling 40k on it now. It's in perfect gargagekept condition. Needs a clutch, slippping badly, really badly. Told me he was wanting to sell it, needs money for a Jeep project, wants $2k for the Nomad. I go home and research and see it is well worth that in it's current condition. Costs less than $100 for clutch fix. I think on it for a few days telling myself "I'll offer him $1750, he won't take it. " I said this a bunch for a couple days and then saw him ride down our street on it. Thought he was getting ready to put a clutch in. Went and talked to him, said he was just moving it out of the drive to set up for a football party on Sat. I told him I really didn't want the bike, but if he'd take $1800 I'll pay cash. He said he couldn't take less than $2k for it. I siad I understand. He sat there looking at for a few minutes and then said "Fuck it, I'm tired of looking at it, I'll take $1800". Never thought I'd see the day I would own a 900lb motorcycle. This thing is a behemouth but comfortable on the road.

IMG_20190920_153306727.jpg

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Any plans to make it lighter or are you going to drive it as is?
Absolutely not. Sole purpose of the buy was to make my wallet heavier. I ordered $60 worth of clutch parts, as soon as they arrive , it will go back together and onto the market. Surprised how easy a clutch is to do on this bike , even though it requires removing a section of frame to ge to one 8mm bolt on the cover. I had it apart in about 10 minutes , but could not get the 120lb 27mm nut off the shaft with my new 1/2" Husky impact. Heat, breaker bar, nothting worked. I ran up to the diesel shop to see if I could borrow a 3/4" impact, but it had huge hose fittings I couldn't use. I said let me try your 1/2 Matco impact. He siad it would be the same as my 1/2". He was wrong, it came off like butter with his. Neat cltuch arrangment, no clutch springs per se. It has a combination of concave washers (3), with one big one on the outside. Seems it's this large washer is what wears and causes slippage. I ordered a Barnett replacement ($16)and a set of fiber plates ($60). I miked the old plates and they are in spec, I think the large washer will correct it. So I'm thinking of not wasting new plates and hope the washer is the fix. If not, I'll be pulling back open to replace the plates.

Of course I will ride it until it sells. It has a wrap, under it is the factory metallic red and gold. Has a windshield, luggage racks for over the license plate and on top of the bags. Hard Lexan wind deflectors for the crash bars and leather covers for them for the winter riding. Also a leather dash cover, brand new tires and a new battery.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After my heart surgery a couple years ago I have lost a little bit of weight and hover around 165lbs. You guys know my bikes are light (332lbs, and 360lbs). This thing is 900lbs. I already dropped coming out of my drive, thankfully slow/stopped and onto the crash bars. The seller warned me I would not be able to pick it up if it was on the crash bars. Well I was able to right it, but I had to do it from the right side. Once it's up it is very awkwardand is not easily balanced. So there I am standing there holding it up but not able to through a leg over the back rest without throwing the balance off. So being on an incline, I had to stand there with the front brake on and wait for someone, anyone to drive by or happen by. Then the new girl in the trailer next door came out and I yelled for her to please help me, please lower the kickstand. One the stand was donw I could get the balance to the left side, straddle it get it started. I don't think I added much to the scratches on the crash bars that he told I would scrap in decent turns even though the bike wants to stick and take it. I wouldn't mind taking a trip up north and back with it, but doubt I'll consider keeping it. I got a bus to finish and a road to hit. My buddy dropped by today with his GB500/600. He sold it 15 years ago and saw it recently on Craigslist, knew it was his from the red 600 cylinder and red swingarm. He bought it back for $4k, pulled the clip-ons and passenger sets off and put it back to a low Euro bar foot position.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have never owned....in my entire life..... a bike I have enjoyed so much as my 900lb cruiser.

I ever dropped mine but what was hard for me to get use to was the forward controls. It took some getting use to navigating in tight spots with what seemed like my feet in the recliner position. 500 mile days are WAY easier on a 1000lb machine versus a 400lb machine.

Enjoy the ride

1 - 10 of 10 Posts