Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
As I said before, the injector alters the mix on the fly based on rpm. That's an improvement over pre-mix. Other than that, I agree that it's a matter of preference.

·
Registered
372 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Fang

quote:Originally posted by tabby

Am I missing something here? "Upgraded suspension"??? Where is it?
OEM looking shocks?? No fork fender/brace? I'm not seeing ANY upgrades there. Unless the fork internals have been RaceTeched,,, and I kinda doubt that seeing they had the,,,, ahhhh,,,, good mind to run without a brace.
Look again at the rear shocks. The fronts are fresh/rebuilt and have been progressive-ified.
I looked at those shocks. Maybe a better picture would help. If there is a damping adjustment on the top, I can't see it. I do see OEM ramp style pre-load adjustment. If those are an upgrade, it ain't much of one. Like wise with the forks, progressive springs? Tiny upgrade,,,, still, no fender/fork brace. This thing was used for track days??? As it sits, I wouldn't go near a race track with it. OK, if someone is on a really tight budget, I might be more forgiving. Still, I'm just not seeing that it has been prepped for the track anywhere near how I'd do it, and I never raced one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I can try and get a better picture of the shocks up later this evening maybe ... though I might not be getting home until after dark, so that will make it a little tricky as my working space is in the driveway at the moment, and I have limited lighting.

Fang and I drink awesome beer almost every week. Hopefully one of these days we'll be riding our RDs to the Black Start CoOp for that beer drinking (just a few beers with snacks of course).

Also, I'm ordering a fork brace today, so that should make things mo butta. Another friend of mine suggested using copper anti-seize when I put this thing on... that or rub down the threads with grease.

I'll try and rotate the plate sometime this week. Don't want to get pulled over just because of that. That would be unfortunate.

Anywho, I'll post some more pics first chance I get. Thx.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
One thing no-one mentioned about pre-mix, if you use it you have to re-jet or it runs lean.
The oil displaces fuel so it's running lean all the time by whatever ratio your running, extra oil makes it run leaner and also hotter (usually 3%~5%lean)

·
Registered
372 Posts
quote:Originally posted by crazypj

One thing no-one mentioned about pre-mix, if you use it you have to re-jet or it runs lean.
The oil displaces fuel so it's running lean all the time by whatever ratio your running, extra oil makes it run leaner and also hotter (usually 3%~5%lean)
Oh man, excellent advice!!! He should find out what his bike is mixed to,,, or a good ratio, and dial it in from there, if he doesn't go back to the injector. Then leave the ratio ALONE and don't dick with it. I still run into people that don't understand that, and I'm not a two stroke dude.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The bike has been running a pre-mix ratio of 32:1. At this point there is probably no reason to adjust that since that's where it's been running well.

quote:Originally posted by tabby

quote:Originally posted by crazypj

Oh man, excellent advice!!! He should find out what his bike is mixed to,,, or a good ratio, and dial it in from there, if he doesn't go back to the injector. Then leave the ratio ALONE and don't dick with it. I still run into people that don't understand that, and I'm not a two stroke dude.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
PJ is the man! Good point. I forget what Yamaha called for in its 2-strokes in the late 60's, but it's WAY more oil than the injector would be giving it.

When they first introduced Autolube (oil injection), they said this:

"YAHAMA AUTO LUBE
1: WHAT IS THE YAMAHA AUTO LUBE?
The Yamaha Auto Lube is an automatic lubricating device for 2-cycle engine newly devloped by Yamaha Technical Research Institute. It controls the amount of oil depending both on the engine RPM and on the load under any operating conditions and forces the proper amount of oil to the engine all the times by means of the precision machined pump.

As a result, the new Yamaha 2-cycle engine does not use the gasoline-oil mixture that other makers' engines must do. It is for the first time in the world such a device was applied to the production model of 2-cycle engine. The Yamaha Auto Lube is the best of the lubricating systems for 2-cycle engine.

2: AUTO LUBE FEATURES
Conventional lubricating systems use the gasoline-oil mixture in a fixed ratio of 20:1. This ratio was determined as a compromise between optimum lubrication at top speed and full throttle (16:1) and at no load idling (120:1)

In operation, tests show that the ratio of 60:1 to 80:1 is sufficient for riding 40 to 60km/h with the throttle 1/5 to 1/4 open: and that even 120:1 is sufficient for idling at low RPM with throttle 1/8 open position Of closed. Therefore, if the gasoline-oil mixetur
is used in the fixed ratio of 20: 1 regardless of the speed and the throttle-opening, it leads to excessive oiling except when driving at full throttle.

Since Auto-lube controls the amount of oil according to both engine RPM and load under any operating conditions and forces the proper amount of oil to the engine at any time, the engine is freed from any troubles caused by excessive oiling. Perfomance has been improved because the new fresh oil is always applied to the lubrication surfaces."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well, I order the Fork Brace yesterday. Ron of RSWRacing is out on recovery from surgery, so it won't be sent out until Monday... :( No weekend application. Oh well.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Sounds great reving in the garage but how about a "flyby" video.

I hate to say it but man that seat is ugly. RDs don't look right to me without something like a TZ tail or a Laguna seat.

Something like this solves your taillight, plate and ugly seat issues:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FLAT-TRACK-STREET-TRACKER-CAFE-SEAT-ASSEMBLY-/150661021619?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231418bfb3#ht_500wt_722

I dont know if you can still buy from Moto carrera but their seats page should give you some better ideas since they are RD specslists:
http://www.motocarrera.com/seats02.htm

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Flyby video will come. I'll have my wife film it. Not sure my dad is the guy to film any video, hah.

Yea, any changes to the seat and what not will have to wait a while. Need to save some fundage first. Thanks for the links.

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Sounds great reving in the garage but how about a "flyby" video.

I hate to say it but man that seat is ugly. RDs don't look right to me without something like a TZ tail or a Laguna seat.

Something like this solves your taillight, plate and ugly seat issues:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FLAT-TRACK-STREET-TRACKER-CAFE-SEAT-ASSEMBLY-/150661021619?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231418bfb3#ht_500wt_722

I dont know if you can still buy from Moto carrera but their seats page should give you some better ideas since they are RD specslists:
http://www.motocarrera.com/seats02.htm

41 - 52 of 52 Posts